Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TOUAMB: Debating the decline and fall of Chris Onstad since 2003.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Inauguration is Historic  (Read 14713 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Inauguration is Historic
« on: January 19, 2009, 06:13:27 pm »

Umm, I don't really have anything to say about it, but I'm hoping you all will. 
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Inauguration is Historic
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 06:22:41 pm »

I don't know, it's kind of too much, you know. On the one hand, I get it and all the hoopla and everything, but on the other I don't. Like if we need to make this big a deal about a charismatic light-skinned moderate-left black man raised by (mostly) white people we might maybe still have a problem that we're trying to compensate for? Maybe?

Not that I won't be watching it on tv or anything, but, you know.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Inauguration is Historic
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 06:26:43 pm »

I am curious to hear from Inev how his trip is going.  From what I've read of the concerts and stuff on the DC area blogs, if you're able to cope with the logistical issues (getting into the city, getting there early enough to get a seat, staying warm, having food and drink and bathroom available since you got there so damn early and have to hang around for a couple hours), it's actually been a good time.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Inauguration is Historic
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 06:31:22 pm »

Pictures will be demanded.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Inauguration is Historic
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 06:44:32 pm »

I am curious to hear from Inev how his trip is going.  From what I've read of the concerts and stuff on the DC area blogs, if you're able to cope with the logistical issues (getting into the city, getting there early enough to get a seat, staying warm, having food and drink and bathroom available since you got there so damn early and have to hang around for a couple hours), it's actually been a good time.

The SO went into the city for dinner and drinks last night. She said the inbound metro was deserted but once she hit Foggy Bottom it was crammed from then on. Apparently the residents were super easy to spot, as they weren't checking the map after every single stop.

Oh, and when she flew into Nat'l they could see the crowds at the concert from the plane. I think Tom Hanks was speaking when they flew over.

Inaugurations strike me as a lot like the fireworks. If you live here you feel obligated to go once, even though it's not really that fun.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Inauguration is Historic
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 07:19:23 pm »

You have no idea how historic!

Quote
WASHINGTON, Associated Press – To Conrad Harrell of port-a-potty toilet supplier Don's Johns, Tuesday's inauguration of Barack Obama will be historic, but not in the way you might think.

"This is the largest temporary restroom event in the history of the United States," he said.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Inauguration is Historic
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 10:13:23 pm »

I think that a lot of this is actually "HOLY SHIT, WE GOT RID OF BUSH, THAT'S AWESOME AS FUCK!" and people are just pretending that they're actually excited about racial progress and stuff because it's much more polite and progressive-sounding to be excited about racial progress. This is just my theory but you have to admit that it makes some sense.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Inauguration is Historic
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 10:33:03 pm »

I know I'm excited as fuck that Bush is leaving office.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Inauguration is Historic
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 11:50:40 pm »

I, too, will be excited to see the inauguration of the first Hawaiian president.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Inauguration is Historic
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 07:26:03 am »

My only regret is waking up at 0100 instead of 0300 to prepare for 0400 departure. It's too little time to go back to sleep and get another REM cycle.

There are a LOT of portapotties, but the Smithsonian is also still open and there are even a few museums that only locals would know about.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Inauguration is Historic
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 07:57:41 am »

I really want to throw out some snarky line about ancient cultures that would select a king in the height of summer and then sacrifice them on the winter solstice to make the crops grow again with emphasis on the fleeting praise and adoration heaped on the person that will tomorrow be held responsible for things completely beyond their control but, well, you guys are just too cute when you're enthusiastic. Just have a mess of fun 'merica. Maybe you got yourselves a goddun this time.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Inauguration is Historic
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 07:59:34 am »

regardless in 8 hours we're rid of the worst yet
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Inauguration is Historic
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 08:59:56 am »

regardless in 8 hours we're rid of the worst yet

That's why I'm going - not so much for the new but to say i was there for the riddance of the old
also because my wife and brother in law are insane
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Inauguration is Historic
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 12:51:15 pm »


There are a LOT of portapotties, but the Smithsonian is also still open and there are even a few museums that only locals would know about.

There are already photos of beautiful long stretches of portajohns on Flickr. Very stirring.

Also, I read that someone was selling a guide Where to Pee in DC on Ebay, so Bobby may have competition even for the obscure museums.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: Inauguration is Historic
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 06:08:33 pm »

I was in a literary theory seminar while this was going on.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up