Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Terrible dream where Bobby Flay came to my childhood home, danced on the table, recited verse, and we had nothing interesting for him to do.

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 104   Go Down

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Youtube Thread  (Read 220784 times)

0 Members and 41 Guests are viewing this topic.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The OFFICIAL Youtube Thread
« Reply #375 on: February 16, 2010, 12:34:13 am »

Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Youtube Thread
« Reply #376 on: February 16, 2010, 07:08:05 am »

Giant nose dipping into the frame...unsettling.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Youtube Thread
« Reply #377 on: February 16, 2010, 12:12:49 pm »

Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The OFFICIAL Youtube Thread
« Reply #378 on: February 16, 2010, 05:24:39 pm »

Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Youtube Thread
« Reply #379 on: February 17, 2010, 04:15:20 am »

Oh man I want him to hold me close and keep me warm at night.

I want that too, provided there are photos in my inbox the next morning.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Youtube Thread
« Reply #380 on: February 17, 2010, 11:03:10 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKDgYKSEN6M
Problem: Girlfriends dont let their boyfriends go out to bars for beer.
Solution: Teleportation.
One beer company has solved this dilemma.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The OFFICIAL Youtube Thread
« Reply #381 on: February 18, 2010, 03:02:12 am »

WAHYT LIE IF YOAU CAN TELOEPORT?

EXACTLY!
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Youtube Thread
« Reply #382 on: February 18, 2010, 03:01:43 pm »

Why lie if you can dump the bitch and find a girlfriend who recognizes that you like to go to bars with your friends and doesn't treat you like a child?

Seriously, shit like this makes me want to recant feminism. It's no good arguing for equal treatment if we as a society treat men this badly. No self-respecting modern feminist would allow herself to be infantilized like this. (Note that I am aware that many women do allow it; I would argue that they are neither feminist nor self-respecting.)

What is up with that, dudes? Do you think it is rad to be treated like an irresponsible, beer-guzzling, untrustworthy sheep by the media?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Youtube Thread
« Reply #383 on: February 18, 2010, 03:28:11 pm »

As someone who has been in this kind of relationship, I think the deal is that the dude wants to be with his friends free from the obligations that come along with a girlfriend being present and the girlfriend is jealous of the dude choosing other dudes over time with her, or thinks the dude is cheating.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Youtube Thread
« Reply #384 on: February 18, 2010, 03:39:26 pm »

As someone who has been in this kind of relationship, I think the deal is that the dude wants to be with his friends free from the obligations that come along with a girlfriend being present and the girlfriend is jealous of the dude choosing other dudes over time with her, or thinks the dude is cheating.

You pirate.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The OFFICIAL Youtube Thread
« Reply #385 on: February 18, 2010, 03:41:53 pm »

Why lie if you can dump the bitch and find a girlfriend who recognizes that you like to go to bars with your friends and doesn't treat you like a child?

Seriously, shit like this makes me want to recant feminism. It's no good arguing for equal treatment if we as a society treat men this badly. No self-respecting modern feminist would allow herself to be infantilized like this. (Note that I am aware that many women do allow it; I would argue that they are neither feminist nor self-respecting.)

What is up with that, dudes? Do you think it is rad to be treated like an irresponsible, beer-guzzling, untrustworthy sheep by the media?


I am very disappointed with it really.

So many adverts on the TV at the moment make light of the whole 'hurrrrr dad's stupid and mum's the one who always sorts things out' trope. Similarly, young men are portrayed as BANTER LOVING OI OI twats. Let's look at some adverts focused towards men:

- Lynx, beauty products etc. ugly/undesirable guy uses deodorant and suddenly becomes a cocky bastard who women love. If the guy is instead immensely good looking, like on a perfume or hair gel advert, he is portrayed as a flash prick unable to fully open his eyes. A lot of women I know have displayed unfavourable reactions to the men in these

- Tabloid newspapers, the Sun, the Daily Sport, Nuts etc. portray young working class men as idiots unable to read a proper newspaper, interested only in softcore porn on pages 3-10 and football. In the Nuts adverts, called 'WOMEN: Don't expect any help on a Thursdaayyyyy', a man is sitting comfortably with his feet up whilst his wife/girlfriend struggles with a menial household task. That is pretty shit to both men and women honestly.

- Food adverts always advertise 'man food' as being thick/colossal with some stupid cockney geeza in the background. Making men sound kinda stupid. In one advert a guy knows a ballet term at a pub quiz and is ejected from the pub. Oh great, let's show men as uncultured bores. Beer adverts are a lot like the one above, trying to be creative in portraying men as desperate to constantly drink with each other free of society's/better half's gaze.

It's not as big as an issue as I'm making it seem just there but it's kind of annoying. I know girls who I've met and their first attitude towards me is as if I'm some pigheaded moron. Not good. I'm sure it works the other way a lot of the time though.

