Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I am composing a tone poem about eagles, lawnmowers, and Ted Nugent. It is composed only of the sounds of those things.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!  (Read 42437 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« on: March 07, 2008, 01:02:10 am »

I have founded the TOUAMB 2008 Pretend Baseball League, kids.

I copied-and-pasted the parameters of the 2007 league, including the auto-draft, with two minor changes... I pushed the trading deadline a week later and I opened us up to a theoretical maximum of sixteen teams, just in case a lot of people want to sign on.

Other than that, exactly the same.

I am, of course, starting out with the name Damned Human Race.

Here is the link to the league:

http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/league/touamb08

The password to get in on it is: raysadvice

And... I think this is all we need to know up front?

Okay. Set phasers to AWESOME, kids. Pretend. Fuckin'. Baseball.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 02:00:54 am »

We need the league ID number rather than the name in order to join it.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 02:27:27 am »

League ID#: 180317
League Name: TOUAMB '08
Password: raysadvice
Custom League URL: http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/league/touamb08

(I am new at imaginary commissioning.)

EDIT: Also, anyone have any really big problems with last season's rules? I could definitely modify anything anyone had a huge beef with, if a lot of people have that huge beef, before the draft happens.

If a large number of people were into the idea of adding a second DL slot to the situation, I would kind of dig that but I did not want to unilaterally effect that change.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 02:31:23 am by littlefallsmets »
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 04:27:20 am »

For a second I thought you were advocating a second DH position, which boggled my mind with its obscenity.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 09:15:32 pm »

All signed up. I miss Keith, though. Where you, Keith? We need you!

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 09:17:25 pm »

I know nothing about American football, yet would like to find out a bit more.

I think I'll throw myself in at the deep end, I'm in!
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 09:21:37 pm »

I am in and I approve of a DL position slot.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 09:21:58 pm »

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 09:31:13 pm »

First thought: Not actually football, baseball.

Second thought: This is going to take a bit of learning.

Think of this as a cultural exercise.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 09:39:37 pm »

Erm. Brief, non-jargonised summary?? Anyone?

If you'd rather see me hilariously cock this entire thing up, then feel free not to tell me anything.

However.

If you do that, I will win the league due to Karma.

My team's name is RumSodomyandtheLash.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 09:49:00 pm by JudyIsADickSlap »
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 11:19:12 pm »

First thought: Not actually football, baseball.

Second thought: This is going to take a bit of learning.

Think of this as a cultural exercise.

Ladies and gentleman, I present the 2008 Fantasy Baseball Champion. Right here.
Logged

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 11:25:47 pm »

Judy, how well do you understand baseball as a sport? Before you know how to assign value to players based on their ability to collect certain stats, it helps to have a little idea of how they go about getting those stats.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2008, 02:41:26 am »

Overthinking is the best kind of thinking!
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2008, 03:25:54 am »

Judy, how well do you understand baseball as a sport? Before you know how to assign value to players based on their ability to collect certain stats, it helps to have a little idea of how they go about getting those stats.

No! What's wrong with the idea of watching the Brit hilariously cock this entire thing up?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2008, 04:37:11 am »

Somehow, the idea of Fantasy Cricket seems insanely amusing to me at the moment.  I'm not really sure that this variety of fandom translates between cultures.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16   Go Up