Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Metallica would be a lot less powerful if they ended every show by reciting the ABCs.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!  (Read 42496 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #105 on: March 28, 2008, 10:36:41 pm »

I think we're getting rolled here - dumping Thome for Swisher is a savvy move for a guy who claims ignorance.

He had higher numbers, and was free? Is that how this works?
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #106 on: March 29, 2008, 12:04:30 am »

Dude, seriously. One of the writers on my favorite Mariners blog is English. They may act all "Chip chip! Sign me book!" but in reality they're all "Pitch 'em inside! High and tight! Give 'em the nasty heater!" Note: this can be applied to baseball-savvy Englishmen as well as those who enjoy dirty sodomy.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #107 on: March 30, 2008, 06:20:18 am »

He had higher numbers, and was free? Is that how this works? Aw shucks guys, all I have is 4 kings. That's bad right?
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #108 on: March 30, 2008, 01:56:37 pm »

Dumbass question time: What is the purpose/what are the rules behind the Utility position in the roster?
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #109 on: March 30, 2008, 04:51:41 pm »

It is basically the same as The Designated Hitter.

You can put any damn hitter you like there and, also, it is the only place you can put Utility players... that is to say, players who do not qualify for any defensive position, either because they are always DHs, always pinch-hitters or... I think in some cases, if they are a new call-up with no defensive pedigree per the Yahoo system.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #110 on: March 30, 2008, 05:34:18 pm »

Throughout my admittedly short-life I have studied many things.

Literature, art, music, science for example.

In all of these fields of study I have encountered difficulties. Despite this, I have managed to unlock the enigmatic thoughts of the great writers; find meaning in the most vague daubing; compose beautiful symphonies and understand the minutest details and facets of quantum physics.

Baseball, however, is fuck*ng ridiculous! I can't make head or tail of this (though I eagerly anticipate the first matches)
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #111 on: March 30, 2008, 07:21:03 pm »

Complicated, obscure, statistically-obsessed and yet... in its weakest moments... wholly focused on the fluke that is the long bomb. When you understand baseball, you understand America in all its glory and all its sickness alike.

We can't just have dudes kick a ball in one direction or another, we are way too twisted up inside.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #112 on: March 30, 2008, 07:46:28 pm »

Are you beating me in our 'match' at the moment? I figure I should ask for advice on understanding that at least.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #113 on: March 31, 2008, 03:44:10 pm »

A word of caution: they're only called "matches" in fantasy baseball. If you call a real baseball game a match, someone will throw apple pie at you.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #114 on: April 01, 2008, 02:09:29 am »

So far:

My team can rake! Pitch? Not so much.

Basically, my team looks a lot like the Phillies right now.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #115 on: April 01, 2008, 03:50:40 am »

My best starting pitcher (really my only good starting pitcher) gave up a homer in the first inning, but managed to pitch the rest of the way without giving up any more runs. Let's just say seeing your ace's ERA drop from 27.00 to under 3.00 is a lovely sight.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #116 on: April 04, 2008, 06:20:10 am »

I forget who is the Fightin' Phlogs but...

Aw man, that Braves-heavy strategy is rough chuckles.

I am not being gloaty, I am full-on condolencating.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #117 on: April 04, 2008, 06:32:29 am »

I did some shifting around so maybe my team wont suck as much. I am open to trades for first line mets players.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #118 on: April 05, 2008, 09:48:52 pm »

Baseball season doesn't REALLY start until the first Mets-Braves game.

4 1/2 innings in, and I've already busted about six blood vessels in my head.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #119 on: April 06, 2008, 11:12:56 pm »

Men with No Name, I have responded to your trade offer and I have responded with vigor.

Also:

Please save my week, Carlos Guillen. I need a run, a coupla hits and... maybe a stolen base outta ya?

That'd get me AVG, R and SB... I've already locked up W, K and SV... I am good with the pitching counting stats. The power stats... uh... not so much. RBI and HR are lost causes and I'm locked into losing WHIP and ERA but...

If you could get me a 6-4 or even a 5-4-1 week while I kick the tires, here, that'd be great.

Thanks.

EDIT: Okay, you got me the two hits and the run... there's not a whole lotta stolen bases to be had when you're down by fuckin' eleven. That'll do, pig. That'll do.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 02:57:30 am by littlefallsmets »
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16   Go Up