Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "One of Your Shoes is By the Dog Food: A Tale of Things Not Worth Mentioning During Married Life," is out in September on Harper-Doubleday.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: Show me your desk!  (Read 21208 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Show me your desk!
« Reply #105 on: October 03, 2011, 05:37:35 pm »

The yarn holder totally looks like something from a fancy house-decorating magazine article.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Show me your desk!
« Reply #106 on: October 03, 2011, 08:23:44 pm »

The yarn holder totally looks like something from a fancy house-decorating magazine article.

Yeah.  Come on - admit it JL - you store your ugly yarn somewhere else, don't you?  Or are you just that cool?

Nice desk BTW.  I like the hide-away sewing machine.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Show me your desk!
« Reply #107 on: October 04, 2011, 01:19:36 am »

I have this awful habit of buying yarn because it's beautiful, but only buying one or two skeins because I don't have a specific project in mind for it, so I end up just keeping it to look at occasionally and wish I had more of it. I also have a bunch of bits and pieces left over from larger projects that are too small to do anything with and too pretty to throw away. But as a rule, I don't buy ugly yarn. But the cheap acrylic stuff, yeah, it's in there. Right on top on the left is a big skein of yellow Red Heart (super cheap spun-plastic yarn that has been exactly the same since the 1960s) that I inherited from my grandmother, but having all those colors thrown together in an organized jumble (I tried to group them by both form and function) really disguises the fact that some of the yarn in that pile is basically only useful as scrap. Those specimens are heartily outnumbered, though, by the really lovely stuff I prefer to work with -- I even have a couple of skeins of tweed camel down that I've been itching (no pun intended) to use for something.

The rack was seriously about to get thrown away when we moved. We bought them off the clearance rack when we lived in our first house and needed something to house our growing collection of XBox games, and though it's hard to tell from the photo they're actually three separate x-shaped racks. I lapped them together so I could store yarn in the "negative space" between them and on top. It's one of the better brainwaves I've had in terms of repurposing old furnishings. After we moved into the apartment, I took two of the rectangles (the Xes come apart in the middle to form two long interlocking boxes) and mounted them vertically to the wall on either side of the bed to use as nightstands. We could store books in the bottom part, and the top was just big enough for a cup of water and my eyeglasses. There was no space for a traditional nightstand in our cramped bedroom, so these were ideal. The other 4 pieces were nested and stored for 2 years before we moved in here. Probably a good use of $45, given how much use they've had over the last decade.

All this is to say, thank you, I am crap at taking compliments, but I do appreciate them.

Also, Smells, I cannot overstate my satisfaction with the hideaway sewing machine. I am seriously in love with this concept, and it is inspiring me to actually learn to use this fancy machine that my Mom gave me 4 years ago. It does embroidery and everything, it really is too good for me. But I'm trying -- I just picked up some instructions and bought some fabric to make holiday placemats for my kids, I think they'll like that and it's mostly straight lines. It amazes me how much sewing is like construction -- lots of angles and measurements and math. The good kind of math, though -- the kind where you solve it, and there's only one answer, and that answer tells you exactly what to do next.

Edited to add: Holy crap, if this is what I'm like after too much caffeine these days, I'd better never decide to try cocaine.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 01:39:37 am by jay-ell »
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Show me your desk!
« Reply #108 on: October 04, 2011, 01:36:42 am »

Two to one says he won't be able to separate Mork from Robin in his brain and rains down the displeasure.

The suspense is killing me!
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Show me your desk!
« Reply #109 on: October 04, 2011, 03:01:55 am »

Actually, while Williams has done a lot of lame shit, being one of the leads in THE giraffeER KING forgives basically anything.

It forgives PATCH ADAMS for Christ's sake.

If I had to pick one movie to say "this is the movie most like what it is inside my head" it would be giraffeer King.

A wounded little intellectual fella gone mad with grief all duking it out with a hella-crass guy who means well but has no idea when he's going too far.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Show me your desk!
« Reply #110 on: October 13, 2011, 06:24:35 am »

It's funny because I hate Robin Williams. You reference Patch Adams, which I haven't seen, but basically nothing he will ever do will make up for What Dreams May Come. That movie was dogshit.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Show me your desk!
« Reply #111 on: October 13, 2011, 03:02:00 pm »

Interesting to hear about your scrap yarn situation JL.  There are these two awesome older ladies who are total knitting addicts and they come to my work once a year to drop off a garbage bag full of children's mittens knitted out of their scrap yarn for us to donate to the kids in foster care.  Its a great use for the scraps and the kids love the crazy, miss matched colours.  Plus in Canada, having a whole bunch of spare mittens on hand is really helpful.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Show me your desk!
« Reply #112 on: October 13, 2011, 03:52:57 pm »

Interesting to hear about your scrap yarn situation JL.  There are these two awesome older ladies who are total knitting addicts and they come to my work once a year to drop off a garbage bag full of children's mittens knitted out of their scrap yarn for us to donate to the kids in foster care.  Its a great use for the scraps and the kids love the crazy, miss matched colours.  Plus in Canada, having a whole bunch of spare mittens on hand is really helpful.

Yes, I've considered doing stuff like this for charity. But my knitting time is so limited I barely have time to knit the things I want to knit for my own kids, let alone to donate. I was just thinking the other day that I need to make new toques for each of my kids, since theirs from last year are too small. That's certainly a stash-busting and quick project, but between those, the long-overdue crochet cardigan for Mom, the Christmas dress I'm knitting on for Kitten and the Angry Birds plush I'm sewing for BooBear, that'll be all my crafting time between now and Christmas.

What I need is a full-time job I can quit to make time for all my hobbies.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Show me your desk!
« Reply #113 on: October 13, 2011, 09:24:48 pm »

I think the key to why the older ladies can make such a donation once a year is that they are older ladies.  Their children are grown, and they socialize by sittin' and knittin'. 

If it makes you feel any better, JL, I have a bunch of supposed hobbies that really just piles of cool supplies that I could make something really great with if only I had some time.  And I have no kids to fill up my time.  Just a regularly injured hubby, which is it's on thing.  Retirement is a lifetime away, but it sure looks sexy to me. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up