As for the beer/girlfriend issue: I've always had beaus who are very reasonable. The weird thing seems to be (in my experience) that in couples (mostly friends and not in my case), the girl generally retreats further into the relationship and makes far less effort to see her friends, meaning she often seems to get resentful that her boyfriend wants to go out so often. A couple of my flatmates had girlfriends relatively early into the academic calendar last year, before everyone properly made friends; when they (inevitably) split up, sadly the girls in the relationships had very few friends compared to most of the girls who'd been single most of the year. Whilst the guys were no different to anyone else. In both relationships, they were always extremely upset whenever her boyfriend wanted to go out without her, but it's understandable I suppose when she couldn't do the same thing herself. Whereas most strong relationships I know where they both have a lot of friends it's not an issue.

A lot of long-term relationships though I know seem to go this way, with the girl getting more insular as the guy tries his best to hold on to his entire social life (which is often a selgiraffe thing to do when you have a girlfriend). Insecurity issue with certain women? Natural progression to the family unit? I don't know

Wot u guys think
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Youtube Thread
« Reply #386 on: February 18, 2010, 03:59:27 pm »

The double standard extends to the literary world too.

What would you say about a guy who gets bored with his wife so he divorces her.  He goes to Rome in search of good food and younger women for short-term, sex-only relationships.  Getting bored with that he goes to India in search of enlightenment.  After a few months there he gets bored again and so goes on to Indonesia where he finds a much older, wealthy sugar momma who wants to support him, so he gets remarried.

A man does that and they make Lifetime Movies about it.  A woman does it and it's a wonderful spiritual voyage of self-discovery.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Youtube Thread
« Reply #387 on: February 18, 2010, 04:12:39 pm »

I'd rather stay in than go out, but I accept that Pedro has different needs -- in fact, he is a whole different person from me -- and I encourage him to go to bars with his friends, provided that the girls mostly keep their tops on. In fact, actually, if he wanted to go to a titty bar, I would be100% OK with that as long as he promised to come home sober enough to give me a good roll-around afterwards. But honestly, it's never come up.

He's a social creature, and I'm not, and we're just now getting to the point where he understands that I don't have to go out and get sloshy on fruity pink beverages in martini glasses every time he goes to the bar to watch the game with a buddy in the interest of some kindergartener's interpretation of "fairness." I'd rather stay in and play videogames, thanks, but that shouldn't stop him from doing what he wants to do with his limited and precious free time.

Ii just don't see what the problem is -- it seems that most of them women I've encountered feel the sane way I do, and those that don't shouldn't be in relationships anyway. I say, if your partner won't let you hang out with friends and do what you want (provided you're also spending sufficient time with said partner to avoid making her/him feel slighted, YMMV), dump her/his sorry ass.

My point is, if a woman won't let her SO go out to bars with her friends, we call her a typical female. If a man won't let his wife go to bars with her friends, we call him a controlling abuser.


Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The OFFICIAL Youtube Thread
« Reply #388 on: February 18, 2010, 04:23:22 pm »

That is true also and seems to be reflected in actual life. As my parents grow older and their friends start divorcing etc. it's always seen as the man is a prick if he leaves, but the woman is brave to end a stodged up relationship if she does. If he goes on to find someone new fairly quick, he's a cold hearted bastard, if she does it's only confirmation that her ex hubby wasn't the right man for her and she's making the most of what's left of her youth.

This is what I garner from their gossip anyway.

BUT LET'S REMEMBER

It's always somewhat understandable in this day and age for a perceived minority or oppressed section of the population to criticise the ruling body or whatever you will. Obviously women are a majority in most cases but still there is massive inequality when it comes to jobs and how the sexes are perceived. There are still many, many people (women included obviously) who think a woman could never be an effective Prime Minister (Thatcher doesn't count), Premier League referee, sports commentator, CEO of Sky, Pope, etc. Men can do pretty much whatever they want in life if they have the talent, I'd argue women are very unlikely to succeed in certain areas because of bias which is incredibly sad. Men and women might in some cases be better suited to certain tasks but their are plenty of women and men just as capable in a field as there more 'naturally' sexed counterparts.

Female singers/songwriters must at some point be faced with a record company encouraging them to sex themselves up a bit if they are to be global superstars, female writers (I have first hand evidence from some publishers I know) are encouraged to write for a strictly feminine audience, etc. I think this is why stories of female 'empowerment' over men are both somewhat understandable and popular. But not right.


JL, I think your last sentence sums it up. It doesn't help that a lot of men are happy to cater to stuff like that. We're men after all, we'd rather make an early breakfast and apologise then have a proper discussion about relationship issues. Obviously  ;)
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Youtube Thread
« Reply #389 on: February 19, 2010, 12:44:13 am »

A woman does it and it's a wonderful spiritual voyage of self-discovery.

I beg to differ. A woman does it and she's an asshole too. Even worse, an asshole with a book contract, which is the worst kind.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 104   Go Up