So she teaches kids but she's not remotely in touch with what they're into? That sounds challenging.
Totally. She used to use me and my friends to help her with that stuff. Like one year she wanted to draw a Power Ranger on the class rules sign, but didn't know which one was the leader or even which ones were male. I was already about 6 years too old for Power Rangers but had seen enough ads to know it was the red one. Now I'm way too old to help her with that kind of stuff so she's on her own.
With the music I think it's also a function of her being terrified of playing something inappropriate. And for some reason she thinks any songs written before the 80's are automatically clean. While previewing some songs several times my dad and I had to point out why songs she was considering wouldn't be good. This involved us explaining to her why such phrases as "down on a muff", "contact high", and "puff the magic dragon" should not be used in a school setting. Well, that last one you could probably get away with.
I'm a little hesitant of using the Disney stuff. I wouldn't know myself but I've heard from coworkers with kids that Hannah Montana is on the way out and would just make the boys cover their ears and complain. And I really don't want to go through this again halfway through the year because the kids have decided the Jonas Brothers or whatever aren't cool anymore. I think using songs they aren't already barraged with would actually be better, since they're less likely to get tired of them. But then I know crap about children.
Over e-mail I've at least gotten her to consider some stuff from TMBG's kids album. She likes Clap Your Hands.
I realize that everybody else on the forum is thinking, "jesus, is he still talking about this?" But I've spent 2-3 hours a day since Saturday on the phone with my mom playing songs and looking up lyrics. I'm pretty tired of the whole thing.