Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood It's National Johnny Cash Raise Hell Awareness Saturday Night. Go out and Fuck Shit Up in a Way That You Believe In!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: ...  (Read 5850 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Feb. 18, 2008 - Understanding Maniacs, by H. Norton Shales
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2008, 09:38:35 pm »

Is it bad that I enjoyed Cathy when I was in grade school? It was right up there with Bloom County for me. Granted I was 11 and I didn't grasp most of what either strip contained... This is something about myself that has gone relatively unexamined.

Don't worry Hammish. The world will always need people who buy magazines about car stereos.
Logged

colmore

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 56
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 379
  • Sorry Mom, Sorry Dad, Sorry College
    • View Profile
Re: Feb. 18, 2008 - Understanding Maniacs, by H. Norton Shales
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2008, 12:16:27 am »

Garfield was one of my favorite cartoons as a first or second grader.  I justify this by 1) it was the 80s.  2) it was more varied and there were more characters and settings back then and 3) it is a very well drawn strip -- perhaps well xeroxed at points, but it's got appealing disney-esque classic cartooning chops.

Maybe Garfield is a metacartoon.  Extolling the virtues of being fat, lazy, and phoning it in, while being fat, lazy, and phoning it in.  I wouldn't be surprised if they started running "classic" Garfields on Mondays soon.  Would anyone care?
Logged
In Capitalist America, bank robs you!

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Feb. 18, 2008 - Understanding Maniacs, by H. Norton Shales
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2008, 12:20:31 am »

I also liked Garfield when I was very small, but I justified it by the fact that I was very small.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Feb. 18, 2008 - Understanding Maniacs, by H. Norton Shales
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2008, 12:54:41 am »

Quote
I also liked Garfield when I was very small, but I justified it by the fact that I was very small.

Even then, though, you knew it was wrong.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Feb. 18, 2008 - Understanding Maniacs, by H. Norton Shales
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2008, 01:20:39 am »

I wouldn't be surprised if they started running "classic" Garfields on Mondays soon.  Would anyone care?

Would anyone know?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Feb. 18, 2008 - Understanding Maniacs, by H. Norton Shales
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2008, 01:52:16 am »

Even then, though, you knew it was wrong.
By the time I was eight or nine, yeah, but before then I swear I was innocent!

Guilty confession: somewhere in this house is a lunchbox full of plastic Garfield figurines. (One of them is held together with a bandaid, emergency surgery following a tragic lawnmower accident.)
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Feb. 18, 2008 - Understanding Maniacs, by H. Norton Shales
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2008, 02:34:07 am »

Now that you mention it, I am pretty sure I once owned a stuffed Garfield when I was a lot older than eight or nine.

Now instead I have a stuffed Joanna, Jeff Rowland's alcoholic zombie cat. I guess that means I'm all grown up?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Feb. 18, 2008 - Understanding Maniacs, by H. Norton Shales
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2008, 02:59:40 am »

The thing with Garfield is this:

The source material is bad... but some of the specials were quite rad and the Saturday Morning Cartoon was solid by the standards of Saturday morning fare.

So I have good memories of the Garf even though every time I read it in the paper, it's awful.

It is a strange mental contradiction but there we are.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Feb. 18, 2008 - Understanding Maniacs, by H. Norton Shales
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2008, 04:41:51 am »

My housemate has a disturbingly large collection of Garfield plush toys and collections. They're not displayed prominently in his room or anything, I just know there's a fairly large box in his cupboard and it's full to the brim. His taste is reasonable in most other matters, so I have to chalk this one up to blind nostalgia.

Re-runs of Garfield on mondays is such a fuck*ng perfect idea though.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 06:05:40 am by Doc »
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Dangermoose

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 51
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 191
    • View Profile
Re: Feb. 18, 2008 - Understanding Maniacs, by H. Norton Shales
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2008, 06:51:59 pm »

Garfield was one of my favorite cartoons as a first or second grader.  I justify this by 1) it was the 80s.  2) it was more varied and there were more characters and settings back then and 3) it is a very well drawn strip -- perhaps well xeroxed at points, but it's got appealing disney-esque classic cartooning chops.

Kids who like Garfield grow up to like Achewood.

Adults who like Garfield belong under a bus.

This is how my Daddy explained things to me, many years ago.

Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Feb. 18, 2008 - Understanding Maniacs, by H. Norton Shales
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2008, 09:38:27 pm »

OK people, start making your own fakewoods.

Man, I miss the days when we all had time to do that kind of thing. 

Hey!  College kids!  Get out your photoshops and paintshops pro and amuse the rest of us old folks! 

You can study later. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Feb. 18, 2008 - Understanding Maniacs, by H. Norton Shales
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2008, 10:47:13 pm »

Man, I miss the days when we all had time to do that kind of thing. 

Hey!  College kids!  Get out your photoshops and paintshops pro and amuse the rest of us old folks! 

You can study later. 

My 19-credit courseload precludes me from such frivolity, thank you. Hitting 'refresh' on TOUAMB multiple times throughout the day is an acceptable waste of time, however. My brain does need some frivolity, after all.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Feb. 18, 2008 - Understanding Maniacs, by H. Norton Shales
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2008, 01:45:08 am »

At OSU, I briefly had a roommate who was taking about a 25-hour schedule as a pre-vet. She moved out after about two weeks, and the weeks I knew her, I mostly saw her drinking. Bad Timez.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Feb. 18, 2008 - Understanding Maniacs, by H. Norton Shales
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2008, 03:36:46 am »

See, my favourite thing about college was the semesters where I was able to take as few credit hours as you possibly could while still counting as full-time.

It... explains my life, basically.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Feb. 18, 2008 - Understanding Maniacs, by H. Norton Shales
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2008, 04:11:05 am »

I can be crazy sometimes, but not 25 credits crazy. I have had issues with grades in the past, issues that I am dealing with, but let's just say that my cumulative is not quite exemplary at this point.

Also, did the credit waiver form say:
Quote
Through me you pass into the city of woe:
Through me you pass into eternal pain:
Through me among the people lost for aye...

All hope abandon ye who enter here.

...because it should have.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up