Besides, I think everyone explicitly said 'our dependence on oil' so no one is picking on oil specifically, we know we're the ones who have the problem.
Man, I feel like you're blaming the victim here.
Sure, it was fun back in the day... we had our whole lives to live, experimenting with different kinds of power... but now we're hooked, and the
dope fossil fuel peddlers keep on pushing.
...but seriously, I feel like we need to up regulation of environmental abuse. The analogy I like to make to people who say "it's my choice what kind of car I drive, fuck you" is that, well, it's your choice to own a dog, and it's my right to tell you to keep its shit out of my yard. Once you start up your hummer, you're pumping your car's shit out into the air we all breathe, and it's not quite as easy to use a pooper-scooper to remove carbon monoxide from the atmosphere. Maybe I'm stretching, but I don't think it's too far. This really isn't an issue of infringing on individual rights-- as they say, "you have the right to swing your fist as much as you please, until it hits someone else's nose."