Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood The bus is crossing Klickitat St., home of Ramona Quimby. It's pretty swank these days. No sign of Nosmo King.

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 104   Go Down

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Youtube Thread  (Read 219585 times)

0 Members and 29 Guests are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Youtube Thread
« Reply #480 on: March 23, 2010, 07:40:00 pm »

JL, you've seen this, right?
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Youtube Thread
« Reply #481 on: March 23, 2010, 09:04:38 pm »

*If you want to argue against Seven Bridges Road being Southern Rock, travel to any college town in the South and play it at a party.

So southern rock doesn't need to be southern.  Hell, it doesn't even need to be rock and roll apparently.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Youtube Thread
« Reply #482 on: March 23, 2010, 10:40:15 pm »

OK, enough of this, a more important question is why haven't any of you posted this? This is the kind of thing I rely on you people to inform me of.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Youtube Thread
« Reply #483 on: March 23, 2010, 11:59:20 pm »

Oh sorry, I saw that on Facebook about a month ago. 
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The OFFICIAL Youtube Thread
« Reply #484 on: March 24, 2010, 12:30:57 am »

Speaking as a 'neutral'.

I definitely do not associate it with Southern rock.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Youtube Thread
« Reply #485 on: March 24, 2010, 02:13:45 am »

Man, I think Fat Bottom Girls is at very least southern rock-y, but it might be the same thing as Dan.  They played it on the classic/basically southern rock channel where I grew up, so yeah, that could be affecting my judgment, but it sure as hell seems like southern rock to me. 

They reason I am posting is different though.  I see absolutely no resemblance between Seven Bridges Road and Fat Bottomed Girls or southern rock in general.  It seems like really pussified country.  Am I wrong here?

Also, wanted to post this a while ago but didn't:  man, you people really like Queen.  I always thought they were just a joke (that isn't the right word), I guess I am wrong about this?  There is something that differentiates them from, say, Kansas or Foreigner?
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The OFFICIAL Youtube Thread
« Reply #486 on: March 24, 2010, 02:31:22 am »

Also, wanted to post this a while ago but didn't:  man, you people really like Queen.  I always thought they were just a joke (that isn't the right word), I guess I am wrong about this?  There is something that differentiates them from, say, Kansas or Foreigner?

I think Queen are alright. I'm not the world's biggest fan, but I know all the words to Bohemian Rhapsody and can stick on their greatest hits and think 'fuck, they actually did a lot of good stuff. Fancy that'

Plus, Mercury was a fantastic singer, and the rest of the band were good in a way which wasn't just competent. Brian May's guitar tone is beautiful and distinctive and that always raises a band's stock in my eyes.

Certainly, comparing them to Kansas or Foreigner is massively unfair.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Youtube Thread
« Reply #487 on: March 24, 2010, 02:37:54 am »

Pedro, when presented with the problem in a way that did not betray my convictions, noted that it's really a question of whether you consider a musical genre to be a particular collection of sounds, or rather a piece of a particular culture.

He also rightly concluded that, as a pragmatist, I would be more inclined to take the "collection of sounds" argument and argue that if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, et cetera. I thought this was pretty insightful.

Also:
JL, you've seen this, right?

I hadn't, and now that I have, I'm still not sure whether it's for real or not.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Youtube Thread
« Reply #488 on: March 24, 2010, 02:44:51 am »

Oh, and I was asking that stuff about Queen, not trying to be a dick.  I liked that song that Paul posted yesterday way too much (I think I just like anything remotely rockabilly), and now am wondering about them again.  Most of you, especially judy, have good music taste, so like maybe they are good, but that goes against everything I was raised to believe.

Oh, also, Bohemian Rhapsody.  The only other songs with that structure I know of are by The Beatles and Radiohead, so that is pretty decent company.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Youtube Thread
« Reply #489 on: March 24, 2010, 02:46:01 am »

Queen, especially earlier Queen -- say up to about News of the World is so excellent.  So over the top flamboyant but still rocking hard.  Plus fairly witty well written lyrics.

Kansas gets lumped in with a lot of hokey 70's bands, which I think is at least a little unfair.  They had a lot of the hokey bombast of the day, but there's some solid musicianship there too.

Foreigner was never that great and pretty much sucked by their third album.

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Youtube Thread
« Reply #490 on: March 24, 2010, 02:49:07 am »

Kansas fucked themselves with that.  I never would have heard of them, but instead they are touring around at theme parks in Oklahoma City and Harley Davidson stores exactly between denver and Ft Collins.  Come on, if you can't get booked at the OKC Zoo Ampitheatre with whatever the fuck is touring as Lynyrd Skynyrd and The Steve Miller Band it is time to stop.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Youtube Thread
« Reply #491 on: March 24, 2010, 02:53:33 am »

Come ON! You can't tell me that "Carry On Wayward Son" is not genius.

I am not a Kansas devotee by any stretch, so I've only heard their radio songs, but that one is just awesome.

Or maybe, possibly*, I just have crappy taste in music.

*probably
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Youtube Thread
« Reply #492 on: March 24, 2010, 03:39:41 am »

Kansas fucked themselves with that.  I never would have heard of them, but instead they are touring around at theme parks in Oklahoma City and Harley Davidson stores exactly between denver and Ft Collins.  Come on, if you can't get booked at the OKC Zoo Ampitheatre with whatever the fuck is touring as Lynyrd Skynyrd and The Steve Miller Band it is time to stop.

Yeah.  You're right. 

There are worse ways to make a living though.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Youtube Thread
« Reply #493 on: March 24, 2010, 04:09:14 am »

Hey, you're right too!
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The OFFICIAL Youtube Thread
« Reply #494 on: March 24, 2010, 04:15:33 am »

Not on the sofa, fellas.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 104   Go Up