Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Trains are saying "hello".  All this time, we just snub them.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Juno: Quirky suckage  (Read 7670 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Death Ray

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 151
    • View Profile
    • Deep Fried, webcomics' dirty little secret
Juno: Quirky suckage
« on: January 28, 2008, 08:04:03 pm »

Despite losing my gloves at the theater where I saw Juno, I enjoyed the movie, though I hardly consider it Oscar worthy. The dialogue is too self-conciously cute, the music too forcibly indy (also, Juno comes late to the dance in using the Velvet Underground's "I'm Sticking with You" in the soundtrack, which was used earlier this season in The Savages).

Also,..."home skillet?" Sorry, not buying it.

Who here wants a piece of me?
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Juno: Quirky suckage
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 08:08:28 pm »

...people I know have definitely called me Home Skillet in the past at least once, although maybe I am imagining it.

I don't know. Self-consciously cute is like... that is my Thing. As to the music... well, if I made a movie like that, maybe my soundtrack would be like that, because sometimes that is the music I like.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Juno: Quirky suckage
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 08:10:31 pm »

I've heard it's like watching a Mamet play or Gilmore Girls. It takes a while to get past the completely fake sounding dialog but you get used to it.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Juno: Quirky suckage
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 08:11:37 pm »

Im not running out to buy that soundtrack, but it fit the movie pretty well.
The characters are pretty unbelievable, but I enjoyed the movie nonetheless.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Juno: Quirky suckage
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 08:13:52 pm »

I should note, also, that I am incapable of judging whether characters speak or behave in realistic ways. Unless they do something egregiously ridiculous, I come out thinking the dialogue was really well done.

...also I have a tendency to speak in really self-consciously awkward ways, so I obviously have a lot of problems with judging this movie.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Juno: Quirky suckage
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 02:27:51 am »

I have no opinion on the movie based in fact.

That said, I am for anything with the Big Scary Nazi/Yellow M&M in it.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Juno: Quirky suckage
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 02:29:42 am »

I haven't seen the film. I read a rather indepth interview with the writer. The movie looks like crap, however. I won't be wasting my time seeing it.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Juno: Quirky suckage
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 02:47:02 am »

Where's movie guy? Paging LFM!
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Juno: Quirky suckage
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 04:31:48 am »

LFM was off learning how to pick up blood and urine samples and then get 'em to the right people.

Juno... uh, yeah. Not seein' it. Looks like twee fuckin' cutesy shit to me.

"Oh, she's knocked up at 15 but she's SMART AND SASSY and completely meta-aware and talks like a 25-year-old male literature grad student! It'll be like Ghost World but life-affirming and if Christina Ricci was young and not aneorexic!"

And the music... oh, Lord... it is like someone asked an A&R man's college freshman daughter to rip off the Rushmore soundtrack "except current and cheaper!"

Blah to Juno! Blah to everything that ain't such as Dune or Brazil or Being There... or ain't such as UHF. Blah to the self-consciously over-constructedly "middle-brow"! Blah to "accessably quirky"! Blah to "the paint-by-number middlebrow!"

Highbrow or lowbrow. Adam Sandler, over there. David Lynch, Terry Gilliam, Stanley Kubrick over here. Pick one and do it right. Blah to Juno and all the slickly-indiesque pictures like it. Don't mess with Mr. In-Between. Fuck Mr. In-Between, completely.

Those whose faith is lukewarm are the ones who The Great Spirit hates the most.

I am feeling political about this today, definitely. Do highbrow or lowbrow right and I am happy.

Try to be all things to all people and you are basically an asshole.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Juno: Quirky suckage
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 04:51:52 am »

I went to see Rushmore at the midnight movie last Saturday night and I lost the memory card out of my camera when I took my coat off.  The next afternoon I was back at the theater looking for it.  It was gone.  but when I arrived Juno was just finishing.  I saw the last minute or so of it and I sat through the credits.  I really enjoyed that last minute.  The dog with the bad legs really won my heart.  And I liked the Velvet Underground in the credits. Wasn't that song used in some kind of advertisement back many years ago?  I don't remember what they were selling.  I didn't know it was a Velvet Underground song.  I was sitting in the theater remembering that this song was used in an advertisement, but thinking, that voice, that voice, I know that voice.  Just as it came to me the music credits rolled.

I'm not even sure if I want to see the rest of the movie, it can't possibly top the last minute and credits.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Juno: Quirky suckage
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 04:55:14 am »

Highbrow or lowbrow. Adam Sandler, over there. David Lynch, Terry Gilliam, Stanley Kubrick over here. Pick one and do it right. Blah to Juno and all the slickly-indiesque pictures like it. Don't mess with Mr. In-Between. Fuck Mr. In-Between, completely.

Those whose faith is lukewarm are the ones who The Great Spirit hates the most.

I am feeling political about this today, definitely. Do highbrow or lowbrow right and I am happy.

Try to be all things to all people and you are basically an asshole.


Damn, sometimes you can just say it right.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Juno: Quirky suckage
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 05:19:31 am »

Don't mess with Mr. In-Between. Fuck Mr. In-Between, completely.


So, speaking of Mr In_Between, I found a mix disc one of you all sent me and it has a bunch of very odd stuff on it. Mark Knopfler's "What it is" is awesome.  How it got on the same disk with Burl Ives "Call Me Mr. In Between" is what I want to know. Anyone remember sending that to me?
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Juno: Quirky suckage
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 05:32:46 am »

Damn dude, really? I am a big fan of thinking people ain't got to go extremes on this shit. David Lynch is rad, and Adam Sandler is... popular, and stuff in between is rad too. Maybe some people are a little weird, but don't want to completely freak people out like David Lynch? I personally think there is only so much David Lynch the world can take.

Why do we have to choose between Dane Cook and Andy Kaufman?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 05:51:50 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Juno: Quirky suckage
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 05:47:04 am »

Damn dude, really? I am a big fan of thinking people ain't got to go extremes on this shit. David Lynch is rad, and Adam Sandler is... popular, and stuff in between is rad too. Maybe some people are a little weird, but don't want to completely freak people out like David Lynch? I personally think there is only so much David Lynch the world can take.

Inland Empire put me off him, which is awful sad.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Juno: Quirky suckage
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2008, 02:02:52 pm »

Why do we have to choose between Dane Cook and Andy Kaufman?

No reason at all. The Christ Chex bit is funny. The Mighty penis bit is funny.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up