Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Today's Kim Jong-il Fact™: North Korean state media reports that Kim routinely shoots three or four holes-in-one per round. (Wikipedia)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!  (Read 42491 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2008, 09:43:43 pm »

OK, I haven't been around here a whole bunch lately, but there's no way I was going to miss out on this.

...so that makes nine.  If Golfhaus doesn't register now, somebody had better, or the schedule will be all messed up.  Bye rounds are for playoffs and high school debate tournaments, people.  Nobody wants to be responsible for causing that to happen here.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2008, 11:34:19 pm »

Golf, there are totally all kinds of statistical aids built into Yahoo Pretend Baseball to help you determine which players would help you out with your statistical needs.

If you need a shortstop and stolen bases, say, you need only click a few drop-down menus to find all the available players with that combination of statistic and position, totally.

It is very easy to use, really, from quite early on... it is such as Othello... ten minutes to learn, a lifetime to master.

Also: I cannot hit the autodraft function if we have an odd number of teams, it just doesn't let me, it would make me wait until we found one more player.

I think if we tried to have more than 16 teams, there would be too many of us with really marginal players to fill out our rosters but... my only complaint about last year, with just eight teams, was that we could all basically have five or six All Stars on our teams no matter what we did and that took away from the fun of trades and the waiver wire.

Ten teams would be solid, twelve would probably be the short-end of perfect, sixteen would be the long-end of perfect.

This is seriously gonna be awesome, I'm tellin' ya.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2008, 01:47:52 am »

Aight... I'm in. I can probably scrap together not-last place, I'm sure. Let's do this, Flying Dutch Ovens.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2008, 02:56:44 am »

...I love it when a plan comes together.

Many thanks, Golf, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I'm still hopeful we'll get another two on board between now and Friday but, seriously, I think ten is a significant improvement in gameplay over eight already.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2008, 03:17:57 am »

Anybody interested in doing NCAA brackets?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2008, 03:21:15 am »

I tend to follow college basketball only when my school (University of Washington) is doing well. This being an off year for them, I'd look like an idiot filling out a bracket. So, yes! I'd love to.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2008, 03:56:38 am »

Weird. Winthrop is in the final-whatever, and it's right next door to my friend's house. I drove past it a few times on friday.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2008, 03:15:13 pm »

Basically, all I know is that Syracuse was terrible and is in the NIT tournament, in which the winner of the tournament is crowned the... 66th best team in the country!

I will probably check the paper to see if Siena or Cornell pulls off an upset.

That's about the extent of my interest in the Tourney. Vague regionalistic support.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2008, 03:34:04 pm »

Vague regionalistic support.

You just summarized college sports in general pretty well right there.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2008, 04:31:08 pm »

Any stragglers?

Sign up soon... I reckon I'm gonna hit the auto-draft button Friday night after I get home from work which should be, like... seven-ish Friday night, Pacific time.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2008, 04:34:35 pm »

Shits! I still have to organize my draft rankings so that I get a disproportionate amount of Mariners. Better get on that today.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2008, 08:46:30 pm »

The Angels are still the favorites in the West. The M's definitely boosted their starting rotation by picking up Bedard, but that cost them big time in defense and hitting -- their two glaring flaws.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2008, 11:07:56 pm »

Ah, I dunno.

The Angels just have so much goddamned depth and... over the long haul, depth wins regular season titles. Hot pitching at the right time can win the playoffs but... depth wins the regular season.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2008, 12:28:04 am »

Shit, what do I have to do before tomorrow evening?!!?

Also, I never use Yahoo and I've forgotten all my info and stuff. LFM, do you have access to this? I could remember the password but not my name
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 12:32:07 am by JudyIsADickSlap »
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2008, 12:42:22 am »

Uh, hmmm.

I do not THINK I have access to this but I will check.

It will require logging out of my pornography-viewing Yahoo account and into my my-real-name Yahoo account to research this but you are awesome enough to deserve such extraordinary action.

What's your team name? I might be able to work backwards from that...

EDIT: could your login be "dave_cuthbertson"?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16   Go Up