All I'm really saying is that religion's a mechanism that functions to turn our essential search for meaning into THE convenient means of social control.
In a much larger world that knew a lot less, such social control was a far more necessary evil.
Sometimes it was quite needed.
These days, in this set of situations, it is a crutch that prevents a healed leg from being walked upon, at best...
And at worst and far more often, the sole and self-fulfilling remaining underpinning of tyranny.
At this stage culturally, instead of disseminating knowledge to people who can't process it in full, religion suppresses knowledge to sustain the power structure that was formed out of it.
I'm not saying, of course, that we are beyond our own personal reckonings with divinity.
I genuinely hope (though largely doubt) that there is Something in charge above this level of understanding, that I might someday wrestle with it and get some fuck*ng explanations for the way things are and a full accounting on Its sins against the human race as opposed to the other way around... I shake in anticipation of such an encounter.
I would have words with this heartless bastard as it tore me to atoms and rags.
But on a cultural scale, on a world scale now that we are a world as a race whether we want to admit it or not, churches priests organized mass faith... it's a pyramid scheme by confidence men and lunatics to fulfill their agendae... social, economic, sexual, whatever. We know that the stars aren't pinpricks in the blanket Odin throws over the goddamned sun at night, we know that these are fusion reactions from before there were people just getting to our eyes.
And that's more beautiful by ten thousand than some one-eyed warlock and a secondhand bedspread.
Organized faith is just a skeleton for unessential power structures to hang their little cloak-and-dagger three-card-monte schemes upon.
We seek intercourse with divinity and end up rolled by leering pimps before the faintest glimpse of a transaction.