Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I got mad about Robert Fripp's "music" again. I need to go to bed.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Take Your Offspring to Work Day  (Read 4394 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Asherdan

  • Flavor-Flav's Blinking Tooth
  • Mod Squad
  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 678
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 188
    • View Profile
Take Your Offspring to Work Day
« on: April 24, 2008, 08:51:23 pm »

« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 05:40:46 pm by Asherdan »
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Take Your Offspring to Work Day
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 08:58:47 pm »

My current jobs always schedules Employee Appreciation Day for today, so most of the staff is busy getting massages or playing hallway mini-golf to notice if kids are running around. I think I've seen 2 or 3.

My last job didn't allow it at all. We often put put press releases to bitch about it because it's during the school year. They wanted it moved to July so it wouldn't hurt the kids' education.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Take Your Offspring to Work Day
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 09:23:15 pm »

My kids are still too young for this, but when they get older Pedro will certainly have a grand time with it.  He basically thinks everyone should be a computer programmer.  (He's been trying to convince *me* to go back to school for it -- thanks but no thanks.) 

I never got to do this as a kid because my mom didn't have a job and my dad was a teacher.  So being pulled out of school to go spend the day at a different school was...redundant. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Take Your Offspring to Work Day
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 02:40:31 am »

I didn't realize today was the day, but there were lots of folks with kids around the office (not IN the office where I was working, but out on the street and such), but I figured it out pretty quickly.

My kids are a bit too young for this yet.  And while I like the overall idea, I'm not sure they'll get much out of it when I do take them.  My job is too immaterial. "OK, we're going to go sit in a meeting now.  Now Daddy's going to send a bunch of e-mails.  Now Daddy's going to surf the web for a while, to evade mind-crushing boredom."  Like, I'll have to come up with the absolutely most inetersting things I do over the course of a year, and save them for Take Your Kids to Work Day.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Take Your Offspring to Work Day
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 04:55:07 am »

Do you want to hear something sad?  On Take Your Kid to Work day, rich people who can't/don't want to take their kids to work send them to the theatre, and we have to keep them occupied.  Usually these are kids from the uber-expensive private school, and we make them do boring menial work all day.  I have occasionally asked these kids what their parents do, and they have never been the sort of jobs where the kids couldn't have gone to work with them, and the kids make vague, kid style excuses for their parents. 
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 08:23:12 pm by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Take Your Offspring to Work Day
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 03:30:46 pm »

I had avoided making a pun regarding this thread and the one-hit bubblegum-punk band Offspring, not because I lacked the ability to work "come out and play/you gotta keep 'em separated" into a pun but... rather... because I hoped that the world had forgotten them and no one would get the joke and...

Only my brain, with its steel trap for catching the garbage grease that flows off the cooking our culture, remembered that band at all.

But, I dunno, I just wanted to lay it out there because... in theory... it mighta been worth half a laugh.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Take Your Offspring to Work Day
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 04:06:23 pm »

Come Out and Play was our entrance music back when I was wrestling. Well, we briefly used More Human Than Human, but having to fast-forward past the moaning every time got kind of old. And if you don't like the album Smash then to what music do you work out?



Intermission. Ahhhhhhhhhh.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Take Your Offspring to Work Day
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 05:34:14 pm »

I had Smash on cassette.  About ten years later, my brother-in-law -- then seventeen -- told me one day, "you've got to hear this great band I discovered."  Of course it was the Offspring.  I was like, "Dude, I've been listening to them since before you knew what music was." 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Take Your Offspring to Work Day
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2008, 12:14:01 am »

I was chatting online to a friend of mine who is mentally categorised as a music snob and I made some comment when Offspring came up in my random list to the effect of 'Ech, Offspring, not in the mood' to which she replied that it was 'Always time for Offspring.'
Which I thought was a fair enough assessment.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Take Your Offspring to Work Day
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2008, 01:48:56 am »

It is probably a lot less that I am new to the SoCal and a lot more that... I don't listen to much punk.

Also: if I had ever been a wrestler, I would've come out to GNR "Dead hoss"...

The house would cut dark, you'd hear Axl mutter "when she said she was gonna, like, wreck my car? I didn't know WHAT to do..." and then when when the dude screams "WHHHOOOOOA!" I'd run out and fireworks would go off to both my sides as I ran down the ramp.

Also also: if I had ever been a relief pitcher, ironically enough, my entrance music would be a wrestler's... Mick Foley's "Wreck"...

So that as I came out to throw to my one lefty-lefty match-up batter, the first thing you'd hear would be a car crash... sorta an inverse Wild Thing sorta move.

Also also also: I don't often work out but when I do, I work out to NIN "Broken".

Sorta like that beardy guy and Dos Ecces, except even cooler.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Take Your Offspring to Work Day
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2008, 03:27:57 am »

My wife has some pretty sterling punk credentials and maintains that Offspring were really good pre-Smash. I haven't bothered to find out. I liked Smash when I was 14 or whatever.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Take Your Offspring to Work Day
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2008, 05:15:06 pm »

It is probably a lot less that I am new to the SoCal and a lot more that... I don't listen to much punk.

Also: if I had ever been a wrestler, I would've come out to GNR "Dead hoss"...

The house would cut dark, you'd hear Axl mutter "when she said she was gonna, like, wreck my car? I didn't know WHAT to do..." and then when when the dude screams "WHHHOOOOOA!" I'd run out and fireworks would go off to both my sides as I ran down the ramp.

Also also: if I had ever been a relief pitcher, ironically enough, my entrance music would be a wrestler's... Mick Foley's "Wreck"...

So that as I came out to throw to my one lefty-lefty match-up batter, the first thing you'd hear would be a car crash... sorta an inverse Wild Thing sorta move.

Also also also: I don't often work out but when I do, I work out to NIN "Broken".

Sorta like that beardy guy and Dos Ecces, except even cooler.

For some reason it took me a really long time to stop confusing Mick Foley's car crash intro and SCSA's glass shattering intro. Which lead to some hilarious mix-ups, let me tell you.
Logged

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Take Your Offspring to Work Day
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008, 10:39:18 am »

Once my dad took me to work when I was little'un, and I promptly proceeded to turn off the big computer mainframe (like they had in the '90s).

He was not very happy and I did not get to go to work with him again.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Take Your Offspring to Work Day
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2008, 09:37:37 pm »

That sounds so much like part of a plot for a ridiculous 90s kids' movie.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Take Your Offspring to Work Day
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2008, 09:47:05 pm »

Especially if the mainframe's AI was voiced by Kelsey Grammer.

...was it?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up