Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

But Pat, the Cure is silly! It is silly to like The Cure!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Death Cab for Cutie  (Read 6181 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Death Cab for Cutie
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2006, 06:07:20 pm »

It is wrong to resurrect these zombie threads.

Do you know why?

Because I thought Mite was back and am now disappointed.

This is why I go through and lock threads that go six months without a response. I was reading that and going 'Hey! Mite! and Choop!" but it was just a dead thread looking for brains to eat.

Boo to that.  Mods, put a bullet behind the ear of old dead threads.

Do it for the children
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Death Cab for Cutie
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2006, 06:15:08 pm »

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Death Cab for Cutie
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2006, 06:38:02 pm »

If it's worth talking about, people would talk about it. If it's worth talking about again, start a new thread.

11/20/03 to 3/4/06 is kind of a long time to pick up on a thought. If you have something <that> revolutionary to say on a topic, it probably deserves a new thread. If it's just more drop-in comments coming two years late, what's the point?

If you have something really interesting to contribute to a locked thread, just PM a Mod and ask them to re-open it. I don't think anyone here would refuse to do that.
Logged

Emmoh

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 120
    • View Profile
    • Shameless
Re: Death Cab for Cutie
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2006, 06:58:23 pm »

I'm glad this thread came back. I was even more n00by then, and I did not want to offend people and lose metaphorical tiny cans of Dr. Pepper (metaphorical, as they weren't there yet) when I revealed that I didn't much care for DCFC. I've always been more inclined towards the likes of Appleseed Cast and Waxwing for my oversensitive pretty guitar rock.

However, I did happen to catch half of Death Cab's set at Lollapalooza this past summer, and I must say, I was pleasantly surprised. The material came off genuine, and much more engaging. Also helping their case, I think, anyway, is that they are not good looking dudes. For some reason, there's something much more believable hearing those kind of lyrics coming from balding dudes of gravity as opposed to pretty boy multimillionaires like Carraba (who had played the day previous.)

Emmoh

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 120
    • View Profile
    • Shameless
Re: Death Cab for Cutie
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2006, 07:00:45 pm »

You like bass? How about only bass? It ain't a rick, but this April Fools day is my treat. 500 Watts of high speed laser vomit.

Gratuitious plug for my doggs in Bearclaw.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Death Cab for Cutie
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2006, 08:20:38 pm »

Huh. I saw Appleseed Cast on a mix CD listing and just asumed it was from an anime soundtrack, not an actual band.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Death Cab for Cutie
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2006, 04:38:24 am »

I'm not sure whether I like DCFC all the way, but "We Looked Like Giants" is basically like treasure. It is love.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Death Cab for Cutie
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2006, 05:16:28 am »

If it's worth talking about, people would talk about it. If it's worth talking about again, start a new thread.

It's always better to post to the old thread, especially since the old topic wasn't exactly discussed to death.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Death Cab for Cutie
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2006, 06:41:29 am »

If it's worth talking about, people would talk about it. If it's worth talking about again, start a new thread.

It's always better to post to the old thread, especially since the old topic wasn't exactly discussed to death.

Gods Own Dick said it, I believe it, that settles it.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Death Cab for Cutie
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2006, 02:38:33 pm »

I'm not sure whether I like DCFC all the way, but "We Looked Like Giants" is basically like treasure. It is love.

Oh, no way.  That's the song where he actually uses the line "We learned how our bodies worked."  barf

The first four or so tracks on that album are good, though.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Death Cab for Cutie
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2006, 02:47:36 pm »

Oh, no way.  That's the song where he actually uses the line "We learned how our bodies worked."  barf

PRETENTIOUSNESS MODE: ON

I think it's a matter of ethos, myself. The ethos I've always read off of DCFC, and especially that song, is this sort of "clueless adolescent grown regretful" thing: not the brightest narrator ever, nor the most articulate, but self-reflective. "We learned how our bodies worked" is exactly the sort of phraseology you would expect from someone who is not entirely not a doofus reflecting on his more-doofusish adolescence and the fallout thereof. This is why I used it on my mixtape about a stumbling man-child trying to deal with grief and culpability following his girlfriend's suicide.

PRETENTIOUSNESS MODE: OFF FOR NOW
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Death Cab for Cutie
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2006, 04:50:05 pm »

Yeah, I like some of the DCFC songs, but their lyrics are pretty banal.

If the silence takes you then I hope it takes me too. (ooh, shudder!)

soaring through my atmostphere (chortle)

I think the songs aren't horrible since rock lyrics are rarely literate anyway, but they're not exactly impressive in the lyric department.

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
Re: Death Cab for Cutie
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2006, 10:05:26 pm »

Hm... whenever I see mention of Death Cab, I automatically just recommend the b-sides/rarities album which is the only one I own.. they do a cover of The Smiths 'This Charming Man' and all the b-sides are much easier to swallow.... it does just cover the earliest album though, I think, so perhaps they were just all around better.

'Soul Meets Body' my mom made me include on one past yoga mix, but I can say that one got cheesy.. heh.

I also like the Postal Service album, but after like 50 listens, I haven't been back since.. I may bring it out again sometime when I forget I got tired of it.
Logged
Texas only kept me awake
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up