Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Making money from art is not vulgar. Art is a commodity. It makes people feel something. It raises the greater sum of human happiness. It increases the gaiety of the nation. It has a value. -John Allison

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: The get-together in that Chinese city  (Read 22833 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: The get-together in that Chinese city
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2008, 03:30:38 am »

No one actually likes grits.  Ive learned this. People pretend to like grits, but they don't actually "like" grits. Its all an elaborate act put on by people south of Maryland. I have yet to see someone put plain grits in their mouth and be like "yeah, this stuff is awesome".

Pedro likes grits.  Actually, actively, enjoys them.  Will order them in restaurants because I do not, will not, cook them at home. 

I think they're disgusting, but then, he visibly shudders when he sees me eat oatmeal, so, diff'rent strokes I guess. 

Also, I have been asked to review the official video game for the Beijing Olympics, so I guess I'd better start paying attention to stuff now. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The get-together in that Chinese city
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2008, 03:52:31 am »

Polenta!
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: The get-together in that Chinese city
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2008, 04:02:55 am »

Pedro likes grits.  Actually, actively, enjoys them. 
You're telling me the man just eats plain grits? With nothing on them? No butter or cheese or whatever?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: The get-together in that Chinese city
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2008, 01:27:10 pm »

He likes them with a little butter, maybe some salt, but otherwise unadorned. 

But his favorite is shrimp and grits, which is the ultimate in meals I will never ask to share with him, because I'm allergic to shellgiraffe and grits make me gag. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The get-together in that Chinese city
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2008, 01:58:21 pm »


I think they're disgusting, but then, he visibly shudders when he sees me eat oatmeal, so, diff'rent strokes I guess.   

I have only rarely had grits, but they seem perfectly normal to me.

Oatmeal, on the other hand - I eat it frequently, but if I were to stop and think about it, I might shudder too.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: The get-together in that Chinese city
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2008, 03:28:26 pm »

I tried grits once... I won't again. The texture is all wrong in the matter of being something I want to put in my mouth.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The get-together in that Chinese city
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2008, 04:37:18 pm »

I just don't like corn products. Grits, cornbread, corn dogs, corn tortillas, creamed corn. All unwelcome on my table. Although I cook with cornstarch are the frickin' time.

A quick dinner of very dry instant oatmeal with farmer's market raspberry jam is the only reason I even own a kettle.
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: The get-together in that Chinese city
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2008, 08:36:14 pm »

I just don't like corn products. Grits, cornbread, corn dogs, corn tortillas, creamed corn. All unwelcome on my table. Although I cook with cornstarch are the frickin' time.

A quick dinner of very dry instant oatmeal with farmer's market raspberry jam is the only reason I even own a kettle.

I'm the same way about potato products. Baked potato, mashed potato, any other kind of potato except french fries and potato chips, I'm not interested. I would make a terrible Russian.
Logged

Dexter

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 119
  • Some mothers should not be turned out.
    • View Profile
Re: The get-together in that Chinese city
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2008, 01:19:47 am »

MAY ALL YOUR SONS, AND THEIR SONS AFTER THEM, ON THEIR TWENTY-SIXTH BIRTHDAY, BECOME QUEEEEEEEER!
I think that only works if you're a king on his deathbed.  Of course, the "deathbed" part can be arranged if thou durst continue to besmirch the good name of grits.
Logged
Y'all don't know what it's like, bein' male, middle-class and white.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: The get-together in that Chinese city
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2008, 03:15:27 am »

I'm the same way about potato products. Baked potato, mashed potato, any other kind of potato except french fries and potato chips, I'm not interested. I would make a terrible Russian.

This. How can any of you go 'Mmmmm a great big bold of bland mealy starch!'?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: The get-together in that Chinese city
« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2008, 09:57:50 pm »

Poverty. It trained me good.

Just because I had shrimp and lobster off the grill this weekend doesn't mean I go back and besmirch the starch of life.

Poverty trained me that the extra two hot dogs after the buns are gone are for putting in the Ramen Noodles.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: The get-together in that Chinese city
« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2008, 10:37:08 pm »

Poverty has taught me I can go three days (or more? we will find out on this episode of job search: denver) without eating.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The get-together in that Chinese city
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2008, 04:52:10 pm »

OK, so the US softball team beat Japan twice in this year's tournament, including the semifinal game. Then the final was Japan over the US. Somebody please explain this?

Also, how the hell did the US women win the gold in soccer? Did the rest of the world forget to field teams? We're the US, we're supposed to be comically inept at soccer to the point that we don't even call it by the right name.
Logged

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: The get-together in that Chinese city
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2008, 05:07:44 pm »

Poverty has taught me I can go three days (or more? we will find out on this episode of job search: denver) without eating.

Poverty has taught me that dinner is just a social construct, a habit one can shed.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: The get-together in that Chinese city
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2008, 05:26:33 pm »

OK, so the US softball team beat Japan twice in this year's tournament, including the semifinal game. Then the final was Japan over the US. Somebody please explain this?

Also, how the hell did the US women win the gold in soccer? Did the rest of the world forget to field teams? We're the US, we're supposed to be comically inept at soccer to the point that we don't even call it by the right name.

Not 100% sure about softball, but I think they had pool play first (in which the US beat Japan), then the top teams from pool-play went into what was basically a double-elimination tournament.  So the US beat Japan in a semifinal, which sent Japan to the final of the losers' bracket, which they won.

As for soccer, we may be comically inept on the men's side, but one thing the US is REALLY good at compared to much of the rest of the world is developing female athletes.  Title IX actually did what it was supposed to do in that regard.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up