Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I shouldn't have to tell people not to hit me on the head nearly so often as I do.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: ZZ Top in Houston, Radiohead in England  (Read 4258 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
ZZ Top in Houston, Radiohead in England
« on: November 21, 2003, 05:21:23 pm »

ZZ Top being inducted into the Hall of Fame coincides nicely with their send off party for The Summit.  ZZ Top are playing The Summit (or Compaq Center, feh, the new name never stuck with me) here in Houston tomorrow night. It's their 23rd. performance at this venue and the final one before the former home of the Houston Rockets (who now reside at Toyota Center) is converted into "The Oasis of Love" a non denominational church. I think I prefer the sermons of Reverend Willie G.  ZZ Top were also one of the first acts to play this venue 28 years ago (a gig I attended BTW- Thanksgiving Day 1975). It's fitting that the Top will be the ones who are seeing off this venerable (for Houston anyway) concert establishment. They are loved throughout the world, but nowhere moreso than in their hometown. This well timed announcement of their induction into the into the Hall of Fame will add an air of excitement to an already festive ocasion.

~Paul <--- 4 of 23 attended (plus one other in a different venue)

PS- Too bad I won't be able to attend because i'll be on my way to England tomorrow evening.  It's Radiohead i'm going to see perform on this Thanksgiving.  I'm also gonna see Bob Dylan perform in a converted movie theatre. Awesome!!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

V-Adore

  • Guest
ZZ Top in Houston, Radiohead in England
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2003, 06:55:14 pm »

Go ahead, brag about your concerts and your culture and your going to see Radiohead live and your...

*sob*
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
ZZ Top in Houston, Radiohead in England
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2003, 07:57:40 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Go ahead, brag about your concerts and your culture and your going to see Radiohead live and your...

*sob*


I'm more jealous of him seeing Dylan, despite him being past-it and unable to speak any Earthly language.
I'm severely pissed off I can't make it to the Mark Lanegan gig in a week though. I got QotSA out of the way, with him doing vocals for half of it (yay) in June, though it meant driving for about 14 hours of the day. I'm never going to get over this though.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
ZZ Top in Houston, Radiohead in England
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2003, 08:02:39 pm »

I missed QotSA with Mark Lanegan because it was the same night as Beck with the Flaming Lips.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
ZZ Top in Houston, Radiohead in England
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2003, 09:09:09 pm »

Didn't mean to make you cry V.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
ZZ Top in Houston, Radiohead in England
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2003, 09:52:27 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
I'm more jealous of him seeing Dylan, despite him being past-it and unable to speak any Earthly language.


Good call.  I saw him two years ago and it was arguably a pretty bad use of eighty dollars.  For example, only halfway through 'Blowin' in the Wind' did the crowd catch on to what he was singing and start applauding.
Logged
goose means greedy

V-Adore

  • Guest
ZZ Top in Houston, Radiohead in England
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2003, 10:09:28 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "slink"
I'm more jealous of him seeing Dylan, despite him being past-it and unable to speak any Earthly language.


Good call.  I saw him two years ago and it was arguably a pretty bad use of eighty dollars.  For example, only halfway through 'Blowin' in the Wind' did the crowd catch on to what he was singing and start applauding.

Man, broken-down Bob Dylan might very well be the saddest thing.

Anyway... dangit, I need to see more bands live. Maybe that would sate my horrid, horrid bloodlustenvy of you people.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
ZZ Top in Houston, Radiohead in England
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2003, 10:17:24 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Good call.  I saw him two years ago and it was arguably a pretty bad use of eighty dollars.  For example, only halfway through 'Blowin' in the Wind' did the crowd catch on to what he was singing and start applauding.


I heartily disagree.  The simple fact that Dylan constantly reworks his songs and his repertoire is precicely why I continue to find him interesting.  This approach to performance is not always sucessful musically, but it's never boring and frequently captivating.  He'll never become a nostalgia act like so many of his contemporaries have; sticking to the greatest hits and playing them exactly as you remember them.   A Bob Dylan concert is little more challenging, but ultimately (for me anyway) much more satisfying.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
ZZ Top in Houston, Radiohead in England
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2003, 10:22:05 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "andalucia"
Good call.  I saw him two years ago and it was arguably a pretty bad use of eighty dollars.  For example, only halfway through 'Blowin' in the Wind' did the crowd catch on to what he was singing and start applauding.

....A Bob Dylan concert is little more challenging, but ultimately (for me anyway) much more satisfying.

~Paul


Challenging is the most absolutely polite way of putting it. But you definitely have proven yourself to be a fan. I find him too hard to understand to really enjoy the songs, and the fact that they are all reworked added to the difficulty in understanding the words makes them hard to identify and, for me, hard to enjoy.

Dylan pretty much defines his own genre, though, and certainly is an icon.

I'm more jealous that you are off to England! Have fun!
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
ZZ Top in Houston, Radiohead in England
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2003, 11:12:51 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
I missed QotSA with Mark Lanegan because it was the same night as Beck with the Flaming Lips.

~Paul


If it was when they had Grohl on the short tour of the State's, I will never forgive you for missing it for the Flaming Lips, who I just don't even understand let alone like!

(Really though... What are/is the Flaming Lips? They don't seem to sound like a band who deserve the attention they get from the bits I've heard!)
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
ZZ Top in Houston, Radiohead in England
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2003, 11:14:10 pm »

I saw Dylan in June and he was fabulous.  I guess he must be an acquired taste, but it's a taste I've have for about 25 years now.  His show was good mix of classics and new materials.  Even though I'm not as familiar with the newer stuff, I was never bored.

Knock Bob Dylan if you want, but nobody, nobody, nobody writes lyrics like him.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
ZZ Top in Houston, Radiohead in England
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2003, 11:48:31 pm »

I am quite a big fan of Bob Dylan's music... which is why it makes me sad to hear him mangle (as I see it) his music.

Edit:  I also very much dig the Flaming Lips, just so I'm completely done choosing sides in this thread...
Logged
goose means greedy

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
ZZ Top in Houston, Radiohead in England
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2003, 12:07:10 am »

Sometimes the Flaming Lips are what get me through my day.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
ZZ Top in Houston, Radiohead in England
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2003, 06:47:35 am »

Yes it was with Dave Grohl in the band, which to me is  even more of an enticement than Mark Lanagen, so yeah, a hell of a show to miss.  If it had been just the Flaming Lips I likely would have chosen QofSA, but it was really Beck I was keen to see.  Having FL as his backing band just made it that much more awesome.  I don't regret my decision because Beck played one of the best shows i've ever seen.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
ZZ Top in Houston, Radiohead in England
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2003, 06:54:49 am »

Quote from: "slink"
(Really though... What are/is the Flaming Lips?


They're a group of psychodelic punks from deep in the heart of cowboy country.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up