Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Listen, I've been duped by "English-speaking" pizza places before.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: January 2008 blogs - Haxall's Pandemonium Chlorodyne.  (Read 19902 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: January 2008 blogs - Haxall's Pandemonium Chlorodyne.
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2008, 05:33:44 am »

there are so many awesome ancestral names in my family. I am always kind of sad that there were so many good last names, and I ended up with a boring one. All crazy Irish names on one side, all crazy Spanish/apparently Sephardic names on the other side, and I end up with a pretty-uncommon but ultimately boring English name.
My grandfather's mother's last name was "Hoare," though. At least I dodged that bullet.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: January 2008 blogs - Haxall's Pandemonium Chlorodyne.
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2008, 05:38:10 am »

My grandfather's mother's last name was "Hoare," though. At least I dodged that bullet.

I knew a chick in college whose last name was Kuntz.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: January 2008 blogs - Haxall's Pandemonium Chlorodyne.
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2008, 05:54:10 am »

Did she major in Bond Girl Studies?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: January 2008 blogs - Haxall's Pandemonium Chlorodyne.
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2008, 06:24:19 am »

Mandy. It's gotta be Amanda, yes? I love that name, because I had a friend named Amanda who was kickass.

Ding ding ding. Ironically, I decided by the time I was about six that I wasn't going by "Mandy" anymore, and these days I pretty much only let my grandparents get away with it. (And my parents, admittedly, but only on occasion.)
Logged

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: January 2008 blogs - Haxall's Pandemonium Chlorodyne.
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2008, 07:17:59 am »

My parents fourth choice for my name was "Ajax," but they settled for their #2 choice.

I wish I was Ajax.
Logged
ACHIEVE

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: January 2008 blogs - Haxall's Pandemonium Chlorodyne.
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2008, 07:39:14 am »

Ding ding ding. Ironically, I decided by the time I was about six that I wasn't going by "Mandy" anymore, and these days I pretty much only let my grandparents get away with it. (And my parents, admittedly, but only on occasion.)

See, I was actually hoping you were a girl named Mindy. Or a guy named Andy.
Logged

colmore

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 56
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 379
  • Sorry Mom, Sorry Dad, Sorry College
    • View Profile
Re: January 2008 blogs - Haxall's Pandemonium Chlorodyne.
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2008, 01:10:19 pm »

My first and last names are so boring as to be presidential surnames, and they aren't Van Buren.  My middle name (grandmother's maiden) can be traced to a Welsh castle that dates back to at least the 9th century.  And the Normans didn't take us.  I guess the moral here is that if your family has owned property in Britain for a long time, there's pretty much no limit to how far back you (or in my case, your dad) can go with genealogy.
Logged
In Capitalist America, bank robs you!

colmore

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 56
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 379
  • Sorry Mom, Sorry Dad, Sorry College
    • View Profile
Re: January 2008 blogs - Haxall's Pandemonium Chlorodyne.
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2008, 01:18:17 pm »

"Boy named Sue" is right on.  Dealing with the social handicap of a weird name toughens you up for the adult world where people will give you even harsher disrespect for even more meaningless reasons.

I plan on giving my children ridiculous Victorian names, or the adjectival forms of obscure virtues.

Little Gertrude Vivian and August Maximilian Adams might have a tough time on the playground, but at least the jackets of their collected poems (posthumous after joint suicide) will look great.
Logged
In Capitalist America, bank robs you!

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: January 2008 blogs - Haxall's Pandemonium Chlorodyne.
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2008, 05:09:04 pm »

Ding ding ding. Ironically, I decided by the time I was about six that I wasn't going by "Mandy" anymore, and these days I pretty much only let my grandparents get away with it. (And my parents, admittedly, but only on occasion.)

My cousin waited 'til she was seventeen to decide she was making the switch to "Amanda," but none of us can remember until we're halfway through.  This results in her name almost always coming out as Man....nda." 

Awkward. 

My dad wanted to name me Courtney Lynn.  Mom wanted Jamie Jean.  (Dad's name is Gene.)  I got Jamie Lynn.  Thank heaven for small favors.  I'm not a Courtney, and Jamie Jean just sounds country. 

