Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I once had the idea that, if only for a moment each night, everyone in the world was asleep at the same time. It made the world manageable.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Watchmen Movie Thread  (Read 19175 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The Watchmen Movie Thread
« Reply #90 on: April 08, 2009, 03:05:02 am »

Re:  Midnight Cowboy, that movie is FUCKED UP. How did that win best picture? I can't imagine an America where that happened.

I'm sure you meant to say "Midnight Cowboy is one of the greatest movies ever made."  I am certain of this.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: The Watchmen Movie Thread
« Reply #91 on: April 08, 2009, 03:26:04 am »

Also: Midnight Cowboy, that movie is FUCKED UP. How did that win best picture? I can't imagine an america where that happened.

I'm certainly intrigued. But netflix doesn't have it. Is it even on DVD?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Watchmen Movie Thread
« Reply #92 on: April 08, 2009, 04:14:47 am »

Quote
I'm sure you meant to say "Midnight Cowboy is one of the greatest movies ever made."  I am certain of this.

oh, yeah. I'm not saying that it wasn't really good. I saw that it was about NYC in the late 60s, read the description, and thought it would be... freakily gritty.
You know, gritty like Taxi Driver.
Not like... flashbacks to anal gang-rape.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: The Watchmen Movie Thread
« Reply #93 on: April 08, 2009, 04:32:22 am »

I... I thought it was about a cowboy. Now I'm just scared.
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: The Watchmen Movie Thread
« Reply #94 on: April 08, 2009, 05:01:30 am »

Oh, wow. I've heard of this movie before but never understood why it was so revered because it sounded like Dan said, Taxi Driver with Dustin Hoffman and rinestones. Might have to check it out now.
On a related note did anyone see Mysterious Skin a few years ago? That was so great and not at all what I expected it to be.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The Watchmen Movie Thread
« Reply #95 on: April 08, 2009, 05:03:31 am »

At the deli/pizza-shop/convenience-store/video-store in Little Falls, Midnight Cowboy was filed under Westerns.

I can't explain where I grew up much more than that.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: The Watchmen Movie Thread
« Reply #96 on: April 08, 2009, 12:32:24 pm »

They were just ahead of their time. "Brokeback Mountain" made that ok.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: The Watchmen Movie Thread
« Reply #97 on: February 05, 2010, 01:00:40 pm »

Now it seems they'll make sequels & prequels & spin offs & reboots & retcons out of the original series. [apathetic quip]
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up