Well, science eliminates the need for a 'why', I'm no scien-ma-tist but the prevailing philosophy seems to be things are because they are, and I can be happy with that. I'm just contending that both viewpoints are equally valid, and there's nothing wrong with accepting things don't always have a why, not looking to turn this into an issue (because it's a personal matter anyway).
.
Dan, that's what I was responding to with the "things are because they are".
As for the second: Science to too great a degree puts humans at the pinnacle of existence - yet the continuous search for answers invariably causes more questions in science - the 'how" questions, mainly. Rational Humanism, in my mind, is the absence of a conceptual "God"; placing logic and reason at the pinnacle of philosophical expression, and believing that we as humans are actually in charge of everything down here.
When I mention that 'essence' or 'singularity' I'm talking about the final thing you find. Molecules are made of atoms. Atoms are made of protons, neutrons, electrons. Protons, neutrons and electrons are made of up, down, right, left, charmed and strange quarks. Quarks are probably made of something. That something is probably made of something. Eventually you have to come to the end of that rope, to that essential substance or singularity that is the basic building block. Or do you?
The same applies in the very large. What force or energy or mass or object created/caused/energized the first big bang? And what powers that?
Science in these kinds of physics is all about how these things work, how they are described, how they behave, etc. I think this realm of study lends itself powerfully to the "why" question, with the question being asked (in my opinion) of the Creator who put all these things in place.
To me the more important question is the "why" questions. Because there is no end to the how; we will continue to find more and more in both the large and the small as we study them. The why is answerable; through faith. The how is not.