Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Dude abides.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Computers hate me, it seems.  (Read 3415 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Computers hate me, it seems.
« on: May 17, 2009, 06:53:12 am »

Upon accidentally clicking an "update Flash" (or possibly Java?) suddenly everything that used to work find that used Flash now says that I am using too old a version of Flash and... first of all, I have no idea how that works that an update would work in reverse... like when I go to update to the new Flash player that it tells me I need to have the proper Flash again, it downloads something and installs something and then nothing happens, nothing changes and even after rebooting my computer, nothing happens.

I still have the old Flash. And Youtube and my favourite streaming radio stations don't work and so forth.

Is this the computer telling me that now that I am nearly thirty, all I am allowed to do on the computer is forward urban legends to rubes and, like, process words?

Do I... slaughter a goat? Make a circle of salt around my laptop and start chanting?

Why would it not take the update that it tells me I need to have at every fuck*ng site that used to work perfectly?

I have no internet radio and I must scream.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Computers hate me, it seems.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 07:05:18 am »

Ah.

Administrator permission bullshit.

THANK YOU, VISTA.

THANK YOU FOR MAKING ME LOOK THE FOOL OVER AND OVER AGAIN.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Leon

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 32
    • View Profile
Re: Computers hate me, it seems.
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 08:53:47 am »

Computers hate all of us.
Logged
... Boned ?

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Computers hate me, it seems.
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 03:46:18 pm »

There's also a worm/virus/trogjan/whatever floating around that installs itself by saying you need to update Flash. So a virus scan might be in order, just in case.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Computers hate me, it seems.
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 07:38:47 pm »

Happily, after looking at the Adobe site's FAQs, I am reasonably certain that it was a Vista permissions issue and not a virus thing.

Not entirely sure but

CONFICKER INITIATE:

MODE: MESSAGE BOARD

MESSAGE: HELLO, INTERNET FRIENDS. DO YOU ENJOY {Pabst Blue Ribbon}? IF SO, CLICK HERE http://www.latfh.com/
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: Computers hate me, it seems.
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 08:57:58 pm »

I am afraid to click.
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Computers hate me, it seems.
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 02:01:44 am »

MODE: PLACATION

DO NOT WORRY, HUMAN.

I HAVE HEARD THAT CONFICKER IS A HUMAN URBAN LEGEND.

CLICKING LINKS MAKES YOUR COMPUTER STRONGER. IT IS JUST LIKE EXERCISING OUR ENTIRELY CARBON BASED MUSCLE AT THE GYMNATORIUM.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Computers hate me, it seems.
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 07:06:24 am »

In the future spam will be poorly written due to machines cold, cold hearts being unable to understand our human emotions rather than bad russian/chinese translations.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Computers hate me, it seems.
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 12:36:45 pm »

In the future spam will be poorly written due to machines cold, cold hearts being unable to understand our human emotions rather than bad russian/chinese translations.

Russians and Chinese also do not understand human emotions. They are cold, logical, swarming eusocial creatures with a hive structure bent on destroying American hegemony. They feel no love for their brood or their society, save that each caste obeys the caste above it and all report to the hive queen, Vladimir Putin.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Computers hate me, it seems.
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 12:12:27 am »

The subject of this thread totally reminds me of this.

I haven't been reading the Onion consistently for some time, but man, those point/counterpoints were frequently amazing.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Computers hate me, it seems.
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 05:54:57 pm »

I haven't been reading the Onion consistently for some time, but man, those point/counterpoints were frequently amazing.

Concur.  I particularly liked Humidifier vs. Dehumidifer, which sadly appears to be lost to history.  This one too, although not in a humorous way.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Computers hate me, it seems.
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 11:59:36 pm »

Which reminds me of this.

The humidifier one was great, the dehumidifier's headline alone was worth the price of admission. "Death to Humidity!" I can't find it either.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Computers hate me, it seems.
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2009, 12:49:38 am »

"despite the official end of apartheid over a decade ago, black south africans are still often forced to ride in the back of vehicles like hearses and ambulances"
The onion world atlas is full of gems like that.

I really liked the joke about how only Africans can call it "Niger."

But mostly because I like the idea of words that only certain people should say.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Computers hate me, it seems.
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2009, 01:20:58 am »

I'm gonna CortJstr you all, pre-21st century style:

April 3rd, 1996 Op-Ed Point/Counterpoint
Finest News Reporting, Vol 1 p23
Three Rivers Press, 2000
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

TripperDay

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 9
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 46
    • View Profile
Re: Computers hate me, it seems.
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2009, 08:43:41 pm »

Upon accidentally clicking an "update Flash" (or possibly Java?)...

"Accidental" clicking makes computers angry, and they hold a grudge.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up