Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that Wombat has figured out how to edit the News Box!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Inauguration is Historic  (Read 14707 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Inauguration is Historic
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2009, 06:51:08 am »

As to the 2012 thing:

I do not believe that there's anything mystical or magic about a world-scope disaster happening in 2012.

I do, however, fear that there is a critical mass of fucknuts out there in the world who would do a great deal to self-fulfill that prophecy.

And not do a great deal, for that matter. Stop striving for peace, here or there, just let it happen.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: Inauguration is Historic
« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2009, 09:44:57 am »

Furthermore, Christians are often labeled as "right-wing," "intolerant," "close-minded," "gay-bashing," etc.  Yet how many times have I heard my atheist friends disparage someone as a "fundamentalist wacko" because that person attends church on a weekly basis?  Don't you think I get tired of hearing complaints about how "the Christians" are ruining this country?  How many times have I tried not to argue with someone who makes the off-hand comment that Prop 8 failed because of "those gay-hating Christians?"

...

So can someone explain to me why it's become the norm among non-Christians to associate Christianity with ignorance and intolerance? 

Have you considered that these two impressions might come from the same place?

Religions (or lacks thereof) are like assholes.  Everybody's got one.

Like pies!

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Inauguration is Historic
« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2009, 05:20:35 pm »

Sadly, I do not have a pie at the moment.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Inauguration is Historic
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2009, 05:40:13 pm »

Really, where do you live where everyone has a pie?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Inauguration is Historic
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2009, 05:46:37 pm »

Really, where do you live where everyone has a pie?

The Piedmont?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: Inauguration is Historic
« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2009, 06:22:38 pm »

Sadly, I do not have a pie at the moment.

But you must confess, you do have a lack thereof.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Inauguration is Historic
« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2009, 07:39:06 pm »

Why did this immediately make me think of you guys.

Head o State.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Inauguration is Historic
« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2009, 07:43:50 pm »

Why did this immediately make me think of you guys.

Head o State.

How did you come across, er, find that?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: Inauguration is Historic
« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2009, 07:53:15 pm »

I love how flexible the word 'official' can be.

While we're being uncouth...

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Inauguration is Historic
« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2009, 08:12:17 pm »

No no no.

"Head O State" needs to be a rubber head with a working blowjob mouth...

A dildo, you could call "The Chief" or "The Executive".

Dammit, sex industry. I realize you're mostly about being sexual but when you're going to go for the joke on top, have the joke MAKE SENSE.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Inauguration is Historic
« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2009, 08:14:01 pm »

drove thirteen hours or so to Alexandria, and slept at my friend's house. Her parents are very nice and funny. The next day we went into DC for the huge free concert on the National Mall. A lot of artists I don't particularly like doing their popular songs, the crowd didn't have that much energy for some reason. I really liked U2's performance, even though I do not really like U2. That could have been really moving. President Obama gave a pretty mediocre speech. Then Beyonce sang, and I love her. Pete Seeger was sweet, but I wished they would have shown the verses to "This Land is Your Land" on the big screens so that more people would sing along.

That night we went to a really strange party, I did not like it at all and we ran into some other friends from school... so my roommate and I left, while the girl whose house we were staying at remained at the party. We ended up sleeping at this new friend's house, because my roommate has an on-again-off-again type sex thing with her. She is pretty great, which is nice because usually he dates girls I don't like.
The next day we just hung out at her house, helped her set up for her party which was pretty tame. At the end her boss came with her husband. They have kids our age and were fun and smoking pot and drinking. Which was funny.

The next day was the inauguration. I woke up feeling really horrible, I think I was getting a cold compounded by being in the cold all day and not sleeping enough. We got off the metro in Adams Morgan to get tea and bagels. Mid-bagel I looked up when the ceremony started, and realized that we were going to miss it. We rode the metro downtown and got off and wandered the streets... it was really creepy, because at that point no one could get into the parade route/national mall/anything, so it basically looked like a zombie movie. people aimlessly wandering abandoned streets. I was on the verge of crying (I am not sure why.... a combination of happiness about the day and frustration) when we found a camera store that had a little TV. We watched the inauguration and speech on this tiny, staticy TV with a ton of other people packed into the store... everyone was crying and hugging each other and cheering. It was beautiful.

Then we spent the rest of the day wandering around trying to find a metro stop that wasn't overwhelmed with people. Eventually we ended up way down in southeastern DC, right by the Anacostia Bridge. We got on the metro and left.

The whole experience was really emotional and just... incredible. The first president I've voted for, and I have so much faith in him. What I find really moving is that I think that President Obama really believes in us. In a way that is more reasoned and mature than the way President Bush does.

I just kept saying to people, "He Believes in Us."
During the speech I kept thinking about this story my mom told me once about how when she was in High School, kids wouldn't stand up and say the pledge of allegiance (due to Vietnam War stuff). And every day, she would stand up and say it. Lids would make fun of her, and she wouldn't say anything. But she thought it was really important to say the pledge, because unlike those kids, she was not a citizen. She knew it was a privilege for her to be in this country.
I worry sometimes that that story isn't really what happened, that maybe I'm remembering it wrong... but I don't care. I think about this story a lot.
This is what I feel like President Obama has, beyond his intelligence and leadership skills and whatever, that really gets me.
I feel like he has a love for America that is unconditional, but at the same time he understands that America is not always perfect. He has a belief in the Idea of America, and he knows that Americans can do incredible things when they are motivated by this ideal.

I also think similar things about humanity in general. But I think there is something particular about America where we, as a whole, can take a crazy idea and actually make it happen. Or, if it is impossible, work towards it every day.

Head of State: My friend's ex boyfriend, in his creepiest moment, asked her if she would call him "Mr. President" or "Barack" during sex.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 08:17:57 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: Inauguration is Historic
« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2009, 08:26:46 pm »

I feel it's a shame you clarified the context of that last remark.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Inauguration is Historic
« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2009, 08:42:33 pm »

How did you come across, er, find that?

Someone's Twitter. Totally not my responsibility, really.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Inauguration is Historic
« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2009, 09:25:25 pm »

I think Cracked had a picture of the head of state the other day. But there's was Democrat Blue.
Logged

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Inauguration is Historic
« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2009, 11:57:43 pm »

During the speech I kept thinking about this story my mom told me once about how when she was in High School, kids wouldn't stand up and say the pledge of allegiance (due to Vietnam War stuff). And every day, she would stand up and say it. Lids would make fun of her, and she wouldn't say anything. But she thought it was really important to say the pledge, because unlike those kids, she was not a citizen. She knew it was a privilege for her to be in this country.

I do not recite the pledge, as I find fealty oaths morally dangerous.

I do, however, stand quietly and face the same direction with my hands down out of respect for those around me.  "You all are taking a moment, and while I won't join you, I will also not do anything that will ruin your moment for you."
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up