Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I haven't had a haircut since July. I'm hoping to, "wait it out."

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Rediscovered Favorites  (Read 8256 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Rediscovered Favorites
« on: November 24, 2003, 07:56:03 am »

I just downloaded Weezer's first album off iTunes.  I was a freshman in high school when the album originally came out, and I had it on cassette tape.  You know.  Back when Weezer was indie.  But I've rediscovered them (thanks to you fine people) and they bring back some great memories.  What music have you rediscovered recently, and is it always as good as you remembered?  

Weezer.  Tasty as ever.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Rediscovered Favorites
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2003, 11:36:05 am »

The 10 year anniversary of the release of that album is in May. A friend of mine is throwing a party. I will be in another state, and will sit alone, feeling very, very old.

We so used to play that record while playing D&D in 9th grade...

I just rediscovered the Hedwig and the Angry Inch soundtrack. Granded, it'd only been shelved for a year or two, but it was still pleasant.

I tried to rediscover Green Day's Dookie a while ago, but it was still bad.

Also, I was finally able to get over past bad associations (read: creepy guy in high school who was obsessed with me and this artist) and got me some Tom Waits.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Rediscovered Favorites
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2003, 12:41:12 pm »

Quote from: "Mite"
Also, I was finally able to get over past bad associations (read: creepy guy in high school who was obsessed with me and this artist) and got me some Tom Waits.


Ach, if Tom Waits were ruined every time a creepy male acquaintance listened to him...... well dammit.... he'd be pretty goddamn....... ruined.
Logged
goose means greedy

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Rediscovered Favorites
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2003, 04:33:33 pm »

Yeah, but he was more like a creepy male stalker who was always trying to get me to listen. And he's still at it, too (9 years later).
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

sjlimmer

  • Illegal Ghost Bikes
  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 317
  • Insert witty remark here...
    • View Profile
Rediscovered Favorites
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2003, 04:44:24 pm »

Quote from: "Mite"
The 10 year anniversary of the release of that album is in May. A friend of mine is throwing a party. I will be in another state, and will sit alone, feeling very, very old.

We so used to play that record while playing D&D in 9th grade...


I'd have to say that if you were still in high school ten years ago, you're not old (30+ crowd represent!).

As for re-discoveries, a recent one for me was XTC "Nonsuch", which I hadn't listened to in years.
Logged
"That's because you're a mean drunk, and nobody loves you."

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Rediscovered Favorites
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2003, 04:48:26 pm »

Hearing the Twilight Singers (Greg Dulli's new project) on a compilation disc made me go pull out all my Afghan Whigs CDs.  Man did they rock.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Rediscovered Favorites
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2003, 05:45:29 pm »

I hadn't really listened to Nirvana since they were big, and I somehow missed that "Greatest Hits" album they put out last year with the new song on it, so I finally acquired that and dug out my old CDs.  These guys were much better than they received credit for.

And hearing Morphine's "Buena" on a car commercial also was a catalyst for my digging out the old Morphine albums.  Good stuff, but I can only listen to them at night, preferably when it's raining.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Rediscovered Favorites
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2003, 06:10:11 pm »

Quote from: "sjlimmer"

I'd have to say that if you were still in high school ten years ago, you're not old (30+ crowd represent!).


No kidding.  I was 27 when the blue album came out, and I liked it, but it isn't the touchstone for me that it is for the young'uns.  I only liked two songs off of Pinkerton, and that's pretty much it for me.

I recently dug out the Velvet Underground box, Peel Slowly and See, because I woke up one day with "Sunday Morning" stuck on repeat in my head.  I return to the Velvets in ever-widening arcs of time.  Now I'm listening to Loaded for the first time in a while.  

I tried to listen to Nirvana's Bleach and Incesticide over the weekend, and I just can't seem to do it.  It pisses me off too much.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Rediscovered Favorites
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2003, 06:36:19 pm »

Quote from: "Mite"

I tried to rediscover Green Day's Dookie a while ago, but it was still bad.

I suppose this is taste for you, but my rediscovery of Dookie was a very, very sweet thing. Of course, Dookie was, IIRC, the first tape (yes, cassette) I really bought for myself -- at 13, when I was just becoming aware of this whole "rock music" thing. And "When I Come Around" is still a fine, fine track.

My mother, on some sort of dubious memory of me liking them six years ago, sent me the newest Smash Mouth CD for my birthday back in September. I love the damn thing.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Rediscovered Favorites
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2003, 07:05:08 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Of course, Dookie was, IIRC, the first tape (yes, cassette) I really bought for myself -- at 13, when I was just becoming aware of this whole "rock music" thing.


The first album I ever bought myself was Queen, News of the World.  And it was on 8-track.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Rediscovered Favorites
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2003, 07:49:21 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
The first album I ever bought myself was Queen, News of the World.  And it was on 8-track.


KISS ALIVE II.  Double vinyl with the fake tattoos enclosed.  Saved my allowance for weeks to get it.

I wish I could get that excited about buying records again.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Rediscovered Favorites
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2003, 08:26:13 pm »

First album: Billy Joel, Glass Houses. 35+ crowd Represented...
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Rediscovered Favorites
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2003, 08:34:43 pm »

Represent brotha:

Second 8-track buy -- Styx, The Grand Illusion and Kansas, Point of Know Return
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Rediscovered Favorites
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2003, 08:38:47 pm »

My second buy was a problem, because that's when Kiss decided to release their four simultaneous solo albums.  After many hours of decision, I bought the Peter Criss album.  Reasoning: I had a pretty good idea of what the other three LPs would sound like, but no idea whatsoever what the Cat-Man would bring to the table. ( As it turned out: bad lite rock and oldies covers! )

Many, many weeks of allowance lost on those four.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Rediscovered Favorites
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2003, 08:40:47 pm »

Dookie was a pretty good album.  Green Day has become a bit of a joke lately, but their earlier stuff was great.

The first album I ever bought for myself was Miles Davis "Kind of Blue."  Around the same time I pretty much absconded with my parent's copy of Queen's Greatest Hits and was given a copy of Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the U.S.A."

The first single I ever bought was a Chicago song - one of their late 70s/early 80s chick tracks.

Of course, these were all on vinyl.  

I held out on CDs until around 1990 (I know, I know - luddite that I am) but was listening to mostly cassettes of in hindsight horrible punk and hardcore bands during my teen years (although I still like the Sex Pistols and the Dead Kennedys, with a little Minor Threat, Misfits, and Fugazi that I still don't find cheesy).

Then of course, there's The Damned, who are in a class by themselves.

Don't forget the chaosssssssssssssssssssssssss!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up