Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Would Star Trek have had the same gravitas if Spock had been named Vince?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Dinner Party Menus  (Read 11207 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Dinner Party Menus
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2008, 04:59:18 pm »

It must be that, because Lister asks for some ketchup to pep up his lobster, then says "brown, not tomato" when he gets a dirty look from Kryten.
I was briefly amused while reading this post thinking,  Lister?  Not that one.  The other one.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Dinner Party Menus
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2008, 06:13:46 pm »

For those of you who are still on-topic, I went with the root beer, and skipped the basil. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Re: Dinner Party Menus
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2008, 08:04:00 pm »

For those of you who are still on-topic, I went with the root beer, and skipped the basil. 

For those of us who are off-topic: BOOBIES!
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Dinner Party Menus
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2008, 08:55:21 pm »

For those of us who are off-topic: BOOBIES!

That's always on-topic.
Logged

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Dinner Party Menus
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2008, 10:49:16 pm »

Mods: please resist the urge to spinoff this thread with the Pretend Sports thread to create a Pretend BOOBIES thread. It's just... not worth it.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Dinner Party Menus
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2008, 09:31:06 am »

I was briefly amused while reading this post thinking,  Lister?  Not that one.  The other one.

I don't put ketchup on lobster.

Burgers?  Hell yeah.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Dinner Party Menus
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2008, 02:53:21 pm »

Ok, I need to get my eyes checked.  I read this thread title as 'Dinner Party Menses.'  I'm actually happy that this was not the actual title.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Dinner Party Menus
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2008, 05:38:43 pm »

I doubt that would be a kosher meal.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Dinner Party Menus
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2008, 08:36:33 pm »



PULLED PORK, MOFOS

I MADE THIS

on account of I am AWESOME.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Dinner Party Menus
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2008, 08:37:05 pm »

Oh, yes.  The verdict on the menu ranged from "yeah, it's...good" to "most excellent, may I have seconds please?"  I think, in retrospect, that the pasta *could* have used a stronger note like basil or something.  Maybe some ground pinoli or even walnuts?  It just lacked "bite." 

The frittata rolls, however, were awesome.  I very nearly pulled my head off my neck through the sheer joy of it all. 

Next question:

We are having a friend (single, male, recently broken-up-with) for dinner Sunday, and my brother-in-law sent Pedro an enormous box of sausage (bratwurst, applewurst, smoked cheddar, jalepeno, and hickory smoked).  How do I turn five flavors of fine sausage into a delicious, hearty, unique meal for three?  I have about 2 lbs of each except the applewurst and the smoked cheddar sausage, of which we have already eaten half a pound each.  (I grilled it & we put it on buns the night we got it.) 

I am open to suggestions for one-dish, casserole types of meals as well as side dishes to serve alongside the sausages all grilled up and smoky.  But I prefer something that showcases the unique flavors of each variety. 

Left to my own devices I will probably just grill the sausages and serve mashed potatoes and a green vegetable on the side.  So you can see I am in need of help here. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Re: Dinner Party Menus
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2008, 08:40:28 pm »



PULLED PORK, MOFOS

I MADE THIS

on account of I am AWESOME.

I looked at your picture.  It made me hungry.  You are awesome.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Dinner Party Menus
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2008, 08:42:38 pm »

BA had a menu a couple years back in which they served grilled sausages with a variety of condiments that could be switched out as one prefers to fit each sausage's strenghts and weaknesses.

I would think potato salad would be much better with grilled snausages than mashers, but that's just me.  I like this here macaroni salad for grillin' times as well.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Dinner Party Menus
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2008, 08:53:56 pm »

I looked at your picture.  It made me hungry.  You are awesome.

Me, too. 

Hey Pedro, wanna get some pulled pork on your way home from work tonight? 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Dinner Party Menus
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2008, 09:22:52 pm »

Brats + Peppers&Onions + hossradish = AWESOME ON A PLATE. 

My friend is of Polish/German extraction and has a big, warm, greasy soft spot for brats, and that is exactly the way to do it up right. 

Gotta disagree on the broccoli, though.  I don't eat miniature trees.  I was thinking of a mac and cheese variation, I could do it in the slow cooker for the sake of simplicity.  Also, I like the suggestion for the apple sausage/bacon string bean infusion. 

Now this is starting to sound like an Iron Chef competition.  Who has a good sausage dessert? 

I totally did not mean that the way it sounded. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Dinner Party Menus
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2008, 09:32:21 pm »

Mac and cheese or potatoes and cheese is too heavy to go with sausage, for me. But maybe I am a wimp.

I would also want a light and fruity sort of dessert, though.

But back up a minute, shouldn't you share that recipe for fritatta rolls so the rest of us can pull our heads off too?

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up