Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I haven't had a haircut since July. I'm hoping to, "wait it out."

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Castro Resigns!  (Read 4004 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Castro Resigns!
« on: February 19, 2008, 06:49:03 pm »

So, after more than 50 years, Castro has stepped down as President of Cuba, citing his failing health. 

The country is in the custodial care of his brother for the moment; no word yet on who will take Raul's place as Vice President. 

English version of the resignation message here. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Castro Resigns!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 06:51:33 pm »

Yay, new thread in History!

This is news, although not unexpected. I wonder if this will lead to normalized relations, because if so, watch out Cuba, here come the Uhmurricans.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Castro Resigns!
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 06:56:00 pm »

I thought the man would die before he resigned. 

I knew it was a matter of time, but...wow. 

Gotta respect the man, though.  I don't agree with his methods, of course, but there is a guy who is not afraid to live by his beliefs. 

It's the end of an era.  It sort of makes me sad that my kids will read about Castro in their history books instead of the newspaper.  It's one of the few things in the world that has been constant since my parents were kids. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Castro Resigns!
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 06:59:44 pm »

That's okay, we'll always have weird little Kim Jong Il.
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Castro Resigns!
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 07:23:18 pm »

I think it'll probably be business as usual until Raul kicks it. Real change towards normalization isn't going to come from a Castro.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Castro Resigns!
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 08:27:29 pm »

Hopefully this will end the debate in my friends' dead pool. There was argument as to whether Castro was a valid choice for the 2008 pool as they thought he likely died in 2007 but it was being kept secret.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Castro Resigns!
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 08:45:43 pm »

There was argument as to whether Castro was a valid choice for the 2008 pool as they thought he likely died in 2007 but it was being kept secret.
It depends on what you mean by "dead":


« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 12:19:50 am by jaydub »
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Castro Resigns!
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 09:15:18 pm »

Gotta respect the man, though.  I don't agree with his methods, of course, but there is a guy who is not afraid to live by his beliefs.  
George Bush isn't afraid to live by his beliefs either, and Im not sure how much I respect either of them.


Even though this is kind of a non-event in real policy terms, I've been planning a Cuba Libre and Mojito party ever since he got that artificial anus put in the other year.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Castro Resigns!
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 10:18:50 pm »

Beliefs are real easy to live by if you control your entire country and have no real accountability to your minions.

Now I wonder if this will change Miami politics, which according to Dave Barry* is decided based on who hates Castro more.

Also: I'm setting ETA to official MLB scout infiltration at 500 days.  This doesn't count the unofficial ones that are doubtless already there...

Also Also: Red Zone Cuba is less relevant now. So sad. :(

*Shut up.  It's a good point.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Castro Resigns!
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 12:08:17 am »

Maybe it's just because I'm young and not an 'merican but Castro's always seemed like history to me.
It will be interesting to see how this plays out though, normalised relations would be a nice thing to see, I mean y'all deal with China dont'cha?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Castro Resigns!
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 12:28:51 am »

We lost a bunch of primo beaches, casino operations, and seaside villas when Castro's bunch took over.  You guys have still got the Gold Coast.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Castro Resigns!
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 12:37:07 am »

I thought the man would die before he resigned. 

Yeah. It's kind of disorienting.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Castro Resigns!
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2008, 12:41:23 am »

We lost a bunch of primo beaches, casino operations, and seaside villas when Castro's bunch took over.  You guys have still got the Gold Coast.

We lost a bunch of primo beaches, casino operations, and seaside villas when Castro's bunch tourists took over.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Castro Resigns!
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2008, 02:48:34 am »

Maybe it's just because I'm young and not an 'merican but Castro's always seemed like history to me.
It will be interesting to see how this plays out though, normalised relations would be a nice thing to see, I mean y'all deal with China dont'cha?

China never stored nuclear weapons 112 miles off the Florida coast. 

Not that I think we have any business dealing with China; just that I can understand the historical reasons for cutting ties with Cuber. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Castro Resigns!
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2008, 04:28:25 am »

Dude I was there, in Havana the night before.  I have hella stories, hella pictures, but I gotta bury the SO's grandpappy first.  Back soon.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up