Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Surprising fact: toothpaste is a complete protein.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Show me your desk!  (Read 21182 times)

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Show me your desk!
« Reply #90 on: September 18, 2010, 03:28:12 pm »

Fanta's creative output is exponentially higher than Chris Onstad's. Coming soon: Fanta's subscription service and paypal begging links to join Elliot's Friends of The Library.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Show me your desk!
« Reply #91 on: September 18, 2010, 04:55:03 pm »

Trollbar!

Pay four bucks a month to read special bonus blogs by his fifteen dormant sockpuppets analyzing his current trolls!

Make sure to also put money in the Trolljar as well, to keep the free-to-web trolling lit and firing!
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Show me your desk!
« Reply #92 on: September 18, 2010, 05:09:21 pm »

I love each and every one of you so much, like very special babies.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Re: Show me your desk!
« Reply #93 on: September 18, 2010, 07:13:27 pm »

yes, buying a macintosh is a clear prescription for a cure to apathy.

'hi, i'm a pc'
"and hi, i'm a mac! i used to not give a shit about random youtube links but now that i've upgraded to system 8.6 i obsessively press f5 on slashdot all fuck*ng day!"

on topic:
the youtube video linked most recently plays out like a fanfic of a silence of the lambs spin off.

dude, buy some fuck*ng lamps, and turn them on.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

fanta

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -32
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 128
    • View Profile
Re: Show me your desk!
« Reply #94 on: September 18, 2010, 08:42:18 pm »

heh.  yeah.  I'm actually moving soon, so I'm not bothering with lamps.  this place needs a lot more than lamps.
silence of the lamps.  heh.  yeah, I'm related to one of those cerial killers that movie's cerial character was based off of.  just carrying on the family traditions.
Logged

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Show me your desk!
« Reply #95 on: September 19, 2010, 01:10:24 am »

Allow me to be the first TOUAMBer to admit that the baby sex doll skeeves me out, even though it's probably meant to be a joke.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Show me your desk!
« Reply #96 on: September 19, 2010, 01:19:09 am »

what is the story of you and not washing some fuck*ng dishes.

the dude is a mess online.  why not IRL?
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

fanta

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -32
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 128
    • View Profile
Re: Show me your desk!
« Reply #97 on: September 19, 2010, 04:12:09 am »

Allow me to be the first TOUAMBer to admit that the baby sex doll skeeves me out, even though it's probably meant to be a joke.

: - )   tee hee.  awesome.  That's what I was going for.  I love how you say "probably," how there is still some doubt as to if it's a joke or not...  Yeah I was hitting the local thrift stores after work thursday and Friday.  So this one store is some kind of charity run by a church.  They have signs posted that any purchase over $10 gets a free bible.  The guy at the register looks to be in his early 20s, and he has a very prominent and large tattoo on the inside of one of his forearms in Gothic type that reads ... I forget what it said exactly... it was some synonym of "saved" or something to that effect. 

So I find this... CPR babby...  it's only a buck fifty!  with tax, under two dolla!!!!    here is a scan of the box...

Sorry I didn't do these images inline but they are kind of large and TOUAMB crashed on the preview so I figured best to just link to them.

so anyway, I mean... hilarious!  So I'm like, gotta buy this!  I have a friends who just had a babby, so I figured I will send it to them.  But more importantly, immediately, I realized what this would be good for - setting the ambiance for my TOUAMB desk video I have been intentioning to make.

So here I am buying this CPR babby intending it for use as a blow up doll babby, at a church thrift store, along with a "teach yourself Unix" book, and I'm like, all trying to play it off as a CPR babby purchase, because I has anxiety often, so I am having anxiety in the back of my mind that somehow the guy knows why I'm buying the babby...

so check out the parents... I mean... what the hell..

  closeup of the people

it's like... dude, they are FOCUSED on the CPR of the plastic babbys.  Even the little 2 or 3 yr old tyke is focused.  Look at how they are dressed!  They are dressed in some kinda professional church-goin' clothes!  That's a little paradoxial ifn' you ask me, seein' as how church goin' people who dress like that are usually the type who believe that ailments should not be cured with medical things such as medications and science and such, and that you should just put your faith in the lord and speak His blessings! 

