Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Do you love saying "Canadian bacon"?

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Today's Cat and Girl is about Achewood  (Read 7050 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

MrMandible

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4
    • View Profile
Today's Cat and Girl is about Achewood
« on: January 18, 2008, 02:19:06 pm »

http://www.catandgirl.com

It'll be number 562 in the archives if it's off the mainpage when you read this.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Today's Cat and Girl is about Achewood
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 04:04:02 pm »

http://www.catandgirl.com

It'll be number 562 in the archives if it's off the mainpage when you read this.

Hell yes! Looks like Dorothy backs some of us up on the position of Molly's character. Thank you for the link.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today's Cat and Girl is about Achewood
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 07:45:46 pm »

Applause!
(Although I'm on the fence about Molly, which is kinda like being on the fence about W., I guess)
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today's Cat and Girl is about Achewood
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 10:05:06 pm »

I'm pro-Molly because... I mean... of course she's gonna be weird and bitchy occasionally, SHE HAS TO PUT UP WITH BEEF AS HER LOVER. There is no way that someone perfectly likable would put up with his crap for that long.

Love is 80% trade-offs and... love with insane people is nearly 100% trade-offs.

This is how it works for real people, why not too for talking cats?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Today's Cat and Girl is about Achewood
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 10:10:58 pm »

I'm pro-Molly because... I mean... of course she's gonna be weird and bitchy occasionally, SHE HAS TO PUT UP WITH BEEF AS HER LOVER. There is no way that someone perfectly likable would put up with his crap for that long.

Love is 80% trade-offs and... love with insane people is nearly 100% trade-offs.

This is how it works for real people, why not too for talking cats?

I am also Pro-Molly, as must be Dorothy Gambrell. I liked this strip. It's weird how so many male comic artists create all-male worlds or nearly so. Jeph Jacques and John Allison would be notable exceptions.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today's Cat and Girl is about Achewood
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 10:22:03 pm »

Quote from: linnea
It's weird how so many male comic artists create all-male worlds or nearly so.

Remember, most creative-type guys are either gay or have been rejected by women so many times in their lives that they've kind of subconsciously rejected the female sphere from their lives except for that one woman who happened to settle for them, who is represented in the token female lead.

One could argue that we can't blame the artists but, rather, the girls who "loved them like brothers" in high school. Yes, that will do nicely.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today's Cat and Girl is about Achewood
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 10:25:46 pm »

on the other hand, some men include women and basically write them as Men with Boobies.

Or, you know, have them, and their whole character is "i want to get it on with this guy, but cannot. I make sarcastic mean jokes"
or
"I am so sexual, check out how into sex I am. also, coffee."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Today's Cat and Girl is about Achewood
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 10:34:00 pm »

on the other hand, some men include women and basically write them as Men with Boobies.

Or, you know, have them, and their whole character is "i want to get it on with this guy, but cannot. I make sarcastic mean jokes"
or
"I am so sexual, check out how into sex I am. also, coffee."


You demoted me by a Tiny Can of Dr. Pepper because I mentioned Jeph Jacques?
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today's Cat and Girl is about Achewood
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 10:51:23 pm »

I am OK with Molly as a character, but I do think the Cat and Girl lady has a point.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today's Cat and Girl is about Achewood
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 11:57:43 pm »

no, I did not take a can away from anyone.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Today's Cat and Girl is about Achewood
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2008, 02:19:30 am »

I like Molly a lot as a character, but it is hard to argue she's an independent character -- indeed, has Achewood ever had a female character who wasn't defined in terms of their relationship with a member of the male cast? The only female Achewood characters I can even think of at all are Molly/Tina/Ultra Peanut (all defined by romantic relationships, although in Philippe's case it's more ambiguous) and people's female relatives (Ray's mom, Gramma K, Philippe's mom...).
Logged

oball

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 128
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 507
  • In excess of seven ding dongs
    • View Profile
Re: Today's Cat and Girl is about Achewood
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2008, 04:45:32 am »

It's weird how so many male comic artists create all-male worlds or nearly so. Jeph Jacques and John Allison would be notable exceptions.

Just quickly browsing through my list of webcomics, I'd add Something Positive, Diesel Sweeties, Dresden Codak and Gunnerkrigg Court to those two.
Logged
Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise

colmore

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 56
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 379
  • Sorry Mom, Sorry Dad, Sorry College
    • View Profile
Re: Today's Cat and Girl is about Achewood
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2008, 05:42:08 am »

Achewood's a sausage fest, no doubt.  But to be fair, I think it's plenty fine for a comic to choose a homosocial group of friends as a subject matter.  People write what they know.  I bet Chris is one of those dudes who stopped having many female friends the day he graduated college.

Mmmmm.... cat sausage.
Logged
In Capitalist America, bank robs you!

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today's Cat and Girl is about Achewood
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2008, 07:00:58 am »

I am also Pro-Molly, as must be Dorothy Gambrell. I liked this strip. It's weird how so many male comic artists create all-male worlds or nearly so. Jeph Jacques and John Allison would be notable exceptions.

Is that really weird though? I think most people tell stories from their own experience and as good as some webcomics are, they are generally more 'here is a stupid little story I wanted to put on the nets' rather than 'here is the defining story of our time'.

This comic was pretty funny though. I think it's less about Molly and how Achewood is written and more about the fans, the digression from praising the strip to pointing out flaws to the defense of an argument so immediate that it's obviously been gone over many times rings pretty true for me.
Though if there's a strip that can outcompete achewood for akward pauses it's definitely cat and girl.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Today's Cat and Girl is about Achewood
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2008, 07:38:00 pm »

Cat and Girl is an excellent comic. In fact, it's one of the only three I still read regularly (the other two being Achewood and Penny Arcade).

I love this particular strip, though my favorite Cat and Girl strip still remains Girls Gone Wilde.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up