Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: The first Achewood you saw...  (Read 9807 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Twelvebottoms

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 37
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bumface.co.uk
The first Achewood you saw...
« on: November 24, 2003, 09:36:34 pm »

Or the one that grabbed you and made you a crazed fan.  What was it?

The first I saw was "Ray did you ever think that these crummy chimichangas are my way of reaching out for help dammit"

Hooked ever since...

buhbye
12B

(hullo)
Logged
[size=9]The poorly-educated also enjoy Achewood![/size]

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
The first Achewood you saw...
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2003, 09:43:22 pm »

I think it was around here, though I'm not totally sure... memory hazy...  circuits failing...

Edit:  Wait, I'm on crack.  I was reading Achewood before the summer started.  The strip that V cited was the first one I emailed to my sister to get her hooked.  Uhhh... never mind.  Like I said, I'm not terribly bright.
Logged
goose means greedy

V-Adore

  • Guest
The first Achewood you saw...
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2003, 09:50:01 pm »

"But Ray! Cowboys!"

I wasn't immediately hooked, but it didn't take long.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
The first Achewood you saw...
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2003, 11:01:51 pm »

The first one I read was a rerun of the French Fry Saga (thanks to a Lileks link). I went back to the beginning to get some context. When I got to Bedtime I knew things would be good.
Logged

Twelvebottoms

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 37
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bumface.co.uk
The first Achewood you saw...
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2003, 11:10:13 pm »

Mmm, "what the hell people" is my avatar in a very confrontational forum...

That bedtime joke was used in an episode of the excellent "Father Ted" years ago, Graham Lineham (a British comedy writer) is a fan of Achewood and did one of the fan art strips (the "Lyle's Cussing" strip in miniature),  so the reference really made me  :up: :up:

hmm, I can't find the fan art, where'd it go?
Logged
[size=9]The poorly-educated also enjoy Achewood![/size]

Noah

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 200
    • View Profile
The first Achewood you saw...
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2003, 11:24:34 pm »

Logged

Paisley

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 50
    • View Profile
The first Achewood you saw...
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2003, 12:14:03 am »

A friend of mine started posting URLs to random Achewood strips occasionally. The two that got me checking out the strip were the Liquor Cabinet Taste Test and A Change of Operating systems. I think it was "I typed 'start'. Nothing. Nothing!" that really grabbed me (in the "falling to the ground, drooling helplessly" sense).

I started reading regularly about the time of Teodor's Christmas party.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
The first Achewood you saw...
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2003, 12:35:23 am »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
The first one I read was a rerun of the French Fry Saga (thanks to a Lileks link). I went back to the beginning to get some context.


Et moi, aussi.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
The first Achewood you saw...
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2003, 12:47:00 am »

I find it heartbreaking that I cannot remember.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
The first Achewood you saw...
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2003, 12:56:26 am »

I had heard about Achewood early on, read the first few strips, and thought it was exceptionally lame.

Then back on the day this strip appeared:
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=02072003

My dad, of all people, found a link to Achewood somewhere and thought it was funny and sent it to me.  I randomly read some other strips in the archives and found a few that were funny enough to warrant going back and reading the whole thing.

Since then I've been reading the strip every day.

ferocious j

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 231
    • View Profile
    • http://automatedredemption.com/flavorcountry/
The first Achewood you saw...
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2003, 01:05:45 am »

Damn, not only do I not remember the first one I read, I don't even remember how I got there in the first place.  I don't read Lileks.
Logged
I step to the mic like a Jedi knight
I'm all "off with your head" with my neon light

Twelvebottoms

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 37
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bumface.co.uk
The first Achewood you saw...
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2003, 01:26:48 am »

Quote from: "wombat"
I find it heartbreaking that I cannot remember.


That's a damn shame - the reason I started this thread is because Achewood hit me WHAM straight between the eyes - with the bullet of MIRTH.
Logged
[size=9]The poorly-educated also enjoy Achewood![/size]

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
The first Achewood you saw...
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2003, 01:27:57 am »

Quote from: "jough"
I randomly read some other strips in the archives and found a few that were funny enough to warrant going back and reading the whole thing.

Since then I've been reading the strip every day.


That's about the time I got into it.
It was around Beef and Ray's roadtrip, possibly during.
Though I do kind of utterly fail to remember properly since I read the entire archive the next coupla days.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
The first Achewood you saw...
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2003, 02:03:44 am »

I'm another can't remember.  But I think I got here either through Lileks or Memepool.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Mantonio

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 423
    • View Profile
The first Achewood you saw...
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2003, 04:18:30 am »

I discovered achewood through Ken Layne's blog (www.kenlayne.com).  He linked to the one where Ray and Beef were prank calling Marmaduke.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up