Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I am composing a tone poem about eagles, lawnmowers, and Ted Nugent. It is composed only of the sounds of those things.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: The CD Chain begins:  (Read 7280 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
The CD Chain begins:
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2003, 05:49:54 pm »

I'm not dropping out, but I agree with Carlos that 4 trips to the PO to mail 16 CDs sounds like nine kinds of hassle.  Can't we just mail all of the discs back to you with some cash and have you re-distribute?

Or only trade within our smaller rings?

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm busy and lazy and that the post office tends to be closed when I'm awake, so I make a special trip only once a week.

I guess what I'm also saying is that if I have to mail 16 CDs (I don't even have that many media mailers) I'm going to be the weak link in the chain.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
The CD Chain begins:
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2003, 06:18:48 pm »

You left me off the list too, Mite.

Though I second Jough's apprehension about the multiple rings.  But it's your show....
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
The CD Chain begins:
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2003, 06:33:28 pm »

Okay... I think I understand. I'll do my best to do this, but, well, I'm a college kid. I don't even currently own any media mailers, truth be told. That, and I'll be going home for the holidays, which may make rerouting awkward... but I'll do my best. Of course, if I'll be an impediment, I'll step down.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
The CD Chain begins:
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2003, 07:10:51 pm »

Why is this in The Ball Room?
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
The CD Chain begins:
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2003, 09:38:17 pm »

Yeah, I'm unsure about this format too- partly that I dont understand it (do we end up actually owning cds?  I have a mental picture of them all being sent into some vast incinerator once they've travesed the rings)...
Secondly, I have no job and hence very little money, so I am not super keen on all the mailing and the paying and so forth...
Logged
goose means greedy

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
The CD Chain begins:
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2003, 01:08:58 am »

I would be happy to make five or six copies of mine that I could send to people to keep, and thus avoid some potential re-mailing, and if the ring was only that size everyone could keep a copy, thus avoiding even more mailing.

V-Adore

  • Guest
The CD Chain begins:
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2003, 01:21:17 am »

I really don't mind not hearing everyone's CDs, since I figure we can all post our tracklists anyway and get copies from people if there's something truly mindblowing. Personally, I would prefer something where I sent out five CDs to people, got five in return, and everyone kept them all to something more complicated.
Logged

FeeReep

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 109
    • View Profile
The CD Chain begins:
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2003, 02:30:52 am »

I am a mindless automaton with a large supply of stamps. Instruct me.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
The CD Chain begins:
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2003, 02:34:20 am »

Send all your stamps, cash money, negotiable securities, valuable art objects and interesting electronic devices to me immediately.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

FeeReep

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 109
    • View Profile
The CD Chain begins:
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2003, 03:17:04 am »

On top of everything else you delineated, AW, you were going to take me for my stamps?

damn, dog...
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
The CD Chain begins:
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2003, 04:59:16 am »

Why yes.  Also, if you have a jar of pennies in the basement, send those too.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

FeeReep

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 109
    • View Profile
The CD Chain begins:
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2003, 05:51:43 am »



There is nothing sadder than a penniless automaton who just wants to share the gift of music.
Logged

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
The CD Chain begins:
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2003, 06:00:53 am »

Ok ok ok, I was concerned with creating the ideal cd chain instead of the easiest cd chain. That's fine people - if you all don't feel like suffering a little for your art, I guess that's ok... :wink:

But anyway, how 'bout this: we post our playlists, then pm the people whose cds you like, and work it out individually?
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
The CD Chain begins:
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2003, 06:13:58 am »

I thought the idea was to have a chance to listen to music we otherwise might not encounter...otherwise, it seems suspiciously like file swapping -- not kosher.

I'm all about interlocking chains.  How 'bout this: we have 3 or 4 "teams," and each team has a volunteer "leader."  Each team leader collects disks from each team member, and sends them to the other 2 - 3 team leaders.  Then each team leader distributes all the disks within his/her own team.  This way, everybody gets all the disks, but weak links like Jough only have to make 1 trip to the post office.  I'd be willing to be a "team leader" for one of the groups.  

Go ahead and poke all the holes you like in this idea...it's late and I don't think clearly after 10 PM.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
The CD Chain begins:
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2003, 06:15:04 am »

I think this is a sucky idea, too. To clarify, on edit, I mean Mite's idea not JL's. Haven't digested JL's idea yet.  It may be stupid too.

A large part of the attraction of this thing is that you get random, heretofore unknown tracks from the great rabble outthere on the internet.  If you get to pick and choose which ones you want that whole effect is gone like the wind.

Personally, I want somebody to send me something that I was entirely not expecting and am highly unlikely to enjoy.  Chances are I'll like something that I get that way.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up