To answer inev's question, Pedro decided before he met me that he wanted to name his son after himself.  I was cool with that (I love his name, anyway) as long as we didn't call him "Junior."  We're pretty like-minded when it comes to names, we both like unusual names and we both like the idea of honoring our families by naming our children after grandparents, etc. 

"Hero" is a departure from this, but the middle name, Elizabeth, was my great-grandmother's name.  If she turns out to be a boy after all, or if we have another son later, he'll be Robert Eugene (after my parents, Roberta and Eugene).  Pedro, however, prefers my grandfather's name instead of my father's -- Elton -- but I hate that name so I nixed it.  If we ever have another girl, Pedro wants to name her Jamilyn [unspecified middle name] (after me) and I want to name her Catherine Grace (after Catherine the Great and also my mom's youngest sister; Grace is for Pedro's mother, Graciela).  But he doesn't like the nickname "Cathy."  (I keep reminding him that Catherine also = Cat, Kit, Catie, etc.)  So: no, we never had names with weird associations, but there are some names one or the other of us just doesn't like.  There are plenty to go around, though.  I never understood why some couples could never reach agreement on this.  Pedro and I always found it pretty easy. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: January 2008 blogs - Haxall's Pandemonium Chlorodyne.
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2008, 06:17:06 pm »

I'm sorry, but if your child's first name is "Hero" their middle name must be "Protagonist". 

It's not just good sense.  It's the law.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: January 2008 blogs - Haxall's Pandemonium Chlorodyne.
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2008, 06:24:01 pm »

I'm sorry, but if your child's first name is "Hero" their middle name must be "Protagonist". 

It's not just good sense.  It's the law.

Come on, AW.  That's a boy's name! 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: January 2008 blogs - Haxall's Pandemonium Chlorodyne.
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2008, 06:53:03 pm »

Those of you who have kids-- did you run into problems where you had bad associations with names you liked? There are a lot of names that are ruined for me, I think, because it would be weird to name my child the same as an ex girlfriend, or that kid in high school who blasted Kenny Chesney when pulling his truck into the parking lot every day.
Oh yes.  My wife liked "Shannon", but the name has associations for me with one of the nastiest tempered girls I've run into (junior high days).  I liked "Jason" for a boy, but my wife hated some kids in high school with the name.  Its a good thing gestating a kid takes so long.  Plenty of time for name negotiations.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: January 2008 blogs - Haxall's Pandemonium Chlorodyne.
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2008, 10:45:27 pm »

"Boy named Sue" is right on.  Dealing with the social handicap of a weird name toughens you up for the adult world where people will give you even harsher disrespect for even more meaningless reasons.

I plan on giving my children ridiculous Victorian names, or the adjectival forms of obscure virtues.

Little Gertrude Vivian and August Maximilian Adams might have a tough time on the playground, but at least the jackets of their collected poems (posthumous after joint suicide) will look great.

I really like August as a boy's name (although I associate it not with Victoriana but with German farm people -- it was my grandfather's middle name), and I've liked Vivienne as a girl's name since the first time I heard it. Then again, I also have to deal with the legacy of my father's Ancestral Middle Name (all the dudes in his family for about five generations have been Something Enrique -- I would have been Andrew Enrique, had I been male), so I suspect I'll have to go with a normal male name by default just to balance it out.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: January 2008 blogs - Haxall's Pandemonium Chlorodyne.
« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2008, 06:11:02 pm »

I don't know -- August Enrique has a nice ring to it, methinks. 

He can always go by "Rick" if he really hates being unique.  But August isn't such an unusual name any more, either -- Pedro's good friend from high school named his son August.  I don't know if there is such a thing as a truly unique name any more. 

Except for Moxie CrimeFighter Jilette.  Any time someone give me a hard time about "Hero," I just tell them about Moxie. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: January 2008 blogs - Haxall's Pandemonium Chlorodyne.
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2008, 06:20:11 pm »

I love the names Milan and Lenny, but I obviously couldn't name any future children that. Moxie CrimeFighter? Jesus. I couldn't saddle a child with a name like that, but go figure I guess.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Up