Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TERRIBLE!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: No Thread...  (Read 5878 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: No Thread...
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2009, 03:18:16 am »

I save magazines for three months, as a rule, but I re-read them a few times.  I'm a bathroom reader, and I keep them in a wire basket that hangs off the side of the tank.  I keep a file folder where I tear out things I want to keep -- recipes, decorating ideas, how-tos. 

Cooking mags I keep forever, though.  The ads are like kitchen porn. 

I have a lot of magazines in the house at the moment because I'm researching potential markets for my writing, so I'll keep those around until I place the piece I'm working on.  Do those count as clutter if they're part of my job? 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: No Thread...
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2009, 05:59:36 am »

Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: No Thread...
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2009, 11:05:09 am »

You can tear out the crossword and throw the rest away. You don't want to become one of those crazy people with piles of old newspapers and magazines all over the house, do you?


But you need the other pages to give you a decent writing surface! Otherwise you've just got a floppy scrap of newsprint that shies away from your pen like a sleepy hamster, and you make a mess off filling in seven across and it looks like you think "AGAs" is a conceivable solution to "For example, extremely gelatinous ova" and all your friend think you're a simpleton even though it was only a slip of the pen, so you're under more pressure than ever to look clever and before long you've turned into that person who just has to make a smart-arsed comment or a pedantic correction every time anyone says anything, so there's this slow build-up of emotional distance between you and everyone you love and eventually you realise you''ve forgotten how to love. You're nothing but a shattered mask with shrivelled, dried-out roses for eyes, and the brief miracle of your feeling soul has been wasted.

I mean, it doesn't take that long to finish the crossword, you can just throw it all out afterwards.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: No Thread...
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2009, 12:23:47 pm »

But you need the other pages to give you a decent writing surface! Otherwise you've just got a floppy scrap of newsprint that shies away from your pen like a sleepy hamster, and you make a mess off filling in seven across and it looks like you think "AGAs" is a conceivable solution to "For example, extremely gelatinous ova" and all your friend think you're a simpleton even though it was only a slip of the pen, so you're under more pressure than ever to look clever and before long you've turned into that person who just has to make a smart-arsed comment or a pedantic correction every time anyone says anything, so there's this slow build-up of emotional distance between you and everyone you love and eventually you realise you''ve forgotten how to love. You're nothing but a shattered mask with shrivelled, dried-out roses for eyes, and the brief miracle of your feeling soul has been wasted.

I mean, it doesn't take that long to finish the crossword, you can just throw it all out afterwards.

That is superb. Remind me to can you again in an hour or so
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: No Thread...
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2009, 12:26:26 pm »

I have a lot of magazines in the house at the moment because I'm researching potential markets for my writing, so I'll keep those around until I place the piece I'm working on.  Do those count as clutter if they're part of my job? 

Those are OK if they are on a bookshelf like books, or in a defined pile of things to do on a desk. And I do keep the halfdozen latest issues of one magazine I subscribe to mostly as work.

Yeah, I have to have a lot of rules about this. It's a slippery slope.

And Ruta: You could buy a nice clipboard.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: No Thread...
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2009, 01:24:56 pm »

My work 'zines are indeed on a bookshelf.  My non-work 'zines live in the bathroom. 

Also, 'bagas, you could always put the torn-out crossword against the cover of the current issue.  Personally, I don't like doing pen-and-paper puzzles in magazines anyways -- you usually have to bend pages over the spine to get to the squares on the far left and that just bothers me. 

And heaven forbid they place the puzzle on the right-facing page.  That's just a train wreck, right there, but I've seen it done. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

herofix

  • Guest
Re: No Thread...
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2009, 03:01:57 pm »

I just canned Ruta Bagas so hard.  I slammed down the penis click for that can. 

I canned him right where it counts.
Logged

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: No Thread...
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2009, 04:23:16 pm »

The AGA thing had me in absolute stitches.* Every time I see Ruta Bagas post I am canning him.

This is how I roll from now on.

*I get the feeling it is unintentionally brilliant however and that is what makes it sweet.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: No Thread...
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2009, 05:22:18 pm »

I save every magazine, ever. They are basically filling a shelf in my closet... actually most of them are old Rolling Stones, I can probably throw that crap-ola away.

Which mostly leads to going back and realizing that the 1 article I skipped over is the one about a band I now think is awesome. The ones I read were about utter crap.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: No Thread...
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2009, 05:49:15 pm »

Ruta Bagas, I never knew so much was at stake.  Thank you for your dire warning.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: No Thread...
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2009, 06:29:25 pm »

Onstad draws so consistently mehly that I forget how raw he is when he feels like bringing his A-game design skills; look at those car lights. clever sonovabitch...
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: No Thread...
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2009, 06:30:54 pm »

The first rule of customer service: set their expectations low, and then blow their asses off every once in a while.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: No Thread...
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2009, 06:57:54 pm »

I save every magazine, ever.

This is because you have not yet had your parents drive to your 1400 square foot starter home with a U-Haul filled with all the crap you left at their house when you went to college. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: No Thread...
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2009, 08:44:50 pm »

See, books are different.  I'm a book hoarder.  Two reasons for this:

1.  I like to be able to loan stuff to people I think may like or learn from it. 

2.  I'm an inveterate re-reader. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: No Thread...
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2009, 08:56:08 pm »

I feel the same way about books and movies. 

My DVD collection is smaller than my collection of PS2 games, which have the advantage of being plausibly "different" every time through.  I have six PS2 games, counting the GTA series as three different titles.

The only books I really strive to keep are a dictionary, the coffee table version of Ken Burns' "Baseball" series, and an old copy of The Great Gatsby.

Non-cooking magazines are kept for six months on the off chance my dad will want to stop by and permanently borrow a New Yorker.  Cooking magazines are kept for 12 months in three organized stacks in the kitchen.  After 12 months they are raided for recipes that I actually use and the balance is recycled.

Try as we may, the newspaper doesn't seem to want us to scale our subscription back to weekends only.  They know we aren't paying for seven-day delivery but the thing keeps showing up on our doorstep.  I don't mind if they're doing it to keep us as ever-scarcer subscribers, but it gets my eco-panties in a bunch that they'd waste the resources on print and distribution.  Papers we do get are out of the house every Sunday.  If something is good in a newspaper, odds are very strong that I can bookmark it on the web version.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up