Oh man - even the theme song from that show scared me as a kid. What is it with dad's and not knowing something is inappropriate. I remember back in the early days of VHS, my dad rented Alien Nation for him and I to watch one night. I was so confused about armpit sex. So confused, and too embarrassed to ask.
My dad fried eggs, made popcorn and barbecued (poorly). My mother was a terrible, terrible cook. She used to peel, boil and mash potatoes with only nutmeg - no milk or butter or salt or pepper add, and call it mashed potatoes. She would commonly serves this with microwaved frozen broccoli or frozen carrots or the frozen mix of beans, carrot cubes and corn (also with nothing on these veggies) and this would be served with a piece of "steak" or "pork chop" my dad had BBQ's to the point where no moisture remained, with burnt edges and such. To top it all off, for ambiance, they usually fought the entire meal. It was like one of those comedy shows you see with the typically dysfunctional family? Only, I had to be in it, while pretending it wasn't really happening and quietly gagging down the grossest crap imaginable. It's no wonder I packed so much weight on when I moved out. I figured out there was actually ways to make things taste nice! With seasoning, and fresh ingredients!