Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

“Do what you love and the money will follow,” as they say, but I would add, “...but don’t do ONLY what you love until it generates adequate cash flow.” -=RAY=-

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: It's all green... and flashy... and possibly spoilery!  (Read 3989 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
It's all green... and flashy... and possibly spoilery!
« on: November 05, 2003, 12:28:18 pm »

So, anyone else off to see Revolutions today?
I kind of want to not like it after how big it's gotten, but I just can't forsake it.
Reloaded had problems, but I enjoyed it, and I'm heading down to the city with a couple of friends tonight to see Revolutions.
So, when and if you do... what did you think?
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
It's all green... and flashy... and possibly spoilery!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2003, 12:51:28 pm »

<biggest nerd ever>
I slept in a parking lot with then-boyfriend and several other nerdy teenage boys for Revolutions.  No, didnt sleep.  It was too cold, but I did pass out on the mall florr when they let us in.  This time, I cant even see it opening night, since tomorrow I've got a writer's craft test and I have six kinds of noun clauses to memorize.
</biggest nerd ever.>

actually, its arguable with me whether that tag should ever be closed...

Edited to mention that since I live in a small city, there was a huge picture in the paper of us in said parking lot.
Logged
goose means greedy

V-Adore

  • Guest
It's all green... and flashy... and possibly spoilery!
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2003, 04:17:17 pm »

I have friends who are going, but I'm holding off, because... <insufficient geek>I haven't actually seen Reloaded yet. And I have no plans to see the Animatrix or the video game or anything.</insufficient geek>

I really ought to camp out for a movie, if only to restore my swiftly-fading geek cred, but Episode I rather disillusioned me on that.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
It's all green... and flashy... and possibly spoilery!
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2003, 04:33:05 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
<biggest nerd ever>
I slept in a parking lot with then-boyfriend and several other nerdy teenage boys for Revolutions.


I think you mean for "Reloaded" since "Revolutions" just opened - unless you mean that you broke up with your "then-boyfriend" this morning some time?

We're going to strip you of that "biggest nerd ever" title for the time being.

And I guess by default I'm wearing it now, huh?

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
It's all green... and flashy... and possibly spoilery!
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2003, 04:36:56 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
I have friends who are going, but I'm holding off, because... <insufficient geek>I haven't actually seen Reloaded yet. And I have no plans to see the Animatrix or the video game or anything.</insufficient geek>

I really ought to camp out for a movie, if only to restore my swiftly-fading geek cred, but Episode I rather disillusioned me on that.


I got Animatrix when it came out (mainly because I'm also an otaku-geek) but haven't watched it.

You could always camp for the final third of the LotR movie. Or go to the minithon screening of the whole movie that several theatres are doing over a 10 hour stretch next month.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
It's all green... and flashy... and possibly spoilery!
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2003, 06:57:49 pm »

The New York Times review has a primer for those who missed the second film.

You really only need to know about 4 facts, since most of what happens in the second movie has absolutely no bearing on the third.

I'd use the word "disappointment" if my expectations for the third film weren't already so low.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
It's all green... and flashy... and possibly spoilery!
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2003, 07:18:44 pm »

Personally, I don't get the whole Matrix phenomenon.  Didn't see the second one, don't plan to see the third.  I thought the original was nice eye-candy but the story was pretty much lame.  How can you get excited about an SF idea that old?

Meh.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
It's all green... and flashy... and possibly spoilery!
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2003, 07:37:00 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Personally, I don't get the whole Matrix phenomenon.  Didn't see the second one, don't plan to see the third.  I thought the original was nice eye-candy but the story was pretty much lame.  How can you get excited about an SF idea that old?

Meh.


The same reason Spider-man is so popular: geek escapism. In the sense that the hero is/was extremely geeky/reclusive and it turns out that lifestyle was the best/right one all along. Take that normals!

As for LotR, I've the buzz I've heard is that it's getting Best Picture. IIRC the first 2 parts were nominated but this one will win as a symbolic overall award for all 3 since they're essentially one big ass movie.
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
It's all green... and flashy... and possibly spoilery!
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2003, 09:59:08 pm »

Saw it this morning on an IMAX screen at The Bridge.

Amazing how you can make a four hour movie, cut it in half, and somehow have the first half suck and the second half relentlessly kick ass.

What sucked: whenever The Kid spoke.  Some of the WWII-movie cliches.  Lots of questions unresolved.  Not crazy about the ending.  Morpheus barely present.

Other than that, however, it took about five minutes for it to get going and from there was pretty much the most relentless action movie I've ever seen, like the last 45 minutes of ALIENS stretched out to feature length.

Much more emotional involvement with this one than with Reloaded, as well.  I'll go on at greater length about it when more people have posted here upon seeing it.
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
It's all green... and flashy... and possibly spoilery!
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2003, 12:14:06 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"

Anyway, is Reloaded a mandatory watch for Revolutions? I've been assuming as much, but is there any way to manage otherwise? (i.e. "having a rabid fanboy explain what happened in Reloaded" &c.)


Erm, I'd say yes. Given the revolutions starts the moment reloaded ends.
And damn, it's worth seeing reloaded just so you can go see revolutions!
It is damn fun! Better than Reloaded, which I had about 2 gripes with.
Damn it was good!
Damn!

As for LotR, I still haven't seen TTT... Bleah. Just didn't get round to it, since I was immobile when it was showing, and likewise I fear I may not be able to go see RotK. Unless I do the same as with tonight and go down with my two mates, after borrowing TTT DVD.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
It's all green... and flashy... and possibly spoilery!
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2003, 03:15:23 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Personally, I don't get the whole Matrix phenomenon.  Didn't see the second one, don't plan to see the third.  I thought the original was nice eye-candy but the story was pretty much lame.  How can you get excited about an SF idea that old?

Meh.


I have to agree.  The first one was totally annoying to me - while I can't deny that some of the visual effects were pretty ground breaking, the content was totally intellectual diarrhea.  I've tried really hard to get the allure, but I just can't.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
It's all green... and flashy... and possibly spoilery!
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2003, 04:37:02 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Personally, I don't get the whole Matrix phenomenon.  Didn't see the second one, don't plan to see the third.  I thought the original was nice eye-candy but the story was pretty much lame.  How can you get excited about an SF idea that old?


Well, yea it is a fairly old SF idea, though generally more Cyberpunk which I do consider somewhat a different genre now, but it has never been executed in film at all well.
And as far as having a balls out, kung-fu laden action movie with stunning effects, the Matrix beats them all!
I have tried to avoid liking it since the first, but I can't. So I just go with it now, and dig what they're doing.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
It's all green... and flashy... and possibly spoilery!
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2003, 01:28:17 pm »

I like movies where people fight and stuff blows up.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
It's all green... and flashy... and possibly spoilery!
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2003, 02:17:49 pm »

Well me too, but that ain't all I like.  Also, some movies where people fight and stuff blows up are better than other movies where people fight and stuff blows up.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
It's all green... and flashy... and possibly spoilery!
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2003, 05:25:30 pm »

Well, if you like fighting and stuff blowing up, then The Matrix Revolutions is for you, because it's just a cavalcade of people fighting.  And stuff blowing up.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up