Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

this is a messageboard. people talk about stuffs in messageboards. all is well&all is good.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Spy Chic  (Read 5366 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Spy Chic
« on: November 05, 2003, 03:07:17 am »

Any fans of 24 in the hizzle? Damn it looks good next week.

Just weighing interest, basically.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Spy Chic
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2003, 03:27:02 am »

I missed a couple episodes in the first season (this was pre-TiVo) and I didn't feel like I could catch up. I guess I could rent the DVDs but that would take effort and I'm just not prepared for that.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Spy Chic
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2003, 04:49:03 am »

I'm a big fan of spy/espionage shows/movies, but I don't really have time to watch tv regularly.  I've been meaning to check out the 24 DVDs, especially since I could watch the first two seasons in a row.

My problem is that if I did watch them I'd have to watch them all in "real time" - that is, I'd plan to spend an entire 24 hours watching 24.  Then I'd do it again for season 2.  And I wouldn't want to do it alone - it would be far more fun to have two 24 parties - maybe a month apart to give people time to recoup.

But try finding someone that wants to watch 48 hours of television with you.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Spy Chic
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2003, 05:29:02 am »

<intercom>

*crackle*

Mite, would you please pick up the white courtesy phone? Mite, call on you at the nearest white courtesy phone.

*fizz*

</intercom>
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Spy Chic
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2003, 11:37:09 am »

Glad I'm providing some entertainment, Choop.

I haven't seen 24 yet. I haven't had a tv for a couple of years - mostly because I was too poor to buy one in college. Now I think I don't own one just out of habit.

But as a person who used to watch the entire MST3k Turkey Day Marathon, I can definitely see the pleasure of a full day of television. I've been meaning to do that with Twin Peaks, since my parents thought it was too risqué for us when it was first on (No, I'm not quite THAT young; my Dad's a minister and we were a little sheltered).
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Spy Chic
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2003, 11:57:34 am »

Quote from: "Mite"
I've been meaning to do that with Twin Peaks, since my parents thought it was too risqué for us when it was first on (No, I'm not quite THAT young; my Dad's a minister and we were a little sheltered).


Good choice. It makes a fine day (or few) of TV.
I'm with you and Jough on the barely watching TV front.
West Wing, and erm, well that's about all I watch now. Everything else downloaded or off DVD now.
As for 24, I enjoyed the first half maybe of the first series, but after that I thought it got a bit boring. Too repetitive and, shit can't remember the word... I knew what was happening and stuff. And the second series was just silly.

Man I should really stop posting first thing in the morning. My brain just doesn't work!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Spy Chic
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2003, 03:23:07 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
I'm a big fan of spy/espionage shows/movies, but I don't really have time to watch tv regularly.  I've been meaning to check out the 24 DVDs, especially since I could watch the first two seasons in a row.

My problem is that if I did watch them I'd have to watch them all in "real time" - that is, I'd plan to spend an entire 24 hours watching 24.  Then I'd do it again for season 2.  And I wouldn't want to do it alone - it would be far more fun to have two 24 parties - maybe a month apart to give people time to recoup.

But try finding someone that wants to watch 48 hours of television with you.


It wouldn't be all that bad unless you took 22 minutes worth of pee/food breaks. IIRC only the first an last episode of each season are actually an hour, the others should be closer to 44 minutes. So it would probably be more like 18 and a half hours for each season. That's much more reasonable.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Spy Chic
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2003, 04:36:07 pm »

Slink: Predictable is I believe the word for which you were searching.

Cort: I would plan to use the extra 18 minutes per episode to go to the bathroom, make/order food, talk to the person/people in my company, etc.

I would want to at least *begin* every episode in real time, and if it were possible to time out the DVD chapters so that we could simulate actual commercial breaks that would be perfect.

I mean, if you're going to do something like this you should really do it right, you know?

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Spy Chic
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2003, 04:39:28 pm »

My soon-to-be in-laws TiVo'd all of season 2 but saved them up until they could watch the whole season all at once. They were even using best-quality so by the end there was almost no space for any other shows.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Spy Chic
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2003, 05:41:03 pm »

Other shows are overrated.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Spy Chic
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2003, 06:00:25 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Other shows are overrated.


Not Farscape, baby. Can I get a "hell yeah" from the DRDs in the house?
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Spy Chic
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2003, 10:11:40 pm »

Frellin' A yeah! I was so pissed when they moved it to 10. How could I watch every week and[/i] have a Friday night social life? Not possible.

I do wish they would rethink their DVD strategy, though. I'd buy every season if they each came on a single disc, but as it stands it's like three to five discs per season. Can't swing that.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Spy Chic
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2003, 11:40:36 pm »

I'm not sure which show you're referring to I've never seen more than 4 episodes of any show on a single DVD. And even that seems to be pushing the limitations of the medium.
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Spy Chic
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2003, 12:18:46 am »

Quote from: "CortJstr"

Not Farscape, baby. Can I get a "hell yeah" from the DRDs in the house?


I never did get into that. It had hope, but...
I far preferred FireFly (good news about the movie), though it was even more illfated than Farscape!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Spy Chic
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2003, 02:13:46 am »

The first season of "Coupling" (BBC) is on a single disc - six episodes.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up