Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "Supporting" bacon is easy. Who's going to get on the mayonnaise bandwagon with me?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit  (Read 17231 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2008, 04:07:37 am »

Hey, hey, my my.  Rock and roll will never die. 

Just hang your hair down in your eyes and make a million dollars. 

Does anybody remember Todd Snyder (besides me)? 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit
« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2008, 04:16:17 am »

Quote
Hey, hey, my my.  Rock and roll will never die. 

Ah!

See, for some reason I wanted to post the lyrics to Keep on Rockin' in the Free World, but I wasn't sure why.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2008, 04:47:40 am »

Sharing my feelings on Dylansteencamp with other internet friends, someone pointed out that there are two kinds of people in the world... Neil Young people and Bob Dylan people and... yeah, she's probably right.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit
« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2008, 04:59:04 am »

I'll be a Leonard Cohen person if I can restrict myself to listening to people who've covered his stuff.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit
« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2008, 05:46:19 am »

Sharing my feelings on Dylansteencamp with other internet friends, someone pointed out that there are two kinds of people in the world... Neil Young people and Bob Dylan people and... yeah, she's probably right.

I am both those kinds of people, so, no.

Unless there is some Venn-diagramness going on.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit
« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2008, 02:20:15 pm »

I've met and interacted with two of the three that sMets is setting on fire so his opinion on them is pretty much amusing self-conceptions to me.

Amuse me some more, dude, tell me what you think about Willie Nelson!

Story Time! 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit
« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2008, 04:47:00 pm »

Any country crooner who does a song about gay cowboys is alright in my book.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit
« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2008, 06:40:36 pm »

Sharing my feelings on Dylansteencamp with other internet friends, someone pointed out that there are two kinds of people in the world... Neil Young people and Bob Dylan people and... yeah, she's probably right.

Um, no, at least three... Do we really have to choose between whiny-non-singing-voice pretentious baby boomer political singer-songwriter or the other? Can't one abstain?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit
« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2008, 02:10:09 am »

I will let her know, Ash. 

I knew you had met Some Dudes but I can't keep track of who all.  I was hoping for...I dunno...narrative examples of how nice people can be? 

I have read some such things about Scott Bakula but am sort of curious as to what it's like to hang out with The Coog.  I mean, I think I can imagine it, but you can never tell how much of a person's attitude is just stage presence, you know? 

Just tell me it's exactly like you'd expect, and I'll be happy. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit
« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2008, 03:29:26 pm »

 ;D
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

colmore

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 56
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 379
  • Sorry Mom, Sorry Dad, Sorry College
    • View Profile
Re: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit
« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2008, 04:57:27 am »

Go to Brooklyn.  Transfer from the G train to the L train on a Friday or Saturday night.  those are f u c k i n g hipsters.  Not college radio types.  Not indie rockers.  Not scenesters.  Not art kids.  Not well dressed 24 year olds.  Not party people.  Not cokeheads.  HIPSTERS.  Everything else this side of Berlin is an imitation. 

Hipsterism is way more than music.  Lots of those kids don't give a shit about Animal Collective, Vampire Weekend, or whoever.  It's about projecting an extremely calculated form or privileged-cool.  And cool is about the shittiest concept we ever came up with as a culture.  The whole point of it is to put model-years on everything so no matter what you like, you have to be constantly buying the new version of it.

I was an indie rock teen in the 90s and then went to college in new york in 2001.  2000s capital h-Hipsterism is a weird small little thing, and it's hella obnoxious.  My response to it was to buy the Harry Smith anthology of American folk music and quit going out to live music for 4 years.  This made me sad, and even worse made me realize that rock and roll has not had one single new idea since the 80s.  Lo-fi was the last cutting edge, and Neutral Milk made the last decent Lo-fi record in 1998.  Rock and roll right now is jazz circa oh 1976 or so.  There's still lots of good people doing good work, but innovation has vanished and the audience is going away.  In 10 years it will be nothing but nerds and geezers.  Rock and roll will never die, but it will only live in the same sense that 18th century Venetian waltzes are still alive.  Want to hear rock and roll's death rattle?  Watch Scrubs.

Cool on the other hand is frikkin immortal.  And rock and roll had a lot to do with that.  It took the edge and energy of black underground culture and mainstreamed it, making a boatload of money in the process and turned cyclic media addiction into cultural currency.  Rock and roll is a corpse to be thrown over the railing, but Madison Avenue will keep cool alive until the bombs start falling or the aliens show up or the extinction virus / self-aware-international-banking-computer / or whatever else kills us all.

These days I'm just trying to see as many of the 50s greats as I can before they all die.  I got to meet Bo Diddley a couple years ago, and that was just the coolest thing in my entire life ever.

Hmmm that got depressing.  I need more sleep.
Logged
In Capitalist America, bank robs you!

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit
« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2008, 05:03:35 am »

Quote
Everything else this side of Berlin is an imitation. 
my possibly-best-friend/future roommate who is from Brooklyn says the same thing. He laughs. "These people think they're hipsters? hilarious."

I don't know. There's plenty of music in the world which isn't anything new, and it's still good. I am OK with seeing bands that I enjoy that don't have any new ideas, just new songs.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit
« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2008, 05:06:28 am »

Quote from: colmore
cool is about the shittiest concept we ever came up with as a culture.  The whole point of it is to put model-years on everything so no matter what you like, you have to be constantly buying the new version of it.

Want to hear rock and roll's death rattle?  Watch Scrubs.

So much wisdom here.

You are canned and "Scrubs" is terrible and the sky is blue.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit
« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2008, 05:10:31 am »

I hate when I realize that I hate something so much (scrubs, 95% of family guy) and my roommates all love it unconditionally.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit
« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2008, 05:14:53 am »

Scrubs is the living breathing oozing horrifying television version of "twee".

"Gosh, aren't we clever? Aren't we so amazingly clever? I mean, wow, we just can't get over ourselves and how clever we are? Oh man, we're meta and it feels so good!"

Oh man, when the revolution goes down, involvement in "Scrubs" is definitely gonna involve a coupla years breakin' rocks and stampin' out license plates.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up