Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood Would The Pet Shop Boys be nice to have over for Thanksgiving, or would they be a pain in the ass? It's really hard to tell.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: The get-together in that Chinese city  (Read 22807 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: The get-together in that Chinese city
« Reply #75 on: August 25, 2008, 03:19:39 pm »

One thing from the closing ceremonies last night that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere:  the mayor of London looked like a complete goober. Ill-fitting suit, didn't know how to stand when he was waiting his turn to wave the Olympic flag.  Not that I'd do better, but you'd expect a guy like that to have handlers.  London's "presentation" was, on the whole, embarassing--Mrs. del Vaca and I were all "get back to the crazy Chinese stuff!"
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: The get-together in that Chinese city
« Reply #76 on: August 25, 2008, 03:47:05 pm »

The Mayor of London is a complete goober.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: The get-together in that Chinese city
« Reply #77 on: August 25, 2008, 04:01:04 pm »

One thing from the closing ceremonies last night that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere:  the mayor of London looked like a complete goober. Ill-fitting suit, didn't know how to stand when he was waiting his turn to wave the Olympic flag.  Not that I'd do better, but you'd expect a guy like that to have handlers.  London's "presentation" was, on the whole, embarassing--Mrs. del Vaca and I were all "get back to the crazy Chinese stuff!"
My take on it was England showing that they're not all about poshness and shaken vodka martinis.  Here's a regular shlub, lurching about and dwarfing the locals.  Oh, and he's the Mayor!
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: The get-together in that Chinese city
« Reply #78 on: August 25, 2008, 04:13:33 pm »

Oh, and he's the Mayor!

You can tell from the hot bloody fat on him.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: The get-together in that Chinese city
« Reply #79 on: August 25, 2008, 06:09:46 pm »

I think the London organizing committee needs to hire Chris Cunningham to do the opening and closing ceremonies for 2012.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The get-together in that Chinese city
« Reply #80 on: August 27, 2008, 04:44:18 am »

No one actually likes grits.  Ive learned this. People pretend to like grits, but they don't actually "like" grits. Its all an elaborate act put on by people south of Maryland. I have yet to see someone put plain grits in their mouth and be like "yeah, this stuff is awesome".

For your Edification
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: The get-together in that Chinese city
« Reply #81 on: August 27, 2008, 01:35:36 pm »

A little far afield of the Olympics, but:

I have have never lived in the south.

I loves me some grits.

With eggs, I like 'em with butter salt and pepper. I work a little egg in there from the sunny-side up eggs and they're awesome.


Alone, with sugar or brown sugar, cinnamon, maybe nutmeg.


Aug points out on the flickr thread the awesome and any meal deliciousness of cheese grits.

They really aren't very different from polenta (which is awesome too). Plus, I think we had this discussion once before although without photos from Paul.






Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The get-together in that Chinese city
« Reply #82 on: August 27, 2008, 01:42:03 pm »

Plus, I think we had this discussion once before although without photos from Paul.

Then it never actually happened. Paul's photos define reality.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The get-together in that Chinese city
« Reply #83 on: August 27, 2008, 08:12:09 pm »

If people keep bagging the mighty grit I'ma going off on tomatoes again. Nasty Stylezz, yo.

You know, you might be on to something.  I'll bet grits would be good with tomatoes.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The get-together in that Chinese city
« Reply #84 on: August 27, 2008, 08:27:12 pm »

See, that's what I want to see. A melding of delicious flavours and concepts.

[except for maybe the tomato part]

I have polenta on the shelf right now...

I hate polenta, but the SO makes some kind of baked/broiled polenta with black beans and chili powder (or southwest seasoning) that at least looks good.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: The get-together in that Chinese city
« Reply #85 on: August 27, 2008, 09:14:22 pm »

I just want to announce that I am with Ash on tomatoes being The Nasty. 

There's a reason God only made one food with that texture.  It makes it that much easier to avoid. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: The get-together in that Chinese city
« Reply #86 on: August 28, 2008, 02:12:18 am »

Growing up in Ohio, I never had grits except once, at a WaHo on the road trip the family took to Florida. No, we didn't go to Disneyworld, we went to my grandma's trailer park. They told us it was Disneyworld, of course. Naturally I detested them for my whole life until...

Once at a restaurant with the now-missus, I ordered a piece of giraffe that was served with grits. It was a good restaurant, and I was looking forward to the giraffe, it may have been trout. The grits were AMAZING. They had been cooked just perfectly, with some corn and cheese added in to improve the texture. Since then I've been all about the shrimp&grits (which require barbecue sauce) and while I like grits with breakfast on occasion, I much prefer to try to reproduce that side dish. I've never quite gotten it but I've come close a couple times.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: The get-together in that Chinese city
« Reply #87 on: August 28, 2008, 02:39:43 am »

Raw tomatoes are disgusting. 

That is all.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: The get-together in that Chinese city
« Reply #88 on: August 28, 2008, 03:12:04 am »

Tomatoes are delicious. I can eat cherry tomatoes by the punnet or just cut a big  one up and eat it like an orange.

You're all terrible.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The get-together in that Chinese city
« Reply #89 on: August 28, 2008, 03:28:45 am »

Finally someone gets my back.  Thanks Doc.  Tomatoes go well with tiny cans of Dr Pepper.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up