Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Ray Smuckles pours one out for Tiger's '09 Escalade. "Shit didn't have to be that way, Tiger. You coulda' taken the damn Buick."

Poll

Did you go to a Gifted & Talented class when you were in school?

Yes, at a regular school.
No, I didn't qualify.
No, my school didn't have one.
I went to a school for gifted kids.
Other (explain below).

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: GT Program Survivor Support Group  (Read 13329 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: GT Program Survivor Support Group
« Reply #75 on: January 23, 2008, 07:27:36 pm »

I did the GT thing and also went to a summer camp where we took 3 hour classes every morning. I really pitied the suckers going out in row boats or sitting it crappy tents while I was in a nice air conditioned university classroom learning to write my name in Mayan or reading e.e. cummings or whatever.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: GT Program Survivor Support Group
« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2008, 10:02:21 pm »

I was a spontaneous reader at 3. Bored all through elementary school (also, to carry the trend forward, lousy at math and especially times tables, and crappy handwriting to this day.

I did take AP classes in HS and successfully tested out of a year of core classes in college. I managed also to get a degree with two major concentrations having taken not one math class in college. Yay me.

Now I'm 40 years old and in the worst shape of my life financially. Like AW, I'm taking it philosophically and one day at a time.

I wish my family was around, though. Even Hawaii blows when you're pretty much alone all the time that you are not at work (and even more so when you pretty much hate your job...)
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: GT Program Survivor Support Group
« Reply #77 on: January 23, 2008, 10:10:55 pm »

Inev:  That is a Thing for Jon Stewart he always says it when there is a long name.


The most recent example I saw was when he was talking about the American Motion Picture... (whatever the writers are striking against) or NAMBLA.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: GT Program Survivor Support Group
« Reply #78 on: January 23, 2008, 10:12:32 pm »

I'm pullin' for ya, Dawg, if that means anything.

Lord knows I'm kinda in a similar situation, just tryin' to start a Just-A-Job-Job, nearly broke. Be strong, man, and in the very least you will be hanging in there in case the luck-winds shift.

I don't know if just nose-to-the-grindstoning it actually works or not, hasn't worked for me lately, but I know that everyday we're breathin' is another day that some luck can fall in your lap.

Maybe the point of life has something to do with getting to the point where just bein' strong is where the joy and the meaning flows from, not whatever we're working for but... I don't know, I sure as hell have not gotten there yet.

I hold up my fist in solidarity with you, Dawg. I hope that, in some cosmic way, it helps.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: GT Program Survivor Support Group
« Reply #79 on: January 23, 2008, 10:16:03 pm »

I got street smarts.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: GT Program Survivor Support Group
« Reply #80 on: January 23, 2008, 10:28:14 pm »

Sure.  I'll write to my congressman about my support for the RETARD (Righteously Exterminate Tons of Acronyms Retroactively Devised) Act.

Edit: It occurs to me that this could be interpreted as me calling you a retard.  I would like to make it clear that this is not the case; that contrived acronym was just the first one that came to mind.

No, this was interpreted as you being the sort of person who ought to come around here more often.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: GT Program Survivor Support Group
« Reply #81 on: January 23, 2008, 10:42:04 pm »

No, this was interpreted as you being the sort of person who ought to come around here more often.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Dexter

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 119
  • Some mothers should not be turned out.
    • View Profile
Re: GT Program Survivor Support Group
« Reply #82 on: January 24, 2008, 02:49:14 am »

No, this was interpreted as you being the sort of person who ought to come around here more often.
See what I mean about the paralyzing self-consciousness?

Either way, even if you didn't think that, someone else might have.  Which would be almost as bad.
Logged
Y'all don't know what it's like, bein' male, middle-class and white.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: GT Program Survivor Support Group
« Reply #83 on: January 24, 2008, 05:18:42 am »

Forgiveness/permission
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: GT Program Survivor Support Group
« Reply #84 on: January 24, 2008, 10:54:43 pm »

Sure.  I'll write to my congressman about my support for the RETARD (Righteously Exterminate Tons of Acronyms Retroactively Devised) Act.

Edit: It occurs to me that this could be interpreted as me calling you a retard.  I would like to make it clear that this is not the case; that contrived acronym was just the first one that came to mind.

Uh... http://www.citizensunitednottimid.org/
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up