Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TOUAMB: Debating the decline and fall of Chris Onstad since 2003.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Great Outdoor Fight Movie Thread  (Read 11853 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
The OFFICIAL Great Outdoor Fight Movie Thread
« on: March 01, 2009, 01:56:49 am »

It had to be done, sooner or later. Chris says that in the movie version, the cats and ASAs will be played by humans. Let's discuss this. Let's discuss casting. Let's discuss whatever we deem to be relevant.

I'm concerned with how much will be lost in translation from cartoon cats to live-action humans, particularly the violence. A cartoon cat ripping another cartoon cat's face off is funny, but with humans it suddenly becomes horrifying. Will audiences lose sympathy with Ray after he starts fighting? It's about suspension of disbelief, I suppose.
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Great Outdoor Fight Movie Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 02:00:34 am »

Nah, I think at least for the early take downs they'll be played for laughs with over the top gore familiar to B horror film affectionadoes.  Am I right that Samuel L Jackson should play Ramses or is he a bit too obvious these days?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: The OFFICIAL Great Outdoor Fight Movie Thread
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 02:06:33 am »

I'd just like to hear Samuel L Jackson's agent pitch the idea to him. But then again, he was in Snakes on a Plane, and I read an interview published around that time where he said he'd act in just about any movie so long as he thought it would be commercially successful.

I'm also worried about the potential shift from talking cats and alive stuff animals to humans.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Great Outdoor Fight Movie Thread
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 03:46:15 am »

I'm reminding myself of all the times people were saying this and that about how some story line was going badly and I said something along the lines of "o ye of little faith" and then I was proved right when some brilliant Achewoodian thing transpired.

I'm reminding myself of this because a live action human Achewood movie seems to me like a perfectly awful idea and I can only hope that this is my small, limited vision talking, and that it will be wonderful in ways I cannot forsee. 

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Great Outdoor Fight Movie Thread
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 04:17:22 am »

I can live with a live-action GOF movie with humans playing the cats, but only if the alt-text appears as subtitles.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Great Outdoor Fight Movie Thread
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 04:57:01 am »

How about director's commentary? 'This scene rests heavily on the gossipy hotdog vender archetype'.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Great Outdoor Fight Movie Thread
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 04:58:37 am »

I don't think it will ever happen--just like the achewood video game (?!).
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The OFFICIAL Great Outdoor Fight Movie Thread
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 07:07:43 am »

I, too, fear that the cat-on-cat violence would take on an entirely different tone than in the strip with people-on-people.

A Bruce Campbell-esque kitschiness that would be interesting but not at all what was intended in the strip.

I would almost go the other direction and make the characters as much like cats and teddy bears as possible, even moreso than the strip.

Just anthropomorphized enough for them to be walking upright and such.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Great Outdoor Fight Movie Thread
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 07:34:52 am »

Doc, you're right about the over-the-top factor, I hadn't even considered that. That is definitely a way that it could, and probably will, go. And it would work.

And Todd's last name is "Squirrel". How are they going to square that? Maybe he could just be a little human drug addict whose nickname was "Todd the Squirrel".
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The OFFICIAL Great Outdoor Fight Movie Thread
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 07:50:38 am »

By the by, I would want the Achewood game to somehow be in the mold of the early Nintendo 8-bit console-RPGs.

Dragon Warrior 3 sorta deal.

Have no idea how that'd work, of course, but there we are.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Great Outdoor Fight Movie Thread
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 08:12:00 am »

The Great Outdoor Fight

Directed by Guy Ritchie
Starring Brad Pitt, Gerard Butler, Sam Jackson
Featuring R. Lee Ermey as Hot Dog Vendor
And Christopher Walken as Ramses
Original Story by Christ Opher Onstad
Screenplay by Uwe Bold Charlie Kaufman


The characters are not related to Achewood in any manner. The concept is not related to Achewood in any manner. The names Ray and Roast Beef have nothing to do with the Achewood Universe. This is a concept originated in Achewood and transported out therefrom.

Rated NC-17.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Great Outdoor Fight Movie Thread
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 08:17:51 am »

The characters are not related to Achewood in any manner. The concept is not related to Achewood in any manner. The names Ray and Roast Beef have nothing to do with the Achewood Universe. This is a concept originated in Achewood and transported out therefrom.

Sounds thoroughly realistic of the hollywood process. Though I'd dig on Steve Buschemi as Beef rather than (I'm presuming) Brad Pitt. Also Eddy Izzard as Barry the Blogger (but he'd be replaced halfway through shooting by Simon Pegg when they decided they needed to skew to a younger demographic).
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The OFFICIAL Great Outdoor Fight Movie Thread
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2009, 09:29:22 am »

where are we getting the idea that this is happening? am i missing a link somewhere?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Great Outdoor Fight Movie Thread
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2009, 09:34:39 am »

He mentions it in the talk he gave at Google, which is here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2ZOSZZTIiE&feature=channel_page

Also he mentions it again in today's AssetBar Q&A. Both times he pretty explicitly says that the GOF film will feature live action humans playing the roles.
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Great Outdoor Fight Movie Thread
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2009, 02:08:28 pm »

Sounds thoroughly realistic of the hollywood process.

But actually maybe it's a good idea.  The only good outcome I can imagine is making something entirely new out of the concept, instead of a bad translation into another medium.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up