Ridiculous.
I was at Target buying diapers and allergy medicine. This woman cuts me off to get in the 10 items or less line ahead of me, then proceeds to play out the following scenario:
First, she hands a raincheck ticket to the guy and asks if it's for the item in the ad that's on sale. He scans it, and tells her what the name of the item is. She says, "Is that (x) from the ad?" He doesn't know and has no way of finding out, so he refers her to customer service, but she keeps asking anyway. Finally, he says he'll print her a raincheck and she can come back when the item is back in stock and compare it to the picture in the ad before she buys it if she wants. Fine, moving on.
Next she has a blouse that was on the 75% off clearance rack. But she says it doesn't come up on the scanner at 75% off. (She obviously scanned it at a price check kiosk earlier.) He scans it, and it comes up at $6.24. She says, "See?" So he looks at the tag and explains that its original price was $24.99. And she says, "Yeah, so it should be less than $6.24." He just sort of stared at her for a few seconds, and then said, "But...$6.24 is 25% of $24.99, so it's 75% off." And she says, "No it isn't."
At this point, there's about half a dozen people in the express line, and I'm starting to look around for other lanes. (There aren't any with fewer than 4 people in them, so I stay where I am. Mistake.) So he says, "Well, I can't change the price, I have to charge you what it rings up as." So she decides she doesn't want the blouse, and the cashier puts it to the side.
Next, she brings out three dresses. Two of them are black with rhinestones, and one of them is navy and plain. She shows him that the navy one is $6 and some change, and the black ones are marked $9. "But they're the same," she says, "So they should be the same price." He scans them both, and as the tags indicate, there is a $3 price difference. I don't know why she brought 2 black dresses and 1 navy one, but after making him scan all 3 twice each, she decides she's going with the black one. He rings it up. It's her only purchase. He totals it and she gets out her wallet.
Just before swiping her card, she changes her mind. CHANGES IT. Has the poor cashier cancel out the black dress and ring up the navy one. SIX DOLLARS. She swipes her card, and finally, FINALLY, she's done. I buy my five items in two minutes and as I leave the store, I can see her standing at the customer service counter with the navy dress and the black one she didn't buy, arguing with the customer service lady about the price.
Times is hard for people, but seriously -- who do you have to be to need a cocktail dress that costs not a cent more than $7 with tax? And if $3 is going to break you, shouldn't you be less picky about it?
Sheesh.