Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

THIS SPACE FOR RENT
The tip jar is broken, but Wombat will entertain bribe offers, assuming she can find this edit screen again.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Another aspect of the theme of manhood.  (Read 18777 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: Another aspect of the theme of manhood.
« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2009, 10:53:20 pm »

I am also going to stop marking the use/mention distinction. Doing so made the above post far too clear.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Another aspect of the theme of manhood.
« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2009, 07:24:04 am »

There are not cans enough in this world, Ruta Bagas...
Logged

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Another aspect of the theme of manhood.
« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2009, 11:52:54 am »

Bagas, Bagas, Bagas...
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

TripperDay

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 9
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 46
    • View Profile
Re: Another aspect of the theme of manhood.
« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2009, 06:28:52 pm »

I feel for those who are confused, but after several hundred years of colonialism, slavery, resource theft, racism, etc.  how about you just call the people who are suffering from being dicked over for generations what they want to be called and don't question it?

That too much to ask?
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Another aspect of the theme of manhood.
« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2009, 07:00:43 pm »

I feel for those who are confused, but after several hundred years of colonialism, slavery, resource theft, racism, etc.  how about you just call the people who are suffering from being dicked over for generations what they want to be called and don't question it?

That too much to ask?

The issue, at least for me, is that I've only heard white people use the term "woman/person of color." And almost always in a staffing situation. "We should try to fill that vacancy with a person of color" or "it looks bad that not many people of color work here."

So I'm not clear that there are people who do want to be called that.
Logged

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Another aspect of the theme of manhood.
« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2009, 07:11:53 pm »

how about you just call the people who are suffering from being dicked over for generations what they want to be called and don't question it?

That too much to ask?

Them you-know-whats are just too plain lazy to prepare and send off a memo, that's the rub.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Another aspect of the theme of manhood.
« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2009, 07:20:14 pm »

I feel for those who are confused, but after several hundred years of colonialism, slavery, resource theft, racism, etc.  how about you just call the people who are suffering from being dicked over for generations what they want to be called and don't question it?

That too much to ask?

Let us know when they reach a consensus.

Of course, if I find their actions asinine, I reserve the right to make fun of them.  Because I'd be treating them differently if I didn't.  And it's wrong to treat people differently based upon skin color, isn't it?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Another aspect of the theme of manhood.
« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2009, 07:38:24 pm »

I don't care what people want to be called, I think 'colored people' sounds poetic and there should be a movement to revive it. Although I'm willing to be persuaded to use 'rampaging hippopotamuses' instead.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Another aspect of the theme of manhood.
« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2009, 07:46:46 pm »

...that luscious negress... Oh, sorry, daydreaming here, go on...
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

TripperDay

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 9
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 46
    • View Profile
Re: Another aspect of the theme of manhood.
« Reply #69 on: April 03, 2009, 09:42:40 pm »

The issue, at least for me, is that I've only heard white people use the term "woman/person of color." And almost always in a staffing situation. "We should try to fill that vacancy with a person of color" or "it looks bad that not many people of color work here."

So I'm not clear that there are people who do want to be called that.

Don't get me wrong; I almost always say "black" if I'm describing someone who's black. But if someone wanted me to "African-American" in their presence, I'd happily oblige and not give it another thought.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Another aspect of the theme of manhood.
« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2009, 09:57:50 pm »

Wait a minute, this 'dicked over for generations' thing...is there anything in it for me?
I'm not sure how marginalized the BPoE have been throughout recent history.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Another aspect of the theme of manhood.
« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2009, 11:15:51 pm »

Quote
The issue, at least for me, is that I've only heard white people use the term "woman/person of color." And almost always in a staffing situation. "We should try to fill that vacancy with a person of color" or "it looks bad that not many people of color work here."

So I'm not clear that there are people who do want to be called that.

Ditto. In my case I have heard it in anthropology classes where it was used, as far as I can tell, to mean "the people white people dick over."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Another aspect of the theme of manhood.
« Reply #72 on: April 04, 2009, 11:28:03 am »

Don't get me wrong; I almost always say "black" if I'm describing someone who's black. But if someone wanted me to "African-American" in their presence, I'd happily oblige and not give it another thought.

See, I most likely wouldn't, because it's against my policy to oblige dunderheads.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Another aspect of the theme of manhood.
« Reply #73 on: April 04, 2009, 06:26:29 pm »

I think if we tried a little harder we could turn this thread into a flame war about racism.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Another aspect of the theme of manhood.
« Reply #74 on: April 04, 2009, 07:25:21 pm »

whatever, texas
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Up