Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Listen, I've been duped by "English-speaking" pizza places before.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: So...What are you wearing?  (Read 10705 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
So...What are you wearing?
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2003, 10:05:09 pm »

Mite, you're breaking my heart.

If I lived anywhere near whatever city you live in I'd totally go see schlock movies with you.

So even if you're sad and lonely in real life, you still have virtual friends.

Anyway, I'm late to a party with a bunch of old-before-their-time literary hipsters, all dressing as stupid literary characters that I'll never begin to guess ("Don't you get it?  I'm "Stevie," the character in the bar at the beginning of Philip Roth's fourth novel!")

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

And for the record, I'm going as Jack Gladney.  I'm sure someone here will know who he is and what my costume entails.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
So...What are you wearing?
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2003, 10:16:08 pm »

Jough, I'm not sure what was meant by your phrase "schlock movies," but Death Cab for Cutie is a rather excellent band; I would assume from the context that Mates of State is also a band (though I have no idea of their relative excellence)
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
So...What are you wearing?
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2003, 10:28:04 pm »

See, I saw those two titles and just assumed B-Horror-Films.  Especially since people usually use the verb "to see" for films and "to hear" for music.

I'm so not hip with the kids.  Are these like, "National" bands on large labels or are they hip local bands of some city?

-- Jough, so, SO out-of-touch when it comes to contemporary music

V-Adore

  • Guest
So...What are you wearing?
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2003, 10:46:45 pm »

After a few discarded ideas and 11th-hour costume shopping, I'm going to be Tim the Sorcerer tonight. I figure it will garner stares from 95% of the population and wild gesticulations and quotes from the other 5%. Also, I get to wear a cape.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
So...What are you wearing?
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2003, 10:56:15 pm »

jough, download some Death Cab (and if you're into it, some Postal Service) and you'll see that though they mightn't be nationally crazy-go-nuts popular, they orta be.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

FeeReep

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 109
    • View Profile
So...What are you wearing?
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2003, 11:45:22 pm »

I LOVE DCFC, so I shed no tears for Mite until Monday when all those damn kids are still hopped up on Charleston Chews or whatever whippersnappers are handed these days.

Oh, and I am dressed as a disgruntled hotel worker tonight.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
So...What are you wearing?
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2003, 12:25:58 am »

Quote from: "side_show"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
As usual, I have pondered the costume issue until the 11th hour, and now, I have a party to go to this evening.

I think I will go and buy long hair and a long beard and a volleyball and a red sharpie. Shred up my clothes a little bit and be the Cast Away guy. and Wilson.


The obvious choice of a terrible stereotypical costume for you would be a coconut bra and grass skirt.


Why would I wear work clothes to a halloween party?
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
So...What are you wearing?
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2003, 12:58:59 am »

I ran out of candy so I just started handing out E.  

No complaints so far.

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
So...What are you wearing?
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2003, 01:07:34 am »

Quote from: "jough"
Mite, you're breaking my heart.

If I lived anywhere near whatever city you live in I'd totally go see schlock movies with you.


Awwww, jough that's sweet. Indie bands, schlock movies - I'm up for anything.  :)

And it's not like I'm completely isolated down here. But none of my friends share my taste in music, so I end up being the chick in the corner of the bar with my nose in a book during the set change a lot.

Jough - I'm planning on reading White Noise just as soon as I fight my way through all of Gravity's Rainbow. I take it your costume is a ringing endorsement?
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
So...What are you wearing?
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2003, 04:26:28 am »

i started handing out gift certs from local prostitutes around 7:30 (i'd run out of "fun-sized" snickers bars). i had a load of gangsters visit me around 9:00, and just had to turn my lights out.

it's amazing what you'll give away when you've got a 9mm pointed at your face.

mrs|Choop said, "Here! Take the sewing machine!" which cursed my costume to the hell of unfinished garbery.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
So...What are you wearing?
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2003, 05:45:32 am »

White Noise is my (our?) generation's "Ulysses."  It's masterful, funny, brilliant but down-to-earth.  I'll teach it anytime it's even slightly appropriate.  

I can't say I'd recommend it to a middle school crowd, though, even though they'd probably enjoy it, because it's the kind of book that will have you standing before a board of inquiry (have I told the story of when I tried to teach "120 Days of Sodom" in an Intro to Lit course yet?).

Anyway, I hope your Halloween was better than mine "down there."

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
So...What are you wearing?
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2003, 09:40:15 am »

Not enough emphasis is placed on the "tricks" part of the trick or treat equation so among the fun sized snickers and hershey's kisses a few youngsters walked away with fresh limes.  One even thanked me, being a lime lover.  I'm just thankful none of them were thrown through one of my windows.

~Paul

PS- Ok, i'm not that evil, I gave everybody candy, even the lime recipients.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
So...What are you wearing?
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2003, 09:50:03 am »

At the "Fall Festival" (I hate that shit, it's Halloween you assholes) my 10 year old neice asked me in a very serious voice "What's trick or treating like Uncle Paul?"  OMG, we've got an entire generation of children who have never experienced trick or treating.  Is it like this around the entire country?  Trick or treating is pretty much extinct here in Houston.  Of course it's here that a psycho killed his two children on halloween with arsnic laced pixie sticks snuck into the kids goodie bag.  That was back in the 80's.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
So...What are you wearing?
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2003, 11:35:35 am »

We had tons of trick or treaters this year.

There was a piece on NPR last night - someone did the research and showed that no kids have ever gotten tainted candy from strangers on Halloween.  It's all urban legends.  The only times it did happen, it was actually someone the kids knew - a father did it once and tried to make it look like it was due to trick or treating.

I guess the lesson is, ONLY take your candy from strangers.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

V-Adore

  • Guest
So...What are you wearing?
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2003, 05:43:37 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
(have I told the story of when I tried to teach "120 Days of Sodom" in an Intro to Lit course yet?).

If you actually did this, Jough, you are my god. I mean, more than before.

Anyway, the post-Halloween report... got a pretty goodly load of candy, including some "appropriated" from frosh rooms as a fine for them not being there. That, and we got to show up at the college president's house and demand candy (and get it!), which is why it is awesome to go to a small school.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up