Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Sssshhh...I'm discovering Sleater-Kinney. This is a special time in a boy's life.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: World Series 2008  (Read 4595 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
World Series 2008
« on: October 22, 2008, 08:21:53 pm »

http://www.thegoodphight.com/2008/10/22/640585/do-it-for-steve-fellas

Blah blah blah boring World Series because it doesn't have the Red Sox or a New York team in it.

hossshit.  These are two great teams, and it has the potential to be an awesome series.

Nats be damned, I was raised a Phillies fan.  Ryan Howard is gonna hit three count 'em three home runs in this mofo.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: World Series 2008
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 08:29:29 pm »

It's still baseball season?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: World Series 2008
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 10:24:38 pm »

Fuck the Phillies. Fuck them right in the face.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: World Series 2008
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 03:42:48 am »

As a person who carries the torch for young-talent-over-aging-former-stars on basically every Mets message board extant, I have to pull for the Rays.

It is a thing.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: World Series 2008
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 03:45:52 am »

Anything to beat the fuck*ng phillies. I hope they all die of cancer of eyes.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: World Series 2008
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 06:12:18 am »

Basically I dunno why everyone hates the Phillies but as far as I'm concerned the Devil Rays, not having existed during my short span of time buying baseball cards, are an imaginary team.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: World Series 2008
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 01:02:42 pm »

I never bought baseball cards but I second Ben's position on this. And they're not even a good imaginary team - when I looked them up, I found that they don't even bother to have an animal on their merchandise. Why be called Rays if you're not going to have a ray on your logo?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: World Series 2008
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 01:22:06 pm »

Basically I dunno why everyone hates the Phillies but as far as I'm concerned the Devil Rays, not having existed during my short span of time buying baseball cards, are an imaginary team.

For me it's because of the Mets, and I'm guessing for most people here that hate them it's because of the Mets, right?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: World Series 2008
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 03:48:31 pm »

As a Mets fan, though, I hate the Braves and the Yankees a LOT more than the Phillies.

The Braves and the Yankees are ridiculous bullies... the Phillies are more like your uncle who came back from 'Nam not-quite-right... yeah, he can be annoying at times but you pity him his madness more than anything. Philly fans didn't ask to be born in a place that would figure out how to hate Mike freaking Schmidt, after all.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: World Series 2008
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 04:11:05 pm »

As a Mets fan, though, I hate the Braves and the Yankees a LOT more than the Phillies.

YES! But this year, seeing the Phillies in the World Series sure smarts a bit.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: World Series 2008
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 07:23:10 pm »

Fuck all y'all Philly-haters.  WHY CAN'T US?

The pitch Joe Carter hit for the home run wasn't actually a bad pitch.  It was just that the slider was the only pitch Mitch seemed to be able to throw for a strike that night.  So when Carter knew Mitch had to throw one over the plate, he knew to look for that pitch and where it would likely come in.  And he got it, and as most big-league hitters do under circumstances where they know what's coming, he hit it far.  (See also the Matt Stairs home run in game 4 vs. LA--textbook.)

That was perhaps the single worst moment of my sports fanhood, worse even than seeing the Red Wings finish off the sweep of the Caps for the Stanley Cup in person at the MCI Center.  I lived in Albuqueruqe at the time, and my friends were making fun of my tremendous angst and passion for the game.  Then Carter hit the home run, and nobody said a fuck*ng word to me (because they knew I'd rip their heads off).


Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: World Series 2008
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008, 07:07:37 am »

I am a fan of the younger team too.

Plus, fuck philly.


Joe Carter is from my hometown and once my baseball team met him at a hotel we were staying at in Arlington (Dallas).  We played pool baseball and I still have a picture of my whole baseball team and Joe Carter.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: World Series 2008
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2008, 01:49:55 am »

Blah de blah the Phillies are 2 for 87 with runners in scoring position.  And yet they're winning this game and the Series at this point.  Shut up Joe and Tim.

And as I'm typing this, Ryan Howard just hit a three-run dong.  WHOOOOOOOOOOOOO SUCK ON IT MCCARVER

WAIT WAIT THERE'S MORE!  Joe Blanton, the Phillies' pitcher, who played his entire career in the American League until coming over to the Phillies mid-season this year, just hit the first home run by a pitcher in the World Series since 1974.

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I say WHOOOOOOOOOOOO
and furthermore WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOO!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 02:10:25 am by carlosdelvaca »
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: World Series 2008
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2008, 11:13:19 pm »

Yeah, I looked up from my YouTube and saw that the pitcher had hit a home run, and quietly gave up on baseball being a force for good this year.

President McCain. The World Champion Philadelphia Phillies. Nary a difference. Nary a difference.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: World Series 2008
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2008, 09:19:42 pm »

The World Series is all kinds of hosed up right now.

If this mofo gets backed up one more day (and it's supposed to snow in Philly tomorrow, so it might), that would mean the Phils could bring back Hamels on his regular rest to pitch game 7, should it be necessary.  Obviously I'd much rather they finish it off whenever they get around to finishing last night's game, but if anything good has come out of this weather debacle, that's it.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up