Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Ray Smuckles pours one out for Tiger's '09 Escalade. "Shit didn't have to be that way, Tiger. You coulda' taken the damn Buick."

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Topic Starters  (Read 3596 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Topic Starters
« on: February 14, 2009, 04:49:38 pm »

I was perusing the stats when I noticed that I am no. 2 on the list of topic starters.  I have started 302 topics.  Only Jough with 317 has started more topics than I have.  This kind of took me by surprise as I didn't realize I was a prolific topic starter.  But I see that behind me, the only person even close to my number is Frank with 256.  I've nearly twice the number as fourth place JL.

This got me to thinking.  These numbers only go back to when we migrated the board back in late 2005.  I wonder what they would be like if they went back all the way to the beginning? 

There have been some complaints that the board is dead lately; that people aren't posting much anymore and I'm curious if there is a cause and effect going on.  If there were more topics being thrown out for consideration perhaps there would be more conversation.

I don't know, it's just a thought.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: Topic Starters
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 04:57:15 pm »

I don't think I've ever started a thread. But all things considered, that's probably for the best.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Topic Starters
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 04:57:22 pm »

I've been doing my share lately.  I can't believe I'm still #4, even having taken two rather long hiatus periods.  

Come to think of it, given how long it's been since Jough was an institution here, it's fairly impressive that the's still #1.  
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Topic Starters
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 07:27:03 pm »

I've always just been a replier. I was like that even back on The Random Game where weird single post topics were encouraged.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Topic Starters
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 03:59:10 am »

I was hoping this thread would ignite a flurry or new topics, but instead it appears to have completely killed the board entirely.

Oh well, I think Side Show was right anyway.  Might as well leave it to the worms.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Topic Starters
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 04:38:57 am »

Nooooooooo!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Topic Starters
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 05:49:27 am »

The interesting thing about this board's nature as a rogue board is that...

Though it is no longer directly focused on the Achewood, the Achewood strips are still often the spark behind the torrent of conversin'.

The grain of sand to irritate the oyster and to wait for the pearl, if you will.

And, even now, when free Achematerial is down to a trickle, so are we fair rogues.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Topic Starters
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 02:23:58 pm »

Yes, we like to think of ourselves as rogues...

People come to the board when there is a strip, then they check out the other threads too. It's understandable. I think it will get better when he gets back on track producing more. It is too bad we can't volunteer to go over his new house and do some rogue unpacking and painting and sandwich-making.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Topic Starters
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 02:54:06 pm »

The other message board that I frequent seems to have declined in activity in the past year as well.  Is Facebook taking over?
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Topic Starters
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 05:04:40 pm »

Could be. It would support my theory that Facebook is destroying the Internet for everyone.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Topic Starters
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 05:46:16 pm »

Low activity levels on the forums I'm on as well. I'm wondering if there's a link with the economy.

Fewer people working, plus less work for those who are working = more time to screw off on the internet

or

Fewer people working and more people worried about their jobs = fewer people at offices screwing off on the internet?
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Topic Starters
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 10:43:16 pm »

I got this idea to make a topic on a message board I used to visit long ago, but I never made it.  It was the misc. board from the forum of a computer game.

I was gonna post, "you ever wonder how come when you got to take a shit, the urge just gets more and more intense proportionate to how close you are to the toilet?  what the eff is up with that?," but I never posted it and probably never will.
Logged
ACHIEVE

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Topic Starters
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 10:52:18 pm »

See, I've been just waiting for my chance to expound on this topic.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Topic Starters
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2009, 01:01:24 am »

I got this idea to make a topic on a message board I used to visit long ago, but I never made it.  It was the misc. board from the forum of a computer game.

I was gonna post, "you ever wonder how come when you got to take a shit, the urge just gets more and more intense proportionate to how close you are to the toilet?  what the eff is up with that?," but I never posted it and probably never will.

Have you tried approaching then backing away from the toilet?
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Topic Starters
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2009, 01:22:49 am »

Maybe our digestive system has some kind water divining ability that operates at a subconscious level, so when we get near the restroom everything gets set in motion. To test this you'd have to situate people unknowingly near toilets and observe and ask. There's just so much about the human body we don't know.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up