Study Guide - The Believer's Authority - We're In A Spiritual Battle - Lesson 1

Quote
Our son was sleeping in a little crib. Around eleven o’clock he woke up with this croup in his throat that you could have heard in the next room. It was loud, and he could hardly breathe. So I got up, prayed in tongues, rebuked the croup, and released my faith. He went back to sleep and everything was fine.

Thirty minutes later the same thing happened. I got up, prayed over him, and he went back to sleep. Every thirty minutes, I was up and down like a yo-yo, praying over our son and trying to get him back to sleep. Finally, about three in the morning, on one of my trips back to bed, my mother said, “Admit it, Andy. He’s sick!”

I got right down there, stuck my finger in her face, and said, “Satan, in the name of Jesus, I command you to shut up! I will not receive any of your criticism or any of your curses. My son is blessed and not cursed!” Then I started speaking the Word. Mother never said another word, and our son never got up again that night. He was just fine, but Mother didn’t say anything for two whole days—and we were together all the time in a car on vacation.

Finally, when she did speak, she cried “Well, I’m sorry you think I’m the devil” and started into this self-pity party.

I said, “Mother, you know enough to know better. I’ve told you the Word of God. You knew that stuff you were saying was exactly opposite the Word. You’d just given yourself over to Satan. I’m not mad at you. I was just standing against the devil. He was trying to steal my faith for healing.”

To this day, Mother continues to be one of my very best friends. She’s over ninety-five years old and enjoys the blessing of good health. My approach that night was pretty strong, but I knew Satan was behind it trying to steal my faith.

You can certainly take a stand against what people say with more tact than I displayed back then. I was young in the Lord, and that’s just the way I responded. But the principle applies regardless of how you administer it.

*barf*


so anyway

the dude is a mess online.  why not IRL?

dude it's a combination of procrastination and the fact that the kitchen is all the hell the way in another room of the house.  Yes, things are kind of messy... but I'm gettin' much better and much more organized at it. 

Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Show me your desk!
« Reply #98 on: October 03, 2011, 01:50:26 am »

Wow, I just re-read this thread...fanta. Hm.

My desk situation has changed dramatically since I last posted, and since it came up elsewhere, I thought I'd share the pix here. I did not purchase any of the furnishings for this room; they were all either given to me or they were repurposed from other rooms in the house when we moved. I made the curtains for Pedro's home office when we lived in our first house, back when he often worked from home and I didn't. The desk belonged to my Dad; it was salvaged from the high school he was teaching at when he was first married to my Mom. They were going to chuck it so he brought it home in 1968. It's sad that people throw away perfectly functional furniture like this -- it obviously wasn't worn out 40+ years ago, it's not even worn out now.

Dad wrote his master's thesis at this desk, and Mom typed it here too. It's solid wood, extremely heavy, with locking drawers, a leather top, and a slide-out tray on the right (you can just barely see it behind the chair in this pic). I love it to pieces. This is the desk I sat at when I was eight years old and wanted to be an architect and Dad let me use his drafting board and T-square and templates, and he sat next to me and taught me the basics of drafting.

I got the chair off the side of the road in my neighborhood about a month ago. It's comfy.



I just cleaned it up drastically, otherwise Wombat would be very pleased with it. It was literally covered in pens, pencils, papers, scraps of fabric, rolls of tape, dead batteries, craft foam, and other assorted craft supplies. To the left you can clearly see the stack of boxes that has been sitting there waiting to be unpacked since we moved into this house 2 years ago. There is probably nothing of any usefulness whatsoever in any of them.

The window overlooks my front yard. I bought the little clock radio yesterday so that I could dock my iPhone and listen to music while I work without having to keep iTunes open all the time; my computer isn't very powerful and iTunes causes a lot of lag. (And also because I use my office for things that don't require a computer to be on at all.) The monitor, mouse, and keyboard are plugged in to my netbook, which is behind the monitor. I can push it all the way to the back of the desk and have plenty of space free for things like scrapbooking or sewing. I've actually been doing a little sewing lately because, as you'll see in the next pic, it takes about three minutes to get my sewing machine out and put it away.



Behind that door is a spring-loaded typewriter tray, which actually held a typewriter when I was growing up. It's just right for my sewing machine (handed down from Mom) and since I have a power strip on my desk (behind the monitor) I can plug it in easily without having to dig around behind the desk. To the left of the box tower, there's a smallish closet with seven shelves that contains all my sewing supplies and a lot of general craft supplies, and also a huge stash of empty tissue boxes, toilet roll tubes, egg cartons, milk jugs, two-liter bottles. We do a lot (a LOT) of art projects with recycled materials, because I hate throwing things away and also because my kids love to do arts and crafts (or as my daughter calls it, "arps and craps"), but it can get expensive.

To the right of the desk is a tall, skinny bureau with a plastic three-drawer unit on top and a couple of plastic 12x12 storage boxes on top of that. That's my papercrafting tower, Mom gave it to me when she moved because she ended up buying a bigger cabinet to keep her scrapbook supplies in. Mine is pretty much full to the gills. The larger tools, like my diecut machine, live in the closet with everything else. My yarn lives in these repurposed wall-mounted DVD storage cubes:



And yes, the walls really are that yellow. I'm putting off painting 'til the rest of the house is the way I want it, but it's on my list, believe me.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Show me your desk!
« Reply #99 on: October 03, 2011, 03:23:13 am »

Wow, I just re-read this thread...fanta. Hm.


Help me escape the boredom and lassitude of my day.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Show me your desk!
« Reply #100 on: October 03, 2011, 07:26:06 am »

hm. I need to start using my desk again. Normally it is covered in piles of change, dirty glasses, papers, etc. Behind it is the Wall of Failure (census map of STL color-coded for population loss in each district over the last decade, a postcard my friend gave me of a street near my place after a big tornado in the 19th century, a Jehovah's Witness handout that says "WILL THIS WORLD END"). Also on that wall is arguably the thing LFM would hate the most that I own:


Currently on my desk is a big stack of pages I cut out of the local glossy food magazine. They did a special on local donuts, and are the kind of magazine with more pictures than writing, so it's just 10 pages of huge pictures of donuts. We're going to put them up on our walls.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Show me your desk!
« Reply #101 on: October 03, 2011, 02:55:56 pm »

Also on that wall is arguably the thing LFM would hate the most that I own:

You may be underestimating his capacity.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Show me your desk!
« Reply #102 on: October 03, 2011, 04:07:21 pm »

JL: I love the yarn holding thing.  I'm totally going to steal that idea for my wife as a present the next time she goes out of town.  Also, the entire interior of our house is painted in a similar colour as you have there (bright yellow).  It took some getting used to.  I barely notice it now, but when a friend comes over who hasn't previously been inside they invariably stand still for a bit, blinking and saying something like, "Wow...sunny."  Since we rent, its not something I'm going to bother fixing, especially with the high ceilings in various parts of the house.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Show me your desk!
« Reply #103 on: October 03, 2011, 04:31:19 pm »

Nah, that's Mork from Ork.  I'll bes sMets likes that guy.  I know I do.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Show me your desk!
« Reply #104 on: October 03, 2011, 05:15:11 pm »

I like the yellow paint, and LOVE the yarn holder.

Mostly I worry about LFM's wrath raining down because to be honest, I don't love Robin William, or Mork. I just love that picture.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up