They listen to pop instead of Iggy Pop, and the only song they know of the latter is "Lust for Life," and not because it was in Trainspotting but because it's the soundtrack for a Disney Cruises tv advert (although they leave out the "liquor and drugs" line).
Before you make generalizations about my generation....
I started screaming at the TV when I first (and subsequently) saw that spot. "It's Iggy! Those lyrics are from William Burroughs! And now it's endorsing Disney! Aaugh!"
So I'm not really in agreement with making these broad judgements, though god knows I spend enough time decrying my peers for being utter fuck*ng vapid wastes of skin, especially as far as taste in music is concerned. I consider myself a music geek, I listen to obscure indie as a point of pride, and I like to know things (namely, everything) about what I listen to, I constantly try to find music to listen to that I've never heard of, and generally I have attitudes towards music that are, I've observed, fairly unusual for my age.
So while there is a huge repulsive mass of morons listening to their simple simple moron music, there's also, even at my small-town high school, some musical diversity. Mind you, the only people I really communicate with are the subcultural types, but there's a cello-genius prog rocker, some metal-listening guys, a few classical guitarists, two indie rockers, some fairly convincing punks, and a fairly large subset of people who listen to obscure techno/trance.
At the risk of writing the longest post ever (it's already my longest), I very much agree with the majority of you regarding punk... I find it utterly perplexing what's called punk these days and it wouldn't be entirely out of character for me to rail bitterly about what the hell is this crap and why are they listening to this when there's Stiff Little Fingers, the Buzzcocks, the X-Ray Spex, and tonnes of other rad genuine punk kicking around.
-fin-