Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

So now we know who reads the News Box.  Hello Jaydub.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The Great Outdoor Fight  (Read 3866 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
The Great Outdoor Fight
« on: August 26, 2008, 11:21:25 pm »

My copy of The Great Outdoor Fight just arrived from Amazon.  I haven't had a chance to delve too deeply into it, but it looks great.  From the two new panels kicking the story off to Ray amazing Uncle George with his dancing prowess, it's ten pounds of awesome in a five-pound bag. 

Watch your mailboxes, folks. 
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Outdoor Fight
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 03:27:47 am »

Dammit, mine was available for delivery today but isn't scheduled until tomorrow so UPS sat on it like big ol' jerky-jerks
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Outdoor Fight
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 04:58:07 pm »

OK, I got mine and I've read most of it. I was all the way to the Jeeps before it dawned on me that there's not alt-text. I always thought it was a strange decision to omit it from the regular books but I guess it makes more sense for GOF.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Outdoor Fight
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 06:27:20 pm »

Its there - you need to hover your gaze over the picture and see it in your mind's eye.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Outdoor Fight
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 12:29:34 am »

Ooh, a sailboat!
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Outdoor Fight
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 01:23:41 am »

Now that I've got my book, I remember that I don't really care that much about the Great Outdoor Fight except theoretically, that I'm impressed that he made it all up. But it is a nice touch that he managed to work some recipes in.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Outdoor Fight
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 02:38:40 am »

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Outdoor Fight
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 03:35:01 am »

I like how he has the 5 champions prior to Ray all having lame Texas names. It really plays up the now-faceless cowboy that ray whips the ass of before the feast.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: The Great Outdoor Fight
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2008, 12:46:43 am »

I got mine on Monday.  Good stuff.

Yeah, I found myself intoning "There are no side dishes." when reading one of the panels.  Would've made for good end-notes.  Sometimes the strips aren't that funny, but the alt-text brings teh funny.

I forgot how great that storyline was, though.  Lots of good stuff in just about each strip.  Pretty badass.

I'd buy a Risotto Wars book, especially if it had really great risotto recipes in it.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: The Great Outdoor Fight
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2008, 01:51:26 pm »

I got mine on Monday.  Good stuff.

Yeah, I found myself intoning "There are no side dishes." when reading one of the panels.  Would've made for good end-notes.  Sometimes the strips aren't that funny, but the alt-text brings teh funny.

I forgot how great that storyline was, though.  Lots of good stuff in just about each strip.  Pretty badass.

I'd buy a Risotto Wars book, especially if it had really great risotto recipes in it.


I would not buy the Sandwich Wars book.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Outdoor Fight
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2008, 02:27:20 pm »

I would not buy the Sandwich Wars book.

Me either.

I don't blame Onstad for his reaction, because lord knows if The New Yorker showed the slightest bit of interest in my work I'd probably shit my #####.  But it's not his best stuff, by far.

 
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Outdoor Fight
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2008, 06:03:39 pm »

OK, I got mine and I've read most of it. I was all the way to the Jeeps before it dawned on me that there's not alt-text. I always thought it was a strange decision to omit it from the regular books but I guess it makes more sense for GOF.

I'm going to have to pencil in "Probably a good idea to dust off a couple Polish before the big round" in my copy because that's one of my favourite alt-texts ever.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Outdoor Fight
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2008, 06:14:45 pm »

It was the middle Jeep doing a wheelie that I missed. For some reason I distinctly remember that alt-text
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Outdoor Fight
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2008, 06:39:54 pm »

I don't blame Onstad for his reaction, because lord knows if The New Yorker showed the sightest bit of interest in my work I'd probably shit my ******.  But it's not his best stuff, by far.


Oh well, he is giving them what they want. He is a pro.

I don't like it much either but I'm not signing the check. Assuming there is a check.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Outdoor Fight
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2008, 07:57:56 pm »

OK, hella apologies to the Great Outdoor Fight. I forgot how many good parts there are. The Thomas Edison of handing a guy his ass. Beef using his computer skills to hack his way in and look up a fighter's credit scores to find his weakness. And I've hardly started.

I admit, I think of this as one of those Guy Things in the strip, starting with fake nutsacks - this just seems so unfortunate as a way for the whole thing to begin - and being about fighting and guys' obsessions with sports.  But like all great art, the point is not the plot, it is all in the execution.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up