Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wine: Keep a red and a white on hand at all times. When choosing wines on the wine aisle, use this simple rhyme to make your selection: “Closer to the floor, is meant for the poor / closer to the lights, is more like for if Bono comes over.” -=RAY=-

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What dumb thing am I doing, and how do I fix it?  (Read 6854 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
What dumb thing am I doing, and how do I fix it?
« on: September 30, 2008, 11:42:11 pm »

Our apartment has a dishwasher. I have been washing dishes, and using a dishwasher, since I was a kid. I learned to scrape off every little bit of food, because otherwise it gets stuck to the plate. So that is what I do here.
And yet for the third time in a row, our dishes have come out crusted with food that won't come off. This is the third time I am going to have to re-wash our dishes by hand because they are crusted in food. Nasty.

Can you think of something dumb I could be doing to cause this? Can you think of something that could be wrong with our dishwasher that would cause this? I can handle having to wash everything by hand, but... I'd rather not.

It doesn't help that for some reason the water pressure to our sink is for shit. I have tried adjusting the knobs under the sink, and that actually somehow made it worse.

wait: are these two things related? it occurs to me that, yes, they probably are.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 11:46:55 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: What dumb thing am I doing, and how do I fix it?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 11:54:04 pm »

That or are the jets clogged up with food by those less conscientious than yourself/previous owners?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What dumb thing am I doing, and how do I fix it?
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 11:56:14 pm »

No doubt those two things are indeed related. You have a landlord you can call, I hope?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: What dumb thing am I doing, and how do I fix it?
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 12:17:41 am »

Three suggestions:

1) Re-adjust the knobs under the sink -- you probably turned them more off rather than more on, which is an easy mistake to make.  Have the water on when you're doing it.

2) Take the bottom rack out and stick your head in the dishwasher.  Look at the arm/spinner thing and see if anything is clogging up the little holes.  Also check below it -- there should be a screen where water drains out.  Make sure nothing is clogging that up.

3)  Get a gallon jug of white vinegar.  Pour it into the dishwasher and run a regular cycle, without soap.  If mineral deposits are clogging the works, this should dissolve them.  This is also a good thing to do if you leave dirty dishes in there too long and things get stinky.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What dumb thing am I doing, and how do I fix it?
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 12:56:59 am »

OH
OH

there is this thing in the bottom rack. I have been putting dishes over it.

It was the hole this weird sprayer-thing projects through. Either this is a weird dishwasher, or I have never looked very closely at the insides of a dishwasher.

So as of right now I am assuming that this was the problem. Dishes were blocking the little telescoping/spinning tower.

Good call on putting my head inside of it, August. Also, I have tried turning the knobs under the sink in different directions, and it is at the max right now.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: What dumb thing am I doing, and how do I fix it?
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 01:37:35 am »

you might want to back those knobs off the max to save a little money on your water bill

unless your water is included in your rent, which i've heard of. if that's the case have a ball
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: What dumb thing am I doing, and how do I fix it?
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 01:46:13 am »

Good call on putting my head inside of it, August. Also, I have tried turning the knobs under the sink in different directions, and it is at the max right now.

Taking a good look at the problem is always a pretty decent place to start.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What dumb thing am I doing, and how do I fix it?
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 02:16:52 am »

*to clarify, the knobs were already at the max. The faucet/pipes/something is just messed up. I will tolerate this for too much longer, and then request for it to be fixed.

Also, utilities are included in our rent, but it's so much higher than it should be that it doesn't save us money at all. (school owned housing)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: What dumb thing am I doing, and how do I fix it?
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 02:29:26 am »

These are also great ways to figure out a lady.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What dumb thing am I doing, and how do I fix it?
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 02:36:38 am »

OK, the most active thread all day is about a broken dishwasher. If we can get this much out of a broken dishwasher why isn't anything going on anywhere else on the board?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: What dumb thing am I doing, and how do I fix it?
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 03:11:41 pm »

Quote from: Onstad
New triple-size strip Tuesday evening Wednesday noon.

New strips bring the traffic mostly, in my opinion.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: What dumb thing am I doing, and how do I fix it?
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2008, 07:54:03 pm »

Quote from: onstad
...some promise of content...

New strips bring the traffic mostly, in my opinion.

4 PM Wednesday. I'll believe it when I see it.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What dumb thing am I doing, and how do I fix it?
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 10:14:16 pm »

only the sink has the problem. the guys upstairs said they had a similar problem and they got it fixed, I just want to make sure there isn't any simple thing I can do myself to fix it. I'm going to try again twisting the knobs while the water is running to make sure I wasn't missing anything due to frustration yesterday.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: What dumb thing am I doing, and how do I fix it?
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2008, 03:35:34 am »

...peeing down the LL's back just like you already plan.

Maybe he's into this sort of thing?
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: What dumb thing am I doing, and how do I fix it?
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2008, 03:41:34 pm »

Maybe while you have your head in the dishwasher, he can give you a commodore.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up