Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Wife upset because I kept her up all night playing World of Snorecraft.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Let's figure out this mod thing.  (Read 12124 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Let's figure out this mod thing.
« on: August 02, 2003, 09:37:55 pm »

Okay, kids.  We've got issues.  

Here's what we have right now.  Six general forums + the Lileks forum, and only 5 mods.  I'd like one mod besides me on each, and I'd like to give each mod only one board.  I just got a PM from nabubrush volunteering to mod, and it seems everybody wants "Sights," "Sounds," and "Thoughts."  So let's dialogue here so we can get this figured out.  

My expectations for a mod are:

1. Check in on your forum at least once a day.  

2. Let me know if you'll be away from the board for more than a couple of days, so I can pick up the slack.  

3. Encourage activity by keeping people on topic within a thread, starting new threads when needed, and generally making the forum a friendly place that motivates posters to post thoughtful, concise articles.  

So, given these guidelines, does anybody want out?  Does anybody feel the need to change forums?  Would any of the current mods like to exchange your current forum for the Lileks forum?  Let's duke it out here.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Let's figure out this mod thing.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2003, 09:50:25 pm »

I'm down with all your expectations. I'd do the Lileks forum, but I've no experience, so I'd be doing a disservice.

Edit: I'm willing to play rock/paper/scissors or one potato/two potato with pubdoggy for Sounds, and if I won Sights would still be {insert gender-neutral pronoun here}.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Let's figure out this mod thing.
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2003, 09:59:09 pm »

Likewise I have no idea of this Lileks thing. Guess it's time to go find out really! And I'm perfectly happy with tastes. It's fairly low maintenance and food is fairly close to my heart!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Let's figure out this mod thing.
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2003, 10:02:27 pm »

I was horrified when this struck my mind, but if I don't write it down it'll just sit in there and fester, and I don't go in there often enough to shoo it out:
Sell the mod positions through the tip jar.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Let's figure out this mod thing.
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2003, 10:13:12 pm »

Hmmmmmmmmmmm...verrrrrrrry iiiiiiinteresting, nabu.  What does Jough think?  Shall we give first choice to the highest bidder?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Let's figure out this mod thing.
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2003, 10:17:39 pm »

Man, capitalism tries to screw me wherever I go!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Let's figure out this mod thing.
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2003, 10:19:33 pm »

Actually, it probably wouldn't be very fair. Judging from reading so many posts at Dumbrella saying "I can't afford to buy a shirt and eat, too" I suspect that Achewood fans are mostly starving students. I have plenty of disposable income, but I'd have to think long and hard about whether being a mod is worth actual cash. Having said that, it would be kind of cool to see what each forum was worth, and I'm sure that somebody would be happy to be making money off this deal. Wouldn't it be funny if y'all could go back and post on Dumbrella "yeah, we made $500 this month selling mod slots at the new Achewood forum"?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Let's figure out this mod thing.
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2003, 10:24:17 pm »

JLD, if you want to sell mod slots I'll split the take-in with you.

Otherwise I think the supplicants should be forced to do battle in a ring of fire a la old Star Trek battles with aliens and stuff.

You know, for our amusement.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Let's figure out this mod thing.
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2003, 10:46:59 pm »

I think we all know there's only one solution to this problem: Thunderdome.

(I'm happy with touch. You can make your own jokes about that.)
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Let's figure out this mod thing.
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2003, 02:03:53 am »

I am likewise happy where I am.  MMmmmm Tasty Thoughts.  I would also be happy with Lileks, as I intend to post there often, bitching about his latest political diatribe.

What about a moderators only forum to discuss moderating issues? And also the secret moderator handshake.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Let's figure out this mod thing.
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2003, 03:08:43 am »

Okay.  I've given this more thought than it deserves, and here's what I've come up with.  

1.  I'll establish a mods-only forum once we get the mods lined up.  The reason for this is, I don't want to screw with the permissions more than once, because I'm lazier than Onstad on Sunday.  

2.  Selling moderatorships (is that a word??) probably isn't the fairest way to do it, and we're not here to turn a profit.  Given my expectations above, I think the best way to dole out the mod positions is by making y'all compete, but not financially.  So, I'm going to require that you each apply for the job.  Please submit a resume and cover letter via e-mail (jamie underscore dunston at yahoo dot com) by 11 AM on Monday, 4 August, to be considered.  Also include a ranked list of the positions for which you would like to be considered.  More qualified candidates will be given priority, and I will assign forums based on the quality of the applications and your preferences.  Bonus points given for wittiness.  Spelling counts.  

3.  When all the mods are selected and installed, you will all get a special rank.  In fact, if I'm impressed enough with your collective applications, I will give you individual ranks -- so remember, you're not just competing, you're also working as a team.  To compete individually.  But with teamwork.  Or something.  

4.  Wait, there is no 4.

So get those applications in!  When the mods are selected we will have a big swearing-in ceremony and your ranks will be bestowed with a great deal of pomp and circumstance.  Probably Monday afternoon, provided that nobody asks me to do any actual work at the office.  

I hope this sounds fair to all.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Let's figure out this mod thing.
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2003, 03:51:28 am »

So, are we starting from scratch?  Do the current mods have to reapply?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Let's figure out this mod thing.
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2003, 04:34:04 am »

I find it funny that it's like the complete opposite of how I got my moddishness to begin with but I'll give it a shot. Although the deadline might be tight as I'll have no free time tomorrow and I'm already up way later than I should be.
Logged

pubdoggy

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 89
  • R. Smuckles publicity shot c. 2002
    • View Profile
    • Simon Whitehead Photography
Let's figure out this mod thing.
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2003, 01:48:57 pm »

Soooooooooo. Yep. I feel greedy having 2 forums already (quite the trigger happy boy) so reapplication sounds sensible - although I was happy to go mano a mano with nabubrush for 'Sounds' and roll over - but I guess we'll never see that now (unless we... NO. shut it.).

Good, then. I'll be camping here overnight, swotting up on the competition.

A Demain, tout le monde.
Logged
Satori must be something just the same...

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Let's figure out this mod thing.
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2003, 05:27:36 pm »

Yes, if you've got a slot you have to re-apply, since I gave the original positions out on a first-come, first-serve basis.  If I get enough applications, I might be able to put two mods on each forum, although that might be overkill at this point since the board is still relatively new.  

Sorry I wasn't on last night; my cable modem flaked out due to an electrical storm.  

So, get those applications rolling, but don't spend too much time on it.  This is not a life-or-death scenario here.  Stay cool, yo.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up