Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that the best way to sound like a noob here is to ask what the Tiny Cans of Dr. Pepper are about?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Who Throws a Shoe?  (Read 11977 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Who Throws a Shoe?
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2008, 05:00:32 am »

Only time I saw Nine Inch Nails, the concert was called off two-thirds of the way in.

I have a friend who claims he hit Trent Reznor square in the chest with a copy of Catcher in the Rye. I call bullshit, but I'm pretty certain he actually threw it.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Who Throws a Shoe?
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2008, 06:00:09 am »

On topic: Slate's Explainer on the issue of show throwing.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Who Throws a Shoe?
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2008, 06:37:17 am »

Quote from: miles
I have a friend who claims he hit Trent Reznor square in the chest with a copy of Catcher in the Rye.

...why?

I mean, you throw stuff at rock stars, that part I understand.

But why "Catcher in the Rye"? Some kind of complex statement about John Lennon or "Field of Dreams" or... just the only book at hand?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Who Throws a Shoe?
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2008, 07:01:31 am »

Quote
I mean, you throw stuff at rock stars, that part I understand.

Wait, really? People do this?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Who Throws a Shoe?
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2008, 07:13:25 am »

Nearly every concert I've ever been to that is of Loud Music, many assholes in the crowd decide that it is rad and edgy to throw stuff at the performers, because hurting each other and being violent is Metal. I dunno. People also slamdance until they bleed out the mouth at such shows and big guys like me can only serve as human walls between them and... like... the younger people and small women and such who they could accidentally seriously hurt without us blocking them off.

It's not logical, of course, but it is a thing and is understood as a thing.

But "Catcher In The Rye" seems a lot more specific than general Throwing Stuff Is Metal idiocy.

The only Loud Music concerts I've been to where nothing was thrown? Both Guns N Roses shows.

Axl's love of leaving at the drop of a hat scared the hell out of them, not wanting to give him an excuse to leave, I guess.

That dude is just two steps ahead, I tell ya.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Who Throws a Shoe?
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2008, 07:45:50 am »

We were 15. It was probably marijuana that made him do it.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Who Throws a Shoe?
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2008, 07:56:24 am »

Marijuana makes a dude throw THE young-adult novel of disaffection... the Harry Potter of young Roast Beef-to-bes... and the central conceit in the CIA's cover story for why their sleeper agent was "motivated" to murder John Lennon at a rock star? I dunno. That's much more powerful weed than I'VE ever encountered.

What was it? That long rumoured Vancouver Symbolic?

I mean, seriously. Ask the dude why that book specifically, if you get the chance.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Who Throws a Shoe?
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2008, 08:07:22 am »

What was it? That long rumoured Vancouver Symbolic?

Awesome.

I'll ask him. We're still in touch.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Who Throws a Shoe?
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2008, 10:24:37 am »

I remember when we went to concerts to listen to music.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Who Throws a Shoe?
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2008, 10:54:27 am »

I've never thrown a shoe at a concert.  That would be fuck*ng stupid.  One time Supergrass threw me a drum stick, but I think I've already said that.  Paul, you were there (but not then, part of the reason the threw the stick).
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Who Throws a Shoe?
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2008, 11:03:02 am »

You're talking about when they opened for Radiohead?  I missed Supergrass due to lateness.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: Who Throws a Shoe?
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2008, 11:05:11 am »

The last time anyone threw anything when I was at a gig it was a festive reindeer-antler headband for the oboe player to wear while he performed a special dance for the amusement of all.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Who Throws a Shoe?
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2008, 02:36:45 pm »

At Barenaked Ladies concerts people used to always through mac and cheese (Kraft dinner) at the stage. Now they set up food bank donation boxes on by the ticket takers and kick out anybody caught with boxes of it beyond that point.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Who Throws a Shoe?
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2008, 03:16:38 pm »

It is one thing to throw soft things like underwear, or the stuffed animals they throw at figure skaters, but it seems stupid to throw hard objects at people to show you admire them. 

Was it considered gauche to throw brands of mac and cheese other than Kraft at a Bare Naked Ladies concert?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Who Throws a Shoe?
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2008, 03:21:51 pm »

It is one thing to throw soft things like underwear, or the stuffed animals they throw at figure skaters, but it seems stupid to throw hard objects at people to show you admire them. 

Was it considered gauche to throw brands of mac and cheese other than Kraft at a Bare Naked Ladies concert?

Good question. Maybe in Canada all instant mac & cheese is called Kraft dinner. Like in parts of the south all sodas are called Coke even if it's like diet grape store brand.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up