Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

How Does He Smell?

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Writer's Workshop?  (Read 8021 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Writer's Workshop?
« on: August 18, 2008, 04:14:02 pm »

Is there any interest in me creating a private forum to serve as a virtual writer's workshop?  Since there are so many of us who are writing for fun and profit around here, it seems natural to have a place where we can discuss our work without bothering anyone else or having half-finished essays out where anybody can see and poke at them.  I'd love to read a scene from smells' newest play or a chapter from LFM's book, for example, or an anthropology paper inev's been working on, but I'd also love being able to say, "Here's an article I wrote, how can I improve it before I pitch it to the Washington Post?" and get the kind of well thought-out constructive criticism that you guys are so good at generating. 

Anybody else up for it?  I think four is enough to make it worthwhile, but the more the merrier. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Writer's Workshop?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 04:53:02 pm »

I'd be happy to critique other people's stuff, it beats working.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Writer's Workshop?
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 04:53:58 pm »

Can we do poetry or song lyrics or whatever?  I would be in if so.  I mean, if I can be.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Writer's Workshop?
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 05:04:00 pm »

Anything!  Anything, anything. 

Awesome. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Writer's Workshop?
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 06:10:34 pm »

I would totally be into this. I would want to post my short story that I wrote as my final project in my fiction class... because I can tell it still has a lot of issues, and I know that parts of it blow, but my professor never sent me his final comments.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Writer's Workshop?
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 02:02:09 am »

When I'm more comfortable with what I'm doing with the book... a few things have gone weird in my life and slowed a dude up on the idea of transcribing notepages into doc-files... I would love to participate in such an endeavour.

And I'd give honest feedback to whoever wanted any.

I'd deifinitely be down.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Writer's Workshop?
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 02:23:44 am »

I'd be down, although my stuff's weird and very, very few people really like it.

I'm fine with that.

I'd be happy to give some feedback on others' work, though.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Writer's Workshop?
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 02:33:10 am »

I am okay with being a part of something like this.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Writer's Workshop?
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 02:42:15 am »

also I just wrote it all down and I have 9 songs that I have written, but only one has lyrics. So really what I have is 9 outlines of songs that I need to put lyrics on. I am working on this.
it was fun trying to make a list of songs when I cannot name them.
they ended up with names like... "that one that is actually exactly the same as down by the river, by accident" and "the one with the cmaj7/G."
Also I ended up giving some of them depressing names like "the one that sounds like modest penis" even though I don't like modest penis, etc.

On some level I am kind of proud of myself that every time I start playing guitar, I end up accidentally playing a song.
"oh, oops. that's "Slow Ride." Dang."
But it gets frustrating.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Writer's Workshop?
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 04:54:50 am »

I'd be interested in this, mainly to read what you talented folks have got going but I might have something coming up soon where I'd be interested in getting feedback from you guys as well.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Writer's Workshop?
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 05:04:15 am »

I am going to a script workshop all next week.  One where I am the only writer, and there are directors, a dramaturge, actors, set and costume designers and such.  I'm looking forward to the work, but not looking forward to being away from home during such a critical time in my life.  It is entirely exhausting to do table readings all day, write all night, sleep in my never-feels-right hotel bed, then do it all again for a week straight.  After that I am in heavy rewrites/dramaturgy until production time in November.  I don't forsee myself doing any other writing in between, or wanting to bring the office home (even though they're already the same damn place as it is).  At least not right now.  

After December I am looking to take a break from playwriting, focus on directing and getting my own theatre company running, and also to return to poetry and possibly tackle my first Novel.  I would love to take part then.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Writer's Workshop?
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 06:42:17 am »

Ah, workshopping... I'm so sorry, ss.

I have a tendency to fight off suggestions I don't like with the most ridiculous counteridea I can possibly come up with and...

What sucks is when people love those ideas.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Writer's Workshop?
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 05:29:02 pm »

I want to opine!

Won't be contributing none, because all written in Portuguese, though. But I'm trying to finish a hahaha novel, so who knows, at a certain point ahead I might translate one chapter to put there (if not for literary value, at least for unintended translation humor).
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 05:33:08 pm by dejavroom »
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Writer's Workshop?
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 10:08:27 pm »

So like, how would this work?  I think it would be way sweeter if we were in like private groups of 4 or 5 since there is so much interest.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Writer's Workshop?
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 11:47:19 pm »

Gimmie a day.  I'm getting it set up. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up