Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

THIS SPACE FOR RENT
The tip jar is broken, but Wombat will entertain bribe offers, assuming she can find this edit screen again.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: One way to screen potential employers  (Read 4208 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Dangermoose

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 51
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 191
    • View Profile
One way to screen potential employers
« on: April 24, 2009, 09:49:51 pm »

So apparently a recent interviewee for a job at my office made it known that she "is into 'Gothic Dancing.'"

I did not know that real earnest human non-cartoon cats actually did this.  Always thought Goths just kind of stood around.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: One way to screen potential employers
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 01:30:39 am »

Wow. What kind of office do you work in?

All the resume advice I've seen recommends to leave out personal information, such as personal hobbies. The exception would be unless you have a hobby that illustrates that you pursue work-related interests on your own time, or if you list benign activities such as volunteer work. I cannot imagine listing "gothic dancing" on a resume or job application...but maybe that's just me.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: One way to screen potential employers
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 02:27:20 am »

You know, when I first read the gothic dance type strips, I just assumed that "Bela Lugosi's dead" was... you know... made up.

A ribald exaggeration of the kinds of lyrics one might hear in those genrii of music.

I just assumed that nothing that over the top could be real.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Dangermoose

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 51
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 191
    • View Profile
Re: One way to screen potential employers
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 02:51:31 am »

I just assumed that nothing that over the top could be real.

Well, right, and that's what I thought about Gothic dancing.  Maybe "nothing that over the top could be real" ... but it is ... is the key to understanding goths.  I don't know.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: One way to screen potential employers
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 10:31:41 am »

You know, when I first read the gothic dance type strips, I just assumed that "Bela Lugosi's dead" was... you know... made up.

A ribald exaggeration of the kinds of lyrics one might hear in those genrii of music.

I just assumed that nothing that over the top could be real.

Man, over the top songs are the best.  Bela Lugosi's Dead, 96 Tears, Smoking by SFA, Surfin Bird, anything by the Trashmen really,  Orange Crush even.  These are the songs I love to hear.  That is how I gauge if bands are good, at least they are trying, you know.  Plus it is at least more interesting than people singing love songs to pop or blues or ruining some classic band.  Who needs to hear that again?  I just saw My Bloody Valentine, and they did like a 15 minute 3 chord song with the amps turned louder than you have ever heard and everyone had like 5 delay pedals all turned to the max.  People without earplugs were in serious pain.  Like the opposite of white noise?  It was completely over the top but it felt like you could swim in the fuck*ng air.  One of the best things I have experienced. 
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: One way to screen potential employers
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 02:28:10 am »

so good.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: One way to screen potential employers
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 04:50:04 am »

Who has two thumbs and didn't age well at all?


This chick!
Logged

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: One way to screen potential employers
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 06:50:26 am »

The guy is focusing on his guitar more than he needs to, which is what I would be doing, too.
Logged

herofix

  • Guest
Re: One way to screen potential employers
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 11:53:04 am »

Who has two thumbs and didn't age well at all?


This chick!

She in fact did age well.  She is 51 and looks well for her age.  Her make-up is running in the Madrid heat.  Maybe that's what caused you to be confused about this.
Logged

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: One way to screen potential employers
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 07:29:55 pm »

I believe that I would be running in the Madrid heat. Although it's probably more a function of the Harley Quinn costume than anything else.
Logged

Bimmicus

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 32
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 186
  • Rotten Bastard
    • View Profile
    • SPLUNGE
Re: One way to screen potential employers
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 02:36:10 am »

I'd still let that woman do heinous things to me.

Heinous.
Logged
you can't spank the monkey if he's on your back

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: One way to screen potential employers
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 11:15:51 pm »

Soon to be lost forever due to Geocities' demise: how to gothic dance.
Logged

Alternate

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 51
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 141
  • the dinosaurs died for your sins
    • View Profile
Re: One way to screen potential employers
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2009, 01:01:19 am »

Gothic dancing is actually the only dancing I know how to do, it's a problem at weddings. 
Logged
Science fun fact:  Did you know that sharks are the awesomest of all animals?

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: One way to screen potential employers
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2009, 02:29:07 am »

Soon to be lost forever due to Geocities' demise: how to gothic dance.

Toronto is the gothic capitol of the world?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: One way to screen potential employers
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2009, 09:50:56 am »

I only read the first three, but those are kind of just ecstasy/ tripping if you can dance at the time moves, no?  I think goths rolled a lot, so this makes since maybe.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up