Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Irish Nachos are a charming take on the original, but I wonder what Uighur Nachos would be like. A mutton leg on a crisped pita?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 23 April 2008 - Eight Millimeter Balkan Hitting-Porn  (Read 3446 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

MrCB

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 18
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 122
    • View Profile
23 April 2008 - Eight Millimeter Balkan Hitting-Porn
« on: April 23, 2008, 08:15:54 am »

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=04232008

So so many choices of title here. It's good to see the Roomba again.
Logged
I'LL BE DEAD BY THE TIME THEY SLAP THE CUFFS ON

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 23 April 2008 - Eight Millimeter Balkan Hitting-Porn
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 01:13:36 pm »

The close-up of Teodor is way creepier than I was prepared to see at 9am.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: 23 April 2008 - Eight Millimeter Balkan Hitting-Porn
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 01:15:06 pm »

I understand Beef's concern, but I saw the cinema/reconditioning scene when I was like 12 years old, and that shit freaked me out.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: 23 April 2008 - Eight Millimeter Balkan Hitting-Porn
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 01:28:41 pm »

CTO have connected here on a personal level. A lot of people see this movie as some kind of masterpiece, I thought it was patently absurd. I mean, I understood what Kubrick was doing from an artistic perspective, but it was just too distracting.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: 23 April 2008 - Eight Millimeter Balkan Hitting-Porn
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 01:46:14 pm »

This movie is in my Netflix queue.  I noticed recently that it is available for instant access. 

Hm. 

Hm. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: 23 April 2008 - Eight Millimeter Balkan Hitting-Porn
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 02:07:36 pm »

Props for Roomba being on the bed next to T in the first panel.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 23 April 2008 - Eight Millimeter Balkan Hitting-Porn
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 02:45:50 pm »

Props for Roomba being on the bed next to T in the first panel.

At first glance I thought that was his hat
Logged

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: 23 April 2008 - Eight Millimeter Balkan Hitting-Porn
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 06:48:01 pm »

Dude. This comic made me laugh so hard. It's difficult to explain to your co-workers why a drawing of a bear using the word "bonch" just made you spit water on your desk.

But, man, was it worth it.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: 23 April 2008 - Eight Millimeter Balkan Hitting-Porn
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 08:25:25 pm »

Props for Roomba being on the bed next to T in the first panel.
That's some serious devotion to a *****ic appliance.  I would not have thought they were all that snuggly.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: 23 April 2008 - Eight Millimeter Balkan Hitting-Porn
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 08:48:10 pm »

This movie is in my Netflix queue.  I noticed recently that it is available for instant access. 

Hm. 

Hm. 

Call this a hunch, but I am pretty sure you will detest this movie.

I did a Clockwork Orange for my A Level coursework (basically a small dissertation), and having seen the film I was pleasantly surprised by the direction Kubrick took the film in, stylistically etc. I think he captured the 'feel' of the book pretty well, while fleshing out a lot of the tale with the artistic licence he gave himself.

Still reckon it's a better book than film, and was interesting to study (a bit of a stretch when I was using it in a compare-and-contrast question with 1984). It's very hit-and-miss though, the language in both mediums turns a lot of people off and if not viewed in a certain way it appears incredibly absurd. There's also the violence, rape, misogyny, etc. Best watch it with a surreal air, I suppose.

Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: 23 April 2008 - Eight Millimeter Balkan Hitting-Porn
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 08:51:52 pm »

Let me ask this way: Two of my favorite movies are Dr. Strangelove and Fight Club. 

Will I enjoy A Clockwork Orange? 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: 23 April 2008 - Eight Millimeter Balkan Hitting-Porn
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 08:54:48 pm »

Let me ask this way: Two of my favorite movies are Dr. Strangelove and Fight Club. 

Will I enjoy A Clockwork Orange? 

Well I love those films too, and I enjoyed it, and I expect many people are the same.

So I would go for it, I think it's a film that should be seen.

I'm just a bit cautious recommending this film to the stronger sex as at least three lovely women have gone mental at me for recommending this film to them (they really did hate it that much).
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: 23 April 2008 - Eight Millimeter Balkan Hitting-Porn
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2008, 08:58:06 pm »

Dr.Strangelove and Fight Club have thinly veiled philosophical messages that multiply the entertainment value of the film. The message behind ACO is like, warning you against brainwashing or against taking the pursuit of an ideal society too far. Meanwhile, you watch a bunch of rape, senseless violence, lactating statues, and bizarre costumes.
I'd say give it a spin just because its one of those modern classics, and try to turn your mind off like you do during a sci-fi or thriller movie so the absurdity of it all doesn't distract from Kubrick's artistic vision.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: 23 April 2008 - Eight Millimeter Balkan Hitting-Porn
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2008, 09:01:06 pm »

try to turn your mind off like you do during a sci-fi or thriller movie so the absurdity of it all doesn't distract from Kubrick's artistic vision.

Yes that is good advice right here there.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 23 April 2008 - Eight Millimeter Balkan Hitting-Porn
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2008, 09:27:13 pm »

Quote
try to turn your mind off like you do during a sci-fi

Oh no you di'n't! You've crossed a line, my friend.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up