Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Chris waited all day for the Comcast repair guy, and he never showed up. What is he supposed to do with this cream pie?

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Apples (not the computer)  (Read 6394 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Apples (not the computer)
« on: October 06, 2008, 06:10:42 pm »



We went out to an orchard near the VA-WV line yesterday, and got thirty pounds of apples for nine bucks.

Combine that with the other five pounds or so the in-laws gave us, and we have a friggin' crapload of apples on the counter.

I am running the dehydrator.  Next weekend I expect to make applesauce.  And of course, there will be pies. But I welcome other suggestions.

We got pumpkins, too.


Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Apples (not the computer)
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 07:48:45 pm »

And of course, there will be pies.

Music
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Apples (not the computer)
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 07:49:10 pm »

Now I've got a wicked craving for apple crisp.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Apples (not the computer)
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 07:50:34 pm »

thirty pounds of apples for nine bucks.
Where is the bailout for the apple market?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Apples (not the computer)
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 09:11:38 pm »

Chunk them apples up some and use them in a sausage apple frittata.

WOULD YOU LIKE SOME FRITTATA

That sounds pretty good, actually.  I had been thinking about frittata as we have like two dozen eggs in the fridge.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Apples (not the computer)
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 09:47:01 pm »

Damn, I've been paying $1.99 a pound like a chump.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Apples (not the computer)
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 10:00:08 pm »

And I thought I got a good deal at .98
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Apples (not the computer)
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 10:22:22 pm »

Any apple grower worth his salt should have a cider press you can use.

Ferment and enjoy!
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Apples (not the computer)
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2008, 11:07:29 pm »

So wait... are those stock photos of apples and pumpkins, or is that what you're staring down?

I want to like apples, really, I do. But I can't. I don't even try to like pumpkins.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Apples (not the computer)
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 01:47:40 am »

So wait... are those stock photos of apples and pumpkins, or is that what you're staring down?

Those are Carlos del Vaca original photos, but that's a bin at the orchard, and a crowd of pumpkins during the harvesting activity.  I didn't take all those home.

There's a DC-area food blog I subscribe to that just had a call for writers (they have been a little thin on content lately).  I wrote a piece on my apple expedition... and they rejected it.  Go... figure.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Apples (not the computer)
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 02:10:10 am »

Well I was going to ask what blog, because I would like to read a good DC food blog. But if they don't care about your apples, can they be any good?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Apples (not the computer)
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 02:29:42 am »

It's http://dcfud.smorgasblog.com/
I don't want to be all "I didn't want to write for your crappy blog anyway!", but it's got me scratching my head a little bit. 
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Apples (not the computer)
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2008, 03:43:12 am »

Oh by the way, when I got home from work today, guess what Mrs. del Vaca had in the oven?
Hint:  three letters, starts with a p, ends with an e, has an i in between.  And apples in it.
How I love that woman.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Apples (not the computer)
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2008, 06:11:31 am »

So wait... are those stock photos of apples and pumpkins, or is that what you're staring down?

I want to like apples, really, I do. But I can't. I don't even try to like pumpkins.

I have no idea what you are doing with pumpkins?  Seeds?  Is there some pumpkin food that I'm not privy to.

Also, could we get a pick of your apples?  I kind of want to see what 35 pounds of apples looks like.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Apples (not the computer)
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2008, 02:17:26 pm »

Most of the pumpkins (the big round bright orange classic style) will be either given to our kids' schools, or carved into jack-o-lanterns and put on our front porch, to be smashed by teenagers late in the night on October 31.  I may also roast the seeds from those, but that always seems to be better in theory than in practice.

I have a couple that look more like the pale ones in the fourth row from the left in this picture.  They are better suited for cooking.  I could roast one and make a from-scratch pumpkin pie out of it.  However, I may just peel and chop, and cook like any other squash, say in this R I S O T T O recipe.

I'll try to take a picture of the mountain of apples tonight.  We've probably used a good five pounds of them already